SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    FYI-Waste King Garbage Disposal “Lifetime” Warranties
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

FYI-Waste King Garbage Disposal “Lifetime” Warranties Login/Join 
Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted
Back in July 26 2018 i was in need of a new of a new garbage disposal. I went with the WK Legend L8000 1 HP based on the reputation and chose the 8000 for the fact that it offered the lifetime warranty. I remembered the 1/2 and 3/4 HP models did not offer the lifetime replacement warranty and also lifetime corrosion and in home service at the time. I do all my own work so the in home service is of no concern to me.

Well fast forward 5 years and it shit the bed. I/we don’t use it for anything but the fine stuff that the strainer doesn't catch or fines that are rinsed off before going into the dishwasher.

I printed out the Amazon receipt at the time and put the box up int the attic.

So i retrieved the box and called the contact number on it. To my very surprise when i called it went to Moens customer service line which I was very happy with as i have Moen faucets throughout my house and how i have dealt with many times over the years for their no bs free parts replacement.

Get through and explain the issue and explain the trouble shooting done to eliminate any electrical control or voltage issues. The lady being satisfied with my explanations starts looking up a replacement model saying the 8000 was no longer being made.

She comes up with another 1HP model and says only showing two in stock and a backorder issue might occur but would receive order and shipping confirmation soon. Received shipping confirmation within hrs.

The shipping confirmation stated that i would be receiving a Moen GSX100C 1HP. This is where my concerns started but waited till i actually received the replacement to verify my concerns which were to verify that it also came with a “Lifetime” replacement.

So i go online and start digging. Well the replacement only stated 10 years and no in home service. Go to the Waste King site and see that the WK L8000 is still showing as available but only now offers a 20 year replacement warranty.

So i make the call with my concerns. Get a cs male rep which tells me he needs to transfer me to someone else which results in a hang up. I call back going through the same prompts as before and get a snappy lady whom cuts me off at half sentence several times.

She explains how things will be. I calmly let her have her say. After getting cut off mid sentence several times i am finally able to make my points which are that WK still shows the 8000 as being available and that i purchased an L8000 with lifetime replacement.

She says that the first lady who sent the Moen was wrong and most likely was confused as some WK models have been discontinued but she needs to put me on hold.

She comes back after a few minutes and explains that four days after i purchased my L8000 WK did away with the lifetime replacement and the in home service but that i was good to go and a WK L8000 would be overnighted and that my acct was noted as having lifetime replacement.

Thankfully her snappy attitude was replaced. I thank her and that i was told her i was happy with the outcome. Further told her that i was first pleased to know WK was Moen and that the many previous Moen faucet contacts had always be positive.

PS; When looking at the WK L8000 on Amazon the warranties is still confusing as it states in the description as still having Lifetime in home and corrosion warranties but in the specs as having a 20 year replacement. I did point this out to the last cs lady. Honestly don't know if it was stated that way back in 2018 or not. Is rather misleading. Pointed this out to her.

When I mentioned my surprise about WK being under Moen now she stated Moen purchased WK about a year ago.

My diagnosis on the old unit showed a small amount of water inside the motor but it had never leaked out externally, so a seal failed or the shafted started corroding causing seal failure. After its all over with the wife mentioned that the GFI had tripped once about a week prior.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mustang-PaPa,

Posts: 18054 | Location: South West of Fort Worth, Tx. | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
Usually, lifetime doesn’t mean what most people think it means. “Until seven years after the product is discontinued” or some such nonsense. In the meantime, anybody know where I can return some of these 5.25 floppy discs with lifetime warranties?

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8222 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
Well Moen I guess it still the exception in my experience. I had a kitchen faucet with some finish corrosion that the part was no longer available due to being discontinued. They gave me several choices of comparable models to chose from and charged me a minimal fee of around $30 for the replacement which I was pleased with.

Can't help with the floppies. LOL

Posts: 18054 | Location: South West of Fort Worth, Tx. | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
In the meantime, anybody know where I can return some of these 5.25 floppy discs with lifetime warranties?

If you send them back to the manufacturer, they will gladly swap them 1:1 for your choice of punch cards or zip drive disks.

Posts: 32571 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Next time, run a baby yak through it once a year. Keeps the innards clean.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31490 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
So do you get to keep the Moen too, along with the Waste King L8000 Super Yakinator?

Moen rep the first time I called was a bit snippy about it until we could locate and send up copies of the receipt of purchase, now in the system it's not been an issue.

Do remember being turned off about them initially when asking for a simple valve replacement.

Posts: 23611 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
HRK in all my dealing a have never had to provide them with any receipts. They just ask general questions about the problems and sometimes will ask for close to dates of purchase if i don't have the receipts in front of me. My having them and asking with i need to get pictures to them has always pleased them.

I have been pretty good about getting more parts then needed at the time tor backup spares. When i have several. Honestly they have always very reasonable. i have been happy.

Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Good to hear that they have a new quality owner who honors warranties and that Waste Kang lives on.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23350 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
WASTE KANG!!

Posts: 107786 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
All faucets here have been changed to Moen over the years. Would have nothing else, their warranty and CS has been great.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8145 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ditto on Moen. Had a kitchen faucet go bad after 23 years. They sent me a replacement; free.

Posts: 3229 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I put one in at our old house, based on forum recommendations, when the Badger decided to dump all liquid contents into the cabinet below. I think it was the 3/4hp, pre-quarter the Yak, model.
It was noticeably quieter than the weaker Badger it replaced.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15414 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
If I recall correctly, my WK warranty stated it was covered for life when installed by a professional. Sounds like a way to not acknowledge the warranty.

Posts: 4136 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lt CHEG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
WASTE KANG!!

I was looking at garbage disposals a few years back for a friend that thought she might need a new one. I’ve never owned a garbage disposal, but sold in-sink-Erator made disposals when I worked at Sears in college. I looked for “Waste Kang” in my search initially, because they got such good reviews and high regards here in SIGforum. I honestly thought they were actually named “Waste Kang,” and not Waste King. So I had a bit of a chuckle with this thread lol.

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

Posts: 5583 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: February 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post