SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Looking for help with a department work schedule.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for help with a department work schedule. Login/Join 
Picture of Sock Eating Golden
posted
Recently, our midnight dispatcher put in his two weeks to move to an airline based closer to his home. Just days after that the second shift dispatcher was fired with no intent by management above me to replace her. We only had four dispatchers to begin with.

We were able to lure back the midnight dispatcher with the schedule of three twelves. So that he doesn't need to make the hour drive as often.

So, I'm trying to make a schedule work.
Restrictions:
  • Need 24 hour coverage from 0800 Monday-0100 Saturday morning.
  • Tommy (yellow) to work 1900-0700 Mon, Tue, Wed
  • Ed and John must stay at or below 40 hours a week.
  • Nick (myself) can cover mid afternoon hours if needed.

There's some flexibility, such as Tommy could work 2000-0800, Midnight hours on Wed, Thurs could be covered by phone at home by Ed and John alternating, and the like if needed.

Base schedule with some initial ideas are on Google docs. Let me know if you can think of anything...

Thanks for the help.

Nick

"I cannot imagine any condition which would cause a ship to founder. I cannot conceive of any vital disaster happening to this vessel. Modern shipbuilding has gone beyond that."
-Capt. Edward Smith

Posts: 5795 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: November 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
That looks workable until someone get's hurt, sick or takes a vacation.

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6491 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's why we were running four dispatchers.

When I started there were only three of us. Someone was sick, vacation, etc., we worked 12s to cover.

Nick

"I cannot imagine any condition which would cause a ship to founder. I cannot conceive of any vital disaster happening to this vessel. Modern shipbuilding has gone beyond that."
-Capt. Edward Smith

Posts: 5795 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: November 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
Who's the whipping boy going to be and what is your goal? Do you want everybody(besides Tommy) to get the same amount of hours? Can there be some shift overlap?

Posts: 11175 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There can be some shift overlap. Ed is the morning/afternoon guy, John is the afternoon evening guy.

The real problem is covering the Thursday/Friday midnight hours. Without screwing Ed and John... to much.

Nick

-Capt. Edward Smith