SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Another Beech Bonanza gone – a V-Tail model?
Page 1 2 3 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Another Beech Bonanza gone – a V-Tail model? Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
Video and photos in article. Headline mistakenly says it’s a jet.

“…
According to the Federal Aviation Administration, a single-engine Beechcraft Bonanza plane crashed in Pembroke Pines shortly after it took off from North Perry Airport at around 3pm…”

https://mol.im/a/9365263

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8980 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Report This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Another Beech Bonanza gone – a V-Tail model?
No, not a V-tail. There are three models in the Bonanza family; the 35 is the V-tail series, the 33, originally launched as the Debonair with a name change to Bonanza in later models, is similar to the 35, but with a conventional tail, and the 36 series is the "stretch limo" model, also with a conventional tail. The video shows that the airplane in question is a 36.

The reporting is terrible, not at all unusual though in aviation news. Some reports state that the airplane departed from North Perry, other reports indicate that it was arriving at that airport.

As far as calling it a jet, there are a few Bonanzas that have been converted to turbine engines, making them turbo-props (or "jet props"). The T-34 Mentor, a military trainer based on the Bonanza, had piston engines through the B model; the C model had a turbine engine.

I have not seen any report in which the N-number (registration number) of this airplane has been released, nor can I see it in the video. My ex-partner sold the V-tail (Frown) and bought a 36 series, like the one that crashed, and his new home base is North Perry. As of now, I have no idea whether this could have been his airplane.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30702 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Report This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
That looked like a full load of fuel.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34126 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Report This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
The sound in the video has a woosh jet like sound and high pitch whine just before impact which made me wonder if it was a conversion. Maybe they all sound like that at that point. Does the subsequent fire look like AvGas or Jet-A? It doesn't make a whoomph when it lights and seems to light slowly.

Posts: 10973 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Report This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:

That looked like a full load of fuel.
That would tend to indicate a departure, rather than an arrival.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30702 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Report This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
N236BC. Was listed in Trade a Plane for $299,000. Not a conversion. From the ad: "The importation of this aircraft from South Africa has just been completed. Very dry climate. Aircraft is Pristine!" Engine had 357 hours SNEW.

Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I watched a small fiberglass plane make a forced landing onto 400S one day and he slid into the median wheels up, shearing one of the wings.

Not a drop of fuel was to be smelled at the scene.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34126 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Report This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I read somewhere that the plane stopped there, filled up and passengers got on.
My nonprofessional guess, a weight & balance mistake.
The fuel fire looks like avgas to me, not jet fuel that I'd expect to be more smokey.
Really bad luck for the folks in the car that was hit.

Posts: 9527 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Report This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 15909 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd heard and read several reports that the plane had just taken off but was trying to make it back to the airport after the pilot reporting some sort of problem with the plane. There is similar mention of this in the Sun Sentinel article link.

-MG

Posts: 2001 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Report This Post
Picture of Sock Eating Golden
posted Hide Post
Unbelievably shitty thing to publish the picture of the woman who "appeared conscious and alert" that her dead son was being extricated from the car. While wearing only her bra.

Nick

"I cannot imagine any condition which would cause a ship to founder. I cannot conceive of any vital disaster happening to this vessel. Modern shipbuilding has gone beyond that."
-Capt. Edward Smith

Posts: 5795 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: November 17, 2003Report This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:

N236BC.
Where did you find that information? I looked at all the news articles that I could find, never saw the registration number.

This is a B-36TC. Longer wingspan than the more common A-36, turbo-charged piston engine. Better suited for high altitude, long range flights, than most other Bonanza models.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Picture of Sock Eating Golden
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:

N236BC.
Where did you find that information? I looked at all the news articles that I could find, never saw the registration number.

This is a B-36TC. Longer wingspan than the more common A-36, turbo-charged piston engine. Better suited for high altitude, long range flights, than most other Bonanza models.
This youtube video references the above tail. But not their source.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?..._channel=FSXAviation

Nick

"I cannot imagine any condition which would cause a ship to founder. I cannot conceive of any vital disaster happening to this vessel. Modern shipbuilding has gone beyond that."
-Capt. Edward Smith

Posts: 5795 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: November 17, 2003Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I doubt it was weight and balance, not with just 2 on board. If the pilot did report and issue and was trying to turn back to the airport, most likely cause is he let her get too slow and stall/spun it in.

From the youtube link:
quote:
The aircraft took off from North Perry Airport in Hollywood, Florida, on Runway 10 Left. It appears the Beechcraft Bonanza 36 had engine trouble and the pilot attempted a 180-degree turn to land on Runway 28 Left, which is less than 1500 feet south of the departure runway.

Landing straight-ahead under control anywhere is far more survivable than a stall/spin going for an ideal landing spot.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Report This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
Damn V-Tail!
You really know your shit!

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8369 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Strambo:
I doubt it was weight and balance, not with just 2 on board. If the pilot did report and issue and was trying to turn back to the airport, most likely cause is he let her get too slow and stall/spun it in.

My money is on a fuel system issue. Rubber doesn't react well to sitting. Lot of speculation in other online communities, some from people with first hand knowledge of this plane.

posted Hide Post
Given no facts in evidence, other than an explosion and a very inaccurate, incomplete "news" article, one would be hard pressed to determine fuel system status, weight and balance, or any other potential contributing factor here. Of course, that's why there are investigations.

The short distance of travel after impact suggests a high-angle descent and approach, though it could have struck something (eg, powerlines, etc) out of the frame of the picture. The spread that continues opposite the direction of travel suggests a significant amount of fuel. Beyond that, not enough information is given.

No doubt, Juan Browne will save the day with his speculation, again, youtube to the rescue.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Report This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:

N236BC.

I found a couple articles and a video with ATC audio that repeats the N-number several times. The paint scheme in the trade-a-plane ad matched the plane in the crash video as well. I hope it wasn’t your friend.

Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
I wait (a year) for the NTSB report. Experience has found them to be more accurate that passer-by's and "the experienced professional news outlets".

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3763 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Report This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:

Given no facts in evidence, other than an explosion and a very inaccurate, incomplete "news" article, one would be hard pressed to determine fuel system status, weight and balance, or any other potential contributing factor here.
The most recent 32 years of my flying and instructing has been almost exclusively in the Bonanza / Baron family, so I am fairly familiar with these airplanes.

Barring a heavy cargo load aft, which is always a possibility, it is not possible for weight and balance to be out of limits with two people in front.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים