SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Skip to page 3: New 2019 Atlas or 15/16 Sequoia w/ 50-70k miles
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Skip to page 3: New 2019 Atlas or 15/16 Sequoia w/ 50-70k miles Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
If Carfax lists a vehicle has had frame damage. A lot of insurance companies may not insure it or may charge more to insure that vehicle. I wouldn't want to own a vehicle that has frame damage as they are never the same as a vehicle without frame damage.

Carfax does not list the frame damage only the search site does.
Carfax states body damage without an accident and a nonsalvage non flood title guarantee.
Not really seen something listed like that before so will be curious to see what the deal is.

Frame Damage on Toyota’s tank will also bring a lot of other noticeable issues.

The problem with frame damage is two fold. One, when it is straightened it is only measured in certain points to be true in shape/geometry but it is not measured in every single point, so some places in between it might not be correct. The other issue is, once metal is bent like that in a collision, then it is bent back (a lot of times they may use heat to help bend it back), it is not as rigid in those areas as a virgin frame, so the metal (and whatever is bolted to it: ie: suspension etc.) might flex more than the virgin area of the frame that wasn't damaged causing slightly different handling and such.

Posts: 21408 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigmule
posted Hide Post
The atlas is still doing fine, 4800 mikes from new.

Don't be foolered...The atlas is not in any way a Touareg. Not in any way shape or form I mite add.

And for what I saw mentioned for a used price, you can buy new with warrantees and a happy wife.

Which is priceless..

Posts: 2330 | Registered: July 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
That Atlas seems a very nice SUV. Its roomy and I like its easy tip 2nd row seats. The electronics will definately require learning. Its stow away seats are manual vs the Explorer push button. The Ecoboost makes 100 HP more than the VW. Will be interesting to see which you decide on.

Posts: 17984 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Looking heavy at the 2019 Atlas. We’re out of the first year hiccups.
Dealers are offering g 6-7k off MSRP. Making The V6 SE w/ Tech R Line w/ 4motion around 35k.
6 year 72k miles bumper to bumper so won’t have to worry much.
Wife’s current ride is a 2012 and we just hit 70k great vehicle just having the boy climb in the hatch and zero cargo room behind the 3rd row is a huge pain.
We’ve had the Highlander for about 7 years and mama kinda wants a new ride and I get that.

The only other option we like and would fit our needs though a touch bigger than she wants is a Sequoia but to be in our price range we are looking at 15-16 models with 50-70k miles. Yes, I know that this is nothing for the Toyota. The father in laws 08 Tundra with 250k is still going strong with minimal issues.
My biggest issue is the Sequoia is so outdated as the 15-16 models have seen no real upgrade since the generation was introduced in 08 and it’s tech is on par with our 2012 Highlander which is starting to show it’s age.

I’ll be keeping my Expedition and just upgrading her.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25674 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you don’t put enough miles on a vehicle to need a quality ride like the Toyota. I’d go with the Atlas since you change vehicles a lot.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 4012 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
So the certified preowned 2018 Sequoia TRD Sport with 35-55k are start to come into our top end of price range. Which is almost an on brainer. It is just so frustrating that Toyota is so outdated in this model line. Aside from the leather the interior is almost smack identical to the father in laws 2008 Tundra.

————————————————

Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
quote:
So the certified preowned 2018 Sequoia TRD Sport with 35-55k are start to come into our top end of price range. Which is almost an on brainer. It is just so frustrating that Toyota is so outdated in this model line. Aside from the leather the interior is almost smack identical to the father in laws 2008 Tundra.

It's their entire line up. They keep model years much longer than others and any updates year to year are minimal. I still can't figure out why they bothered with the TRD PRO Sequoia, that car MUST be ready for an update.

This coming from a 3 Toyota owner and current 4Runner fanatic.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9748 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
As a 2x Tundra owner and currently driving a 2017 Tundra Platinum I completely agree that Toyotas are WAY behind the technology curve. My 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee had easily 4x the features of my Tundra.

Maybe I'm drinking the Toyota Kool-Aid but both Tundras run like tops and never seem to have mechanical issues. I'll keep my current Tundra for the next 10 years then who knows?

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Lagging behind us what prevented us from buying a 4Runner. What modern car has a five speed automatic transmission? These days, for good mileage, it seems like everything has at least a six speed automatic and some even have eight or more.

Posts: 13291 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
Lagging behind us what prevented us from buying a 4Runner. What modern car has a five speed automatic transmission? These days, for good mileage, it seems like everything has at least a six speed automatic and some even have eight or more.

So a good friend of mine has a 5th Gen 4Runner and a 3rd Gen Tacoma. The 5th gen obviously has a 5 speed as you've noted, and the Taco is a 6 or more speed. When towing the boat, he ALWAYS takes the 4Runner because the Taco is constantly searching for the correct gear.

Fuel economy and towing are obviously two different things, but in this case the additional gears, at least between those to vehicles, isn't an advantage.

And yes, the fuel economy in my 5th Gen is dreadful.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9748 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My ‘02 Land Cruiser (263k miles) is a tad bit behind on technology! But I’ve owned it since new and I’d take it over a new Atlas. I realize that the current trend is focused on technology and you can’t find a review that isn’t overly focused on that aspect. But the fad will shift elsewhere and you’ll still need to be satisfied with the basic vehicle.

