SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Buying shoes - how do you buy?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Buying shoes - how do you buy? Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted
Perhaps it's just me, but I'm finding it difficult to shop and buy shoes, athletic shoes in particular at the moment.

I used to be very active with racket sports and would buy shoes regularly. The big stores (I can't even remember the store names now - seems like they are all gone except for Big 5) I used to patronize are all gone. I haven't bought tennis shoes for a long time now (probably 15-20 years). I have bought various types of hiking / walking shoes but not competitive court shoes.

There are some familiar names, like Fleet Feet but they are mostly running shoes. No real court shoe selection. Sport Authority seems to be gone. Big 5 selection is limited. Dick's seems to be the big chain but their in store selection is limited (and don't have the brands / models I'm looking for).

There are some specialty tennis stores but their selection also seems limited.

The shoes I'm interested seem only available online - direct from manufacturer or Prime / Zappos. Dick's may also work for select brands/models but not sure why I'd use them over manufacturer / Zappos.

Am I missing something? Is this how shoes are bought now? If so, do you guys use something like Prime or do you just go direct to manufacturer?

I'm looking for Asics / New Balance tennis shoes (higher end of their models). But I can't find them in any local store.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 13112 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Go to a store that sell upscale footwear. You will pay more but will be fitted correctly

Posts: 17529 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
I cannot find any running shoes that fit me locally. Ever. I'm a 7 size, and they're harder to find than hen's teeth. I run Asics and always buy them online. Walking/working shoes are just slightly less hard to find, and I really have to look hard.

Q

Posts: 27606 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Amazon. Free returns if they don’t fit. And they have size 14. Nobody in my town has anything in size 14.

Posts: 27180 | Location: SW of Hovey, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
If I'm buying Asics or New Balance, any reason to buy via Prime vs factory direct? Perhaps Prime would be better for shipping with easier returns. And one less place to give out CC and personal info. Although trying to reduce Prime patronage. Kinda torn. Leaning toward Prime because of proven convenience and limit digital footprint. But open to reason to consider otherwise.

But dismaying to hear that I'm not the only it seems facing this. There was a day when I could just go to a local store and buy what I wanted. Those days seem gone now. I still try to buy local but it's getting difficult.

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 13112 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
I go Amazon and look for features I want in my size. I don't worry much about comfort because I generally go with at least an alloy toe and I always rip out the insoles for Sole footbeds.

Posts: 4448 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I prefer to go to real stores and try them on first. Admittedly the last two pairs were ordered on-line from Discount Shoe Warehouse with no problems though.

Posts: 3405 | Location: Fairfax Co. VA | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beanhead
posted Hide Post
For new balance court shoes, I buy direct from them or bob’s new balance outlet. They both have sales and shipping specials.

Posts: 1368 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
I've had decent luck ordering them from directly from the manufacturer when possible.

Posts: 9424 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Since I don’t do anything formal nowadays, my shoes are mostly hiking shoes or boots and I know my size.
I just do a search for the best delivered price. Many times that’s on Amazon but sometimes the manufacturer has deals. I try to shop before I need them so I can find them on sale somewhere.

Posts: 9833 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Amazon. Free returns and I often save money over store bought shoes. Tennis shoes in some form or another is pretty much all I wear now.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I go to my brick and mortar Nordstrom store a buy shoes that I find appealing, and comfortable.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9469 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Racquet ball was my favorite pass time when I could get off my road bike. I found Reebok was my best action foot wear. Basically their walking shoe line and they are still made. Good foot support, good comfort and traction for speed. Club C5 if you might need to see them.

Posts: 17987 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Kohl's carries a good line up of sport footwear. I love the Kohls stores.

Posts: 17987 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Life's too short to
live by the rules
posted Hide Post
Kohls or if you have a DSW in your area. Whatever you do, do not buy anything from Dick’s. I’d go barefoot before I’d buy shoes from them. They are very anti-gun.

Chris

Posts: 1701 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: August 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
My size is relatively average @ 8.5 and never had much of a problem with fitment except for wide shoes which I do not wear.
I can pretty much order anywhere and it is fine.
My wife however, has tiny feet at size 5-5.5 Smile women's and generally cannot find much that fits. Frown

Posts: 23227 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
I'm looking for Asics / New Balance tennis shoes (higher end of their models). But I can't find them in any local store.

The 'ASICS Outlets' near me have their Court Shoes on display/available in the store. Maybe there's one nearby, or reasonably close to the 'gilded cage'... Wink

New Balance outlets on the other hand, seem to be hit or miss in terms on what they have on hand so YMMV.

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 9440 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
ASICS Outlets

It took a bit of effort (no thanks to the actual ASICS website) but I found Outlets.

Unfortunately, nothing close by. Same w/ NB.

Looks like I'm stuck w/ Prime. Hopefully just need 1-2 iterations to get the right size.

Was that you
or the dog?
Picture of SHOOTIN BLANKS
posted Hide Post
I’ve used Zappos for years. I have a very average size but a 4E width. Brick and mortar stores never had shoes that fit.

Posts: 1655 | Location: PA | Registered: February 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
It took a bit of effort (no thanks to the actual ASICS website) but I found Outlets.

The local Fleet Feet carry the Asics Solution Speed FF 3 which is a very nice tennis court shoe.

While they are mainly known as experts on running shoes, you might check your local store

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14252 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post