SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Time for a new AVR?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Time for a new AVR? Login/Join 
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted
My quite new Yamaha Aventage RX-A2A single HDMI OUT stopped working.
Tried a few things and as a last resort i did a full reset. Big mistake.
Now, without a display, i can not configure it. Didn’t fix anything, complicated things a lot more.

I see my model has been discontinued, have no clue why.
Bought it knowing it had the HDMI Bug but hoping it was a software glitch and Yamaha would take care of it. It wasn’t, they didn’t, in my particular case.
Been a Yamaha fan for 40 years or more. My previous amp, 1999 model, still works fine. The A2A crapping the bed so soon is a huge disappointment.

Time for a new brand?

I need 7.x speakers and the current bells and whistles. Medium size room, watching movies, gaming and listening to music are, in order, my priorities.
The unit should be able to handle 2 consoles, a PC, NAS, Dvd player and maybe the occasional extra device. Networking a must.

Anybody wanting to share current findings is welcome.

I am extremely upset right now. Raging mad, a better description.
Not much hope this can be fixed locally, imports being so restricted and expensive, parts are nobody’s priority.

Just checked local prices and we pay 3x yours. Ouch!

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12215 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
Most recent AVR's are ARM-based single-board computers running Linux. Open the case, and examine the motherboard closely. You may well find a pin-out for a second HDMI display, or that the HDMI socket needs a little soldering touch up, or a serial console port. Of course the manufacturer would rather have you buy a new unit rather than fix it yourself.

You might also want to try connecting to the unit over WiFi or wired, port scan it to see if there are any listening ports, then try HTTP, SSH, etc. to see if you get anything useful.

Posts: 6647 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
More light than heat
Picture of Milliron
posted Hide Post
The RX-A2A is currently listed for sale on Crutchfield

"Age does not bring wisdom. Often it merely changes simple stupidity into arrogant conceit. It's only advantage, so far as I have been able to see, is that it spans change. A young person sees the world as a still picture, immutable. An old person has had his nose rubbed in changes and more changes and still more changes so many times that that he knows it is a moving picture, forever changing. He may not like it--probably doesn't; I don't--but he knows it's so, and knowing is the first step in coping with it."

Robert Heinlein

Posts: 8830 | Location: West Chester, Ohio | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
^^^^^ $2300 on sale, locally. Hard to find too.

Following a thread here, few years ago, i was tempted to buy the V6A that was newer and had better features than the A2A but there were none left in the local market, since ages ago. You can buy what you find for how long as it lasts. Usually there are just a few units nationwide.

Mine is part of the bugged HDMI series. Not sure what are they selling nowadays.

architect post is all news to me. Will get the blueprints if i can. The unit had it’s own wireless fixed IP but it’s not reaching out. My bad for doing the full reset.

0-0

Posts: 12215 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Looks like a nice unit and one I might have considered buying. Sorry to hear about the issues.

For more than 10 years, I've only bought Integra. I liked the way they sounded. But only used; new was priced too high for me. But I've bought extras as well that just sit on a shelf in case the ones I'm using go bad since Integra is disappearing from the market.

After Integra becomes unavailable, I'll probably look at Marantz next, or perhaps a higher end brand. But my hearing is going (I'm losing highs) so may not spend much moving forward. But I'll look for music first and just accept whatever is provided for AV. Usually AV is not an issue. Denon may be on the short list too.

Hope you get yours fixed.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12971 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Thank you. I just saw the name Integra for the first time earlier today. Might have seen them without paying attention.

Used units are sold in my country , probably with some years of continued use, at prices matching or even more expensive than the current model abroad. Insane.
My old Yamaha flagship A1, 24 YO, is valued around $1500. Someone was selling a 14YO Denon Flagship at $1400.
No parts, no servicing , too much risk of a lemon.

Just for fun, recently bought a second 25Yo sub and an almost as old pair of Center speakers to poay with the A1. Just because the sockets were there , never used before. All works.

Hope this is just a hiccup.

0-0

More light than heat
Picture of Milliron
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 0-0:
^^^^^ $2300 on sale, locally. Hard to find too.

Following a thread here, few years ago, i was tempted to buy the V6A that was newer and had better features than the A2A but there were none left in the local market, since ages ago. You can buy what you find for how long as it lasts. Usually there are just a few units nationwide.

Mine is part of the bugged HDMI series. Not sure what are they selling nowadays.

architect post is all news to me. Will get the blueprints if i can. The unit had it’s own wireless fixed IP but it’s not reaching out. My bad for doing the full reset.

0-0

Is it possible to get something shipped to BsAs? Surely so, and worth it even with the shipping cost.

"Age does not bring wisdom. Often it merely changes simple stupidity into arrogant conceit. It's only advantage, so far as I have been able to see, is that it spans change. A young person sees the world as a still picture, immutable. An old person has had his nose rubbed in changes and more changes and still more changes so many times that that he knows it is a moving picture, forever changing. He may not like it--probably doesn't; I don't--but he knows it's so, and knowing is the first step in coping with it."

Robert Heinlein

Posts: 8830 | Location: West Chester, Ohio | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
I thought you were going to have heart operation. The first thing that came to mind, when I saw AVR is, Aortic Valve Replacement. Eek

Q

Posts: 27155 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Milliron:

Is it possible to get something shipped to BsAs? Surely so, and worth it even with the shipping cost.

0-0 will tell you that the import duties are outrageous making this option untenable.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16418 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
The whole Tariffs and Import Duties is designed to protect (worthless or imaginary) local industries and benefit the Government. Been like this since the begining of time.
The City of Buenos Aires was established by people comng from the north (current Paraguay) where the original entry port and Customs for the Viceroyalty was established. Cane down river to smuggle and avoid the Spanish Crown rules and regulations. The English and French were happy to help.

Local captains of industry as lighting fast to import whatever goods from abroad and charge ridiculous prices rather than invest in local production.

Such are the ways of our economy.

0-0