SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What are your passions that we don’t know about......
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What are your passions that we don’t know about...... Login/Join 
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I collect items of cobalt glass, and have more than 300 pieces. This is just a small sample (cat is incidental).
DSC_0041a.jpg by David Casteel, on Flickr

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4x5:
... 8-bit computers.
Like Vic 20s, C64s and Timex Sinclairs or more esoteric things? Either way, I'd like to hear more.

Posts: 45374 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sybo:
What are your hobbies, passions, that are a big part of your life that we at Sigforum don’t know about. What are yours. Show us!!!!!!!!! Pics mandatory.

Mine is music, particularly guitar. Finally, at a stage in my life where I can fulfill lifelong desires to learn to play. It has been an on-off thing my whole life. Now it’s “the” time.

Some of my fold... https://imgur.com/a/cUL7GVm
I've been eyeballing some of the PRS guitars. I can't justify the loot since I'm not in a band anymore and I've got too many that I don't play.

Nice stuff, man. Smile

Posts: 45374 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
quote:
... 8-bit computers.
Like Vic 20s, C64s and Timex Sinclairs or more esoteric things? Either way, I'd like to hear more.

I'm very interested in the history of computing, but my main focus is on the old 8-bit machines of the late 70's and early 80's, so, yeah, C64, Vic20, Apple, TRS-80 etc. I grew up in that era, and learned to write in assembly language on my C64, and to this day, I like to try my hand at writing games in 6510 assembly.

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4930 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Snow Skiing there is nothing in life I enjoy to do more than snow skiing.

Though getting to do it is very few and far between anymore.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25423 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
... 8-bit computers.

I'm very interested in the history of computing, but my main focus is on the old 8-bit machines of the late 70's and early 80's, so, yeah, C64, Vic20, Apple, TRS-80 etc. I grew up in that era, and learned to write in assembly language on my C64, and to this day, I like to try my hand at writing games in 6510 assembly.
Nice. My first computer was a TI-99/4A so I started with 16-bit. Mostly did Basic and Extended Basic on it.

Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
... 8-bit computers.

Nice. My first computer was a TI-99/4A so I started with 16-bit. Mostly did Basic and Extended Basic on it.
The TI was a great little computer. Way ahead of it's time.

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4930 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Music - I love to sing in a choir, Play guitar in a rock band and play trombone in a swing band.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Lets see, motorcycles, at present modifying my 82 Harley again. My 02 is my daily driver in good weather. Started off roading with my 12 Wrangler, mildly modified or as some in my club refer to it as a baby Jeep.

Still have interest in old cars, my restored 67 Pontiac 2+2, have a hot rod 55 Buick I need to get back into, had planned with a couple of friends to get it on the road but the plague put that off for now. Maybe this year.

My shooting passion is old rimfires. 1930's through the 1970's. I indulge when I can.

Retirement job after 47 years in car dealership parts departments, now I work in a Harley dealership, started part time in 99, now work two or three days a week, have to keep busy.

One of my friends strives for his bike club's high mileage award, he and I get together for some rides when our schedules mesh. Holding off for a winery run maybe in April, the stash is getting low here.

Genealogy has been a winter pursuit. The things I have found out. Actually have found out that seven generations back from my great-great grandmother I have an Ottawa male in the lineage. Tracing other bits and pieces I found out that a "aunt" that I met in 1960 was actually the second wife of my great great grandfather, he died in 1940, "aunt" died in late 1960 a few months after I met her. Found his house online with Zillow, was able to take a tour of it, next best thing to actually walking through it.

This and the usual daily mundane things that happen with wife, children, grandchildren, dogs, cats, friends, etc.

Just a day in the life.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8104 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Swordknives
posted Hide Post
I teach and compete in historical sword fighting. Mostly 17th century Italian rapier but I like doing a bunch of different forms.

Right now I’m teaching a class based on english baskethilt and saber fighting systems of the early 1800s

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Posts: 1401 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: July 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I collect scales and balances. My oldest belonged to my grandfather who traded gold during the Depression. This is a fold up balance that holds everything in a neatly sized wooden box. The weights are in troy ounces and pennyweights. Under the large brass cover in front are a bunch of very light weights.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10786 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used to live and breathe waterfowl hunting. Started collecting calls and decoys, I eventually sold off most of it. I only duck hunt a handful of times a year anymore instead of daily and chasing birds state to state. I’ve started picking up a few calls here and there again. I met and made some of the best people I’ve ever known in my life thru my passion. It’s not the same anymore though as before the internet, not bad, just not the same. The old days of the shows are over. The days of click and buy have taken over. Again not bad by any means, just miss the personal interaction of going to waterfowl shows of the old days.

Posts: 457 | Location: Marblehead ohio | Registered: January 05, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Swordknives:
I teach and compete in historical sword fighting. Mostly 17th century Italian rapier but I like doing a bunch of different forms.

Right now I’m teaching a class based on english baskethilt and saber fighting systems of the early 1800s

Are you familiar with the Spanish novelist, Arturo Perez-Reverte? If not, I think you would enjoy reading him. The Captain Alatriste series would be right up your alley, as well as his novel, The Fencing Master.

Posts: 13263 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:
I collect scales and balances. My oldest belonged to my grandfather who traded gold during the Depression. This is a fold up balance that holds everything in a neatly sized wooden box. The weights are in troy ounces and pennyweights. Under the large brass cover in front are a bunch of very light weights.

Pretty cool hobby, my friend. I know two couples from up here in Wyoming that have property down around Congress and snowbird down there. One of these days...

Posts: 13263 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Aviation! More specifically radio control aviation. Including everything from small electric helicopters to multi engine warbirds, to very large turbine powered jets and a lot of others that fit in between those categories. I've been in this flying hobby since spring of 1983.

20180528_134847[1] by John Collins, on Flickr

20200802_091804 by John Collins, on Flickr

20200702_104140 by John Collins, on Flickr

20200420_092235 by John Collins, on Flickr

20200420_091835 by John Collins, on Flickr

20200327_175143 by John Collins, on Flickr

20191122_094635 by John Collins, on Flickr
20191109_160246 by John Collins, on Flickr

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Steve Collins,

Posts: 693 | Location: E. Central Missouri | Registered: January 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Collins:
Aviation! More specifically radio control aviation. Including everything from small electric helicopters to multi engine warbirds, to very large turbine powered jets and a lot of others that fit in between those categories. I've been in this flying hobby since spring of 1983.

Where are the pictures? My stepson is into RC planes, but is into aerobatic models as opposed to scale warplanes. It's fun to watch him fly.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have never mastered photos on Sig Forum. I don't know what is necessary in order to upload them.

By golly, finally figgered it out! See above

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Steve Collins,

Posts: 693 | Location: E. Central Missouri | Registered: January 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
My plans. Buying 120 acres in the wastelands of _______ (but there will be some water and trees). Building a house of native stone. Visiting the local gunstore, buying a round of beef jerky for all, and explaining which shotgun, revolver, longgun, and semi-auto handgun I want - all used, nothing new. Then I am going to buy a case of beer and a pack of smokes and howl at the moon.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Collins:
I have never mastered photos on Sig Forum. I don't know what is necessary in order to upload them.

If you email them to me at the address in my profile I'll post them for you. JPEG would be best.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
I’ve collected Transformers (robotic toys) since their release under the name in 1983. I still have all the original Generation One toys that I acquired as a kid.

Posts: 13743 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post