And FWIW, I appreciate the low-tech nature of my other vehicle, a ‘12 Tundra 5.7 2WD with WT package. The engine may have been developed in ‘07 but it is a good engine.

If I were to buy a new Toyota, I’d go with a ‘20 model (vs leftover ‘19) to get the additional tech (example - CarPlay on the 4Runner), but that is still a minor detail to me.

To me, the main knock on the Sequoia is its size. It and the Tundra are somewhat a chore in tight areas and your wife may grow weary of that aspect.

Posts: 481 | Registered: June 24, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've driven my niece's Atlas as well as a rental. I found it to be rather solid. I wouldn't say it's in the same range as a new Sequoia though.

On price alone and assuming you'll keep the car less than 5-6 years, I'd take a plunge on the Atlas.

P229

Posts: 3946 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeGLI:
quote:

It's their entire line up. They keep model years much longer than others and any updates year to year are minimal. I still can't figure out why they bothered with the TRD PRO Sequoia, that car MUST be ready for an update.

This coming from a 3 Toyota owner and current 4Runner fanatic.

I kind of think the TRD Pro Sequioa was to get a heard start in being able to offer something in place of the Land Cruiser when it goes away.
I am guessing whenever the Sequioa does get a full redesign there will be a TRD model to fill the void (albeit small in the States) that the Land Cruiser holds.

quote:
Originally posted by rsbolo:
As a 2x Tundra owner and currently driving a 2017 Tundra Platinum I completely agree that Toyotas are WAY behind the technology curve. My 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee had easily 4x the features of my Tundra.

Maybe I'm drinking the Toyota Kool-Aid but both Tundras run like tops and never seem to have mechanical issues. I'll keep my current Tundra for the next 10 years then who knows?

You and I both are drinking the Kool-Aid. I am 100% all about simplicity. Give me a cloth seat, vinyl floor, 4x4 with a long wheel base and I am golden.
That is why I went with the Expedition for myself. I wanted size with no frills. Only option I have is the sunroof and I did not want that but I had 2 to choose from and the one without the sunroof had more miles and was white.

Reliability and longevity are my biggest concern. Large concerns for my wife too but she likes some of the creature comforts and while the Sequoia has them they are dated. Not only the tech but all the controls, knobs, and the like are cheap and old.

If we fit in the Highlander we would be keeping it for many more years. Fully loaded 8 years old with only 70k it is barely broken in. We bought it when we had 1 kid. Adding two more since buying it and they aren't getting any smaller is the reason we are looking to change.

The TRD Sport does not have the power lift gate and it does not have push button start. Both of these are big pluses with real practicality for my wife. being able to open the rear with the push of the button on a full size SUV is a big plus, same with closing.

The proximity key when she has her hands full with kids or she is leaving work late by herself no need to be fumbling for keys just grab the handle and open.

As for Toyotas Entune tech. That is not a huge concern for the Sequoia as Crux make an interface to hook any after market head unit to the backup camera, steering wheel controls, etc. So one could easily buy a new headunit with Apple play or an full android unit and be done without issue.

The other Toyota models and my Expedition it is not so easy.

quote:
Originally posted by Russ59:
I've driven my niece's Atlas as well as a rental. I found it to be rather solid. I wouldn't say it's in the same range as a new Sequoia though.

On price alone and assuming you'll keep the car less than 5-6 years, I'd take a plunge on the Atlas.

If we got the Atlas I doubt it would be kept much past the warranty.
The Sequoia we'll have until it dies. 10+ years hopefully.

Wife is very much leaning towards the Sequoia she wants the size and is worried we'll find the Atlas to be to small when the boys are bigger. Plus there is only room for 1 more person.

The Sequoia fits 3 in the 3rd row and 3 in the 2nd too.
I can remove the center seat of the Sequoia while car seats are in it and have a pass through to the rear.
The Atlas we need to get the buckets for the pass through.

————————————————

Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Well looks like she is out of luck on the proximity key. I am not finding that as an option until 2019.
Not seen a 19 we can afford yet.

————————————————

7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
The 2017 and 18s were offered in at least 2 and maybe as many as 5 different colors of cloth interiors. I too dislike the huge seats of bland leather. Were it me I would search for one in cloth or be looking at the added expense of high quality seat covers. Even custom made. Are you thinking still in the 30k range or 50?

Posts: 17984 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I have hoping to be around 35k but if the right one comes along willing to do 40k.

Wife and I were talking today that cloth is on the table since there is not much other creature comforts added with leather. I would get Katzkin leather and seat heaters done on the front two seats right away.

The rears will have Cabelas neoprene covers on them for years to come since they will have car seats and boosters. I already have the Cabelas on the Highlander seats. They are universal so I will just use them in the new vehicle.
When the kids are out of car seats and boosters I’ll have the backseats done in Katzkins leather like the front.

But we’ll see. There are very few used ones locally at the moment.

————————————————

I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rsbolo:

My 1st gen Tundra I kept for 16 years. My current ‘17 SR5 4x4 TRD Tundra Crew Max w/tow pkg will probably be the last vehicle I buy.
Toyota Kool-Aid is mighty tasty. Wink

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3870 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
You might find this interesting. Car and Driver has an Atlas as a long term tester.

https://www.caranddriver.com/r...ability-maintenance/

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11884 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post