SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    David Hogg accepts defeat - announces that he is 'too busy' to make his activist progressive pillow dream a reality
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

David Hogg accepts defeat - announces that he is 'too busy' to make his activist progressive pillow dream a reality Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I was confused when I read the title about taking the L. I was thinking of the elevated subway in Chicago and hoping he took the Red line.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Perhaps the L stands for Lothar of the Hill People, for I, too, am confused.

Posts: 107606 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
I had to Google it.

"Taking the L" means taking a loss.

It's some urban slang for being a loser. . .

Of course, we all knew hogg was a loser, since he was NOT EVEN AT THE SCHOOL when the shooting took place, but RUSHED there with his camera once it hit the news so he could play 'victim.'

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21847 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Oh, gee, that's so clever.

Posts: 107606 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think I learned something new today, but not sure I will ever need it again.

Posts