SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Shooting Range discrimination

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Shooting Range discrimination Login/Join 
posted
A family that I have been friends with for over four decades owns a very large shooting facility in South Florida. It has pistol target ranges, combat bays, trap, skeet, 5-stand and up to 500 yard rifle ranges.

On any week-end, there are over 100 shooters of all types: individuals, couples, families etc. out for a day of recreational shooting.

Last week, the radio and TV stations refused to take any more ads and cancelled current advertising!

The Workman’s Compensation carrier cancelled.

The Liability insurer cancelled his policy!

All attributed it to the rioting and demonstrations going on across the country.

Sadly, legal counsel advises that there is no recourse. They are now scrambling to find coverage at almost any price.

Apparently many other, if not all, ranges are having the same issues.

Have any Forum members heard of this?

No quarter
.308/.223

Posts: 2085 | Location: Central Florida.  | Registered: March 04, 2009Report This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Seems the insurance companies would be canceling Dollar General stores and such not gun ranges...

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Report This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
No problems here. Both ranges advertise on TV and radio frequently.

I think you are being fed something.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37118 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Hopefully this isn’t Okeechobee Shooting Sports.

Posts: 3340 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:

I think not as far as the families’ range is concerned. I was with the owner while he was scrambling on the phone.

The info about other ranges is rumored, which is why I inquired. I am happy to hear it has not happened in your locale!

No quarter
.308/.223

Posts: 2085 | Location: Central Florida.  | Registered: March 04, 2009Report This Post
posted Hide Post
It has nothing to do with the riots and everything to do with the anti-gun crowd pressuring insurance companies to drop policies on anything firearms related. Similar to a few banks and CC processing companies refusing to do business with gun shops, NRA etc.

Posts: 1627 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Report This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by calugo:
It has nothing to do with the riots and everything to do with the anti-gun crowd pressuring insurance companies to drop policies on anything firearms related. Similar to a few banks and CC processing companies refusing to do business with gun shops, NRA etc.

This right here, I betchya.

Speaking of the NRA, perhaps your range owner friends can contact them for assistance on carriers to reach out to? I wonder if the NRA would be interested in the names of the companies who dropped this range?

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I forgot to mention they have to get a new credit card processor as well!

No quarter
.308/.223

Picture of Jimg1960
posted Hide Post
Sounds like he pissed off some heavy weight in town. All those different companies canceling at the same time is fishy.

Posts: 301 | Location: Tennessee  | Registered: July 08, 2018Report This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tleddy:
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:

I think not as far as the families’ range is concerned. I was with the owner while he was scrambling on the phone.

The info about other ranges is rumored, which is why I inquired. I am happy to hear it has not happened in your locale!

So, it's your position that it is a grand conspiracy, in FLORIDA, involving a half dozen different organizations in several different locales. All at once.

And it is affecting one range? And it is discrimination?

Color me skeptical.

EDITED- Just checked with two more ranges in Kentucky and Northern Tennessee where I shoot IDPA and USPSA at. No issues.

www.opspectraining.com

Posts: 37118 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Report This Post
I Wanna Missile
Picture of tanksoldier
posted Hide Post
quote:
So, it's your position that it is a grand conspiracy, in FLORIDA, involving a half dozen different organizations in several different locales.

No there is a grand conspiracy in the anti gun movement.

It is organized and it does exist.

Most of these large companies, insurance and credit card, are not headquartered in Florida.

I’d contact the NRA and see if they have a list. The NRA a program to help shooting ranges start up, and part of that would be insurance.

"I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight."
GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Posts: 21542 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: January 25, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ARMT Guy:
quote:

This right here, I betchya.

Speaking of the NRA, perhaps your range owner friends can contact them for assistance on carriers to reach out to? I wonder if the NRA would be interested in the names of the companies who dropped this range?

Hee hee, like the NRA is going to actually do something to the companies that dropped coverage and services. Still, they might be able to provide alternates.

Posts: 3340 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
You are certainly allowed skepticism... I will check around and see what I can find out...

