SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Census Bureau Says It "Significantly" Miscounted Population In More Than 1/4 Of States In 2020 Census
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Census Bureau Says It "Significantly" Miscounted Population In More Than 1/4 Of States In 2020 Census Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I would like to be as dismissive, but ehhh.
"Computing Apportionment" for congressional seats:
https://www.census.gov/topics/...about/computing.html

even under counting a "blue" state can help once side thanks to the math above and the geography of districts...this doesn't mean a blue state being undercounted hurts democrat congressional districts...
https://projects.fivethirtyeig...-2022-maps/illinois/

the blue cores surrounded by an ocean of red kind of thing.

on and on, you can spend quite some time doing the "apportionment" math and transpose it onto these ridiculously drawn districts, approved by state governments...and sometimes taken to court...its an ugly business.

I would hope its just incompetence, but thanks to the total fog over such topics, if someone came along with a data driven case of "plotters" I would not be surprised.

Posts: 775 | Location: FL | Registered: November 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
I am still puzzled why if it was just a plot it’s being admitted now.

Not saying it's a plot - not saying it's not - but when one is facing an election one might lose, casting doubt on the basis for allocating seats (i.e., the census) may be an attempt to get a 'talking point' later.

Here's a link from the NPR article referred to as a source in the OP article:
quote:
These revelations come after the population totals from a census beset by the coronavirus pandemic and years of interference from former President Donald Trump's administration have already been used to divvy up seats in the House of Representatives, as well as votes in the Electoral College, for the next decade.

That's their angle. "Boo hoo hoo, it's the Ghost of Trump, haunting us for the next 10 years!!!! And the ongoing effect of Covid!!!"

What is interesting to me, aside from the spin, are two things.

1) Think of the actual numbers involved. Overcounting NY State population by 3.4%, given the 2020 Census said there were 20.1M inhabitants, means an error of 717,400. That's a lot of phony people.... I would want to know, if I were paying someone to do a count, precisely how that happened.

2) While they do say that some decisions other than political seat apportioning will be done based on the adjusted numbers, I didn't see any mention of investigation or corrective action being taken. Maybe it is, and just didn't get reported on. Maybe.

Posts: 15037 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
Okaaayyy...

Now that they have recognized this and documented it, here's a suggestion...

MAKE THE CORRECTION!

But NOOOO! There's some hogwash reason they have for that. Besides, it would negate the gains the left realized from it.

We're gonna need a rope.

Posts: 2833 | Registered: May 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Someone in the undercounted states need to file a lawsuit to get and injunction to halt any use of the census. Unless that happens, and the injunction gets granted, everything is going to move forward as if the census was correct.

quote:
Originally posted by Snapping Twig:
Okaaayyy...

Now that they have recognized this and documented it, here's a suggestion...

MAKE THE CORRECTION!

But NOOOO! There's some hogwash reason they have for that. Besides, it would negate the gains the left realized from it.

We're gonna need a rope.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Well....maybe we have a smoking gun after all...

WSJ: Non-paywalled article: "Who Rigged the Census?" by The Editorial Board
Emphasis, mine:
quote:
For households that didn’t respond to the survey, bureaucrats imputed how many people live at an address using other government data such as welfare benefits or literally their best hunch.

Hmmm....in Democratic strongholds, as opposed to Republican, using welfare rolls to count the number of people comes up with an overcount....Hmmmmm

Anyone want to take three guesses as to why that would be? Nah, should only take one. Roll Eyes

Posts: 15037 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post