SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    EVOO recommendations
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

EVOO recommendations Login/Join 
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted
I've started using California Olive Ranch quite a few years back when the studies came out showing most EVOOs were fake. COR is one that is real and good.

I then took a trip to Israel and had some made there that was wonderful, so for awhile I'd have it imported but it became too much of a PITA so I went back to COR.

I use the standard 100% California for pretty much everything (the price is right and they have free shipping over $85). I keep a couple bottles of Arbequina around as well for certain things. Their Miller's Blend is excellent for dipping bread.

Just curious if anyone has found anything that is better.

Posts: 20075 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
studies came out showing most EVOOs were fake
If you're referring to the same report that I read, I recall mention that Costco's Kirkland Signature brand is the real stuff, so that's what I buy.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30641 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I use Sky Organics, which is the best tasting and highest quality olive oil that my local grocery store carries. (Probably not the best, but the best of what's readily available here.)

Posts: 32490 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BlackTalonJHP
posted Hide Post
Texas Olive Ranch or Olivari

Posts: 1058 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 18, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I switched and have stuck with COR for a long time now. Specifically the arbequina varietal. No reason to switch.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12713 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The US in general has good to very good olive oil, there's no need to seek out a foreign make/brand unless you're certain about it or, you like the variety of olives used.
COR is good stuff, very solid, they've garnered many awards.
Costco's Kirkland brand has a couple of varieties, they source mainly from Italy, certain locations will also have Greek and Spanish origin as well. I use their EVOO for general usage.
I'm fortunate I live near a couple of exceptional producers, I'll use these for finishing salads, putting on grilled veg and over meat- McEvoy Ranch, Seka Hills, Cliffs Family, and Napa Valley Manufacturing.

Posts: 14634 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
I find myself a little jealous of corsairs' options. i have foudn COR to be not much better than the cheapo brands at the local Safeway. I like the stinky, unprocessed EVOO's, but I find the so-called "robust" offerings generally lacking, and not all that much different than the so-called "smooth" varieties. I remember the olive oils I grew up on, ordinary European (Spanish, Italian, or Greek) as being much much better.

Posts: 6452 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I use California Olive Ranch Arbequina, which I buy at my local Whole Foods store, a 15 minute walk from my home. Specifically, the “Reserve” variety. Whole Foods also sells another COR Arbequina variety,whose name I don’t recall.

I use so little EVOO for the ordinary purpose that I don’t bother to keep a lesser EVOO on hand, but I do use it for uncommon purposes. An example: I have the Dexter S8694, the world’s best griddle spatula (the bottom spatula in this photo):

But it came with a rosewood haft, not the darker walnut haft that I prefer. So I gave it my secret EVOO finish, which produces the dark finish that I like:

The photo was made nearly a year ago, but the Dexter’s appearance hasn’t changed in the interim. My EVOO finish is permanent.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8931 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I love my Dexters. They are all I use.

Posts: 20075 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Three ladies in the sewing circle go get Costco brand.

For the price they are willing to pay,
They claim it's the best.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54600 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
studies came out showing most EVOOs were fake
If you're referring to the same report that I read, I recall mention that Costco's Kirkland Signature brand is the real stuff, so that's what I buy.

Same oil. Same reason. EVOO, wow

Posts: 13231 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redleg06
posted Hide Post
I've seen some good reviews of Partanna and will be trying it out. According to many reviews, they key is to find an oil made from olives from a single source/country.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6FOyy6NEZs&t=5s

"Cedat Fortuna Peritis"

Posts: 1976 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
I recall mention that Costco's Kirkland Signature brand is the real stuff, so that's what I buy.

For decades, we bought stuff from Italian delis, Trader Joes, etc. But in recent years, we found the Kirkland brand to be excellent and a good price for what one gets. Cooking, salad dressings, dipping bread, it is all good.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16666 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
I don't do a lot of cooking where the olive oil really has to stand out. Since the 1990s when we lived in Puerto Rico I've been using Goya olive oil primarily. It's Spanish olive oil. We also keep a small bottle of California Olive Ranch as our "premium" olive oil for certain dishes where the flavor would matter more. We've tried a few different blends from COR, and, honestly, I don't notice much difference. They've all been good.

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Awaits his CUT
of choice
posted Hide Post
Another Kirkland Signature user here. Precisely because I read a similar article about how most off the shelf EVOO is not EVOO.

Posts: 2715 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by daikyu:
Another Kirkland Signature user here. Precisely because I read a similar article about how most off the shelf EVOO is not EVOO.
Ditto.

Posts: 9032 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post