SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    DIY Micarta scales
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

DIY Micarta scales Login/Join 
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
That blue came out much better with the clear resin.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
Well my first time working with the clear resin making blue scratch pad Micarta didn’t turn out as well as expected.
It’s tough to get smooth.
But no excuses, here’s round two of the Scotch Brite Micarta.

The fiberglass resin next to the clear resin.
Both using the same blue scratch pad

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6932 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Character, above all else
Picture of Tailhook 84
posted Hide Post
I think they look cool and rustic as-is, especially the blue one. Are you going to sell these, and if so, for how much?

"The Truth, when first uttered, is always considered heresy."

Posts: 2541 | Location: West of Fort Worth | Registered: March 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
I actually like the first one made with the non-clear resin better.

Given the material of the scotch bright pad, will that keep it from getting smooth?

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38678 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
6guns - I have no idea.
I was wondering if bits of it were coming off and causing / preventing it from attaining a mirror finish.
But the fiberglass resin one finished out much nicer.
I have a green scratch pad I’m going to use with the fiberglass resin since it wants to have a green tint I’m not going to fight it.
I’ll also try the blue again without as much clamping pressure.

Tailhook - I’m currently just playing around trying to figure out the best way to make these things & how to work with materials I’m not familiar with.
Most of these will go to guys I’ve served with for Xmas presents.
But I’m keeping some set aside for Karmas on here.
I want to get them all finished so I can shoot a few pics of them side by side before giving them all away.

I’d have to get much better & much faster at making them for me to make a .10¢ off them.
I’m too slow going from rough Forged to polished steel right now. But I’m having a lot of fun learning.
Until then I’ll just be giving them away .
The Micarta takes longer to shape & polish out than a wood handle.
But I like having a variety in materials and the Micarta has a lot of potential if I can get it figured out for what I want to do with it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GrumpyBiker,

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

Posts: 6932 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
The bottle openers are looking great! Very nice dimpling where the top is caught. The 'flange engaging nib' and 'engaging edge' it is called in patent documents. Wow, the number of bottle opener patents is staggering.

Your efforts have given me an idea. The stand mixer locking lever on my KitchenAid counter mixer has lost the pressed-on plastic nob on its end. I could take the assembly apart and make my own knob, riveting it in place, like your scales.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
For those interested, I was able to get three more openers finished today.
A large green layered Micarta with a lanyard pin (never used these before) ,
A smaller black layered Micarta “ice breaker” opener and a oak handled one.
I’ll post some step by step pics on these for anyone interested.

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

Picture of C-Dubs
posted Hide Post
Wow, I really like the black/green laminate micarta after you finished shaping it!

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

Posts: 2863 | Location: SE WI | Registered: October 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
Then I’ll start with that one.

I used 4 layers of green & 2 of black .
I was afraid it would be too dark & blend in with the black too much but it seems to have turned out okay.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GrumpyBiker,

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
The wood handles are easier for me as it’s a medium I’m much more familiar with.

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
Black Micarta

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

Sound and Fury
Picture of Dallas239
posted Hide Post
Had never heard of this before, but those are totally cool.

"I've spoken of the shining city all my political life, but I don't know if I ever quite communicated what I saw when I said it. But in my mind it was a tall proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, wind-swept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace, a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity, and if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here." -- Ronald Reagan, Farewell Address, Jan. 11, 1989

Si vis pacem para bellum
There are none so blind as those who refuse to see.
Feeding Trolls Since 1995

Posts: 18039 | Registered: February 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
What a fun project! I have been tempted to make some myself, but I need more projects like a hole in the head. Merry Christmas by the way!!

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post