Other range owners feel free to contribute...

No quarter
.308/.223

Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tanksoldier:
quote:
So, it's your position that it is a grand conspiracy, in FLORIDA, involving a half dozen different organizations in several different locales.

No there is a grand conspiracy in the anti gun movement.

It is organized and it does exist.

Most of these large companies, insurance and credit card, are not headquartered in Florida.

I’d contact the NRA and see if they have a list. The NRA a program to help shooting ranges start up, and part of that would be insurance.

Sigh.

It's funny. Right now in this country, people are blaming the cops for all evil that goes on. When someone gets in trouble for something they do, instead of another possibility (such as they actually were at fault) it is always a conspiracy. Attorney's always say "My client welcomes his day in court to clear his good name". Six months later, he quietly pleads guilty. Sometimes, most of the time, there are much more logical answers.

When these logical answers are brought up, you will always have those that chime in and say "BUT POLICE VIOLENCE IS REALZ". Yep, in some cases it is. But, to discount that there might be other reasons that this is HAPPENING ALL OF SUDDEN TO ONE RANGE is intellectually dishonest. This thread started down this road by the OP claiming "discrimination" in the title. If he'd said "problems" instead, I'd have been a little bit more receptive.

Sometimes there are other answers for why things happen. Sometimes, it is much easier to claim discrimination, than to admit other problems exist.

Or to put it another way, where else in society have we heard jumping to "discrimination" instead of weighing other options or possibilities? Now apply those various standards here and you can see my skepticism. We just seem to be more receptive because if true, it's an issue that pisses us off.

www.opspectraining.com

posted Hide Post
Frome an article in Forbes:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/e...k-jail/#6cb135403c68

"And Jeff Wait, who owns Okeechobee Shooting Sports, finds it particularly galling that “companies like Facebook and Google deny us the ability to advertise because it "could" lead to the sale or use of a firearm but gladly take the millions of dollars in ad revenues from companies like Walmart and Basspro, which are some of the largest firearms retailers in the world. Their moral high ground seems to not be so high if you spend enough money with them.”

No quarter
.308/.223

posted Hide Post
jljones-

I see that your company is sponsoring a training event in Okeechobee. Perhaps you could check with the range owner directly and see if such has happened to them.

I had asked for feed-back in my original post, so this might be helpful.

My post about Facebook is supportive of discrimination agains firearms in general; I think you would agree that the Facebook policy is, indeed, discriminatory.

I apologize for my syntax being confusing.

No quarter
.308/.223

posted Hide Post
I totally agree with jljones... to extrapolate from what a tiny fraction of police interactions with black men to the generalized position of overall discrimination is true intellectual dishonesty.

Sadly, the 99% of benign interactions are ignored - no headlines there...

quote:
It's funny. Right now in this country, people are blaming the cops for all evil that goes on. When someone gets in trouble for something they do, instead of another possibility (such as they actually were at fault) it is always a conspiracy. Attorney's always say "My client welcomes his day in court to clear his good name". Six months later, he quietly pleads guilty. Sometimes, most of the time, there are much more logical answers.

When these logical answers are brought up, you will always have those that chime in and say "BUT POLICE VIOLENCE IS REALZ". Yep, in some cases it is. But, to discount that there might be other reasons that this is HAPPENING ALL OF SUDDEN TO ONE RANGE is intellectually dishonest. This thread started down this road by the OP claiming "discrimination" in the title. If he'd said "problems" instead, I'd have been a little bit more receptive.

Sometimes there are other answers for why things happen. Sometimes, it is much easier to claim discrimination, than to admit other problems exist.

Or to put it another way, where else in society have we heard jumping to "discrimination" instead of weighing other options or possibilities? Now apply those various standards here and you can see my skepticism. We just seem to be more receptive because if true, it's an issue that pisses us off.

No quarter
.308/.223

Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
That was all I'm saying. There might be other factors at work........

I don't want to see any pro-2A group fall on hard times. I also don't want us to lose our ability to look at each item without the lens of just claiming "discrimination".

www.opspectraining.com