SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Coin help - Not a sale
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Coin help - Not a sale Login/Join 
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted
Does anybody know a decent website for valuing junk silver coins?

This is not a sale. If I can come up with a realistic value and decide to sell, it will be here only, and only in the classifieds with the boss’ permission.

These are not heirlooms or mint coins, just some well circulated US silver that I ended up with due to a death in the family. The entire amount probably isn’t worth more than 2-300 dollars.

To be clear, I am looking for a site that will show actual cash value. Not futures, not what some pristine uncirculated coin is going for on eBay.

The issue is, unlike my gun auction account, I don’t know where to look and I can’t login and see what they’re actually selling for. I have no basis for comparison. If anyone knows a useful free site that can help, please point me the way.

Thank you in advance.

Posts: 10754 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This should get you in the ballpark.

https://www.apmex.com/category...oins-35-40-90-silver

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13401 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
There’s plenty of junk silver coins for sale on eBay.

Posts: 26912 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
There’s plenty of junk silver coins for sale on eBay.

I agree, there's a ton! But how do you find out what it's actually bringing in real money?

I've seen bicentennial quarters on there listed for $1500. Is that real? Are they really selling for that, or is that somebody just looking for a sucker?

At least on GB I can look at closed auctions to see what a person actually paid. If there are several bids and a closing price, you can gauge the market fairly accurately. But where do you go on coins to see similar?

I'll admit I'm out of my depth on this, and I don't necessarily want or need some deep understanding of each coin's heritage and history. I'm not interested in collecting or keeping them. I just want to know if I should sell them at today's higher silver price or throw them in a drawer and forget they exist.

Posts: 10754 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Face value X 0.715 = approx. silver content

silver content x current spot value($28.25 as I type) = value

The above is for junk silver, not numismatics.

Posts: 648 | Location: in the PA woods | Registered: March 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
quote:
Face value X 0.715 = approx. silver content

silver content x current spot value($28.25 as I type) = value

Thanks! That's the kind of math even I can follow.

ETA: Except for numismatics - I'm not even going to pretend to know what that means.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bionic218:
On GB I can look at closed auctions to see what a person actually paid.

On eBay- To the right of the Search Bar / Click Advanced / Just below the Blue Search Button Check "Sold Items". Then search= It'll show you the Sold Items. It can be Sorted High to Low, Recent etc.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13401 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
quote:
On eBay- To the right of the Search Bar / Click Advanced / Just below the Blue Search Button Check "Sold Items".

Excellent tip, thank you.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bionic218:
ETA: Except for numismatics - I'm not even going to pretend to know what that means.

Just means coins that have collector value.

Posts: 648 | Location: in the PA woods | Registered: March 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
I always have this page open. Hope you get a decent price.

https://coinvalues.com/silver#google_vignette

Posts: 3522 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I will add that my local pawn shop has been selling pre-65 US coins, through 50 cents pieces, "junk silver", for 22x face value, and paying 15x face value. So 10 dimes would cost $22. If I sold, I would want more than 15x face though. Hope that helps. Silver dollars are another animal, they get about $30 each for Morgan and Peace dollars.

Posts: 105 | Registered: January 09, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
Pawn shops usually aren't the best places to base any sort of pricing off of.

The math above will give you the spot price, with most dealers buying at/below that number, and selling above that number.

One of the large dealers in my area with spot at $28.61 is paying $19.06-$19.35 per $1 face, and selling at $20.96-$21.39. Common Morgan/Peace buying at $20.00-$27.00, selling at $25.00-$31.75

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15719 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
One of the large dealers in my area with spot at $28.61 is paying $19.06-$19.35 per $1 face, and selling at $20.96-$21.39. Common Morgan/Peace buying at $20.00-$27.00, selling at $25.00-$31.75

Damn near dead on to what the 2 closest guys to me are doing. My go to guy told me that once he has to go above $21.50 / $1.00, his sales nosedive.

posted Hide Post
I always use coinflation.com

Posts: 817 | Registered: February 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have about 30lbs of silver bars that I forgot about until I started doing some spring cleaning.

Posts: 74 | Location: Delco and LBI | Registered: April 20, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for your help with this. I think I can come up with a reasonable number from what's been given here.

Like I said, if I decide to sell, I'll clear it with Para and only list them here.

Thanks again!

My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
I’d contact David Troung.

Posts: 12922 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post