SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Retired NFL players aim for the Olympics – via curling
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Retired NFL players aim for the Olympics – via curling Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
If they make the podium I hope that they’ll stand for the National Anthem.

I recall that a team of Canadian housewives won Olympic gold in curling a few years ago.

“Defensive lineman Jared Allen retired from the NFL in 2015 and wasn’t ready to give up on the competition he’d come to enjoy as a five-time All-Pro.

His solution: The Olympics.

The problem: He didn’t compete in any Olympic sports.

Less than a year later, Allen and three other former NFL stars — none with any prior experience — are attempting to qualify for the U.S. national curling championships against players who have been throwing stones for most of their lives.

It would be the first step toward competing in the 2022 Winter Games in Beijing.

https://apnews.com/bf418b707d16470daf116657933de4e0

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8931 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I doubt Allen or Bulger would kneel for the Anthem. I'm not as familiar with the other 2 members of the team.

Posts: 2157 | Location: St. Louis | Registered: January 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe we established late last year that Curling was best played while drunk.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16067 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
I believe we established late last year that Curling was best played while drunk.

And smoking a cigarette.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Curling is bowling for rich people. Curling is done in private clubs of which one has to be a member.

Posts: 10908 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tgtshuter
posted Hide Post
I think I remember seeing a photoshopped video in the "enough with the cat pictures" thread that shows a curling team in action, but using a cat instead of the rock (or whatever it's called)?

Posts: 711 | Location: SC, USA | Registered: October 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are few things in life that are more exciting than a good game of curling.

Posts: 5742 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
How curling is in the olympics I will never understand. What next darts?

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
Curling is bowling for rich people. Curling is done in private clubs of which one has to be a member.

I have relatives from Minnesota that do it in a “beer league”. It’s more like darts up there.

Posts: 3906 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gw3971:
How curling is in the olympics I will never understand. What next darts?

Well, Winter Olympics. The real olympics happen in summer...

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15554 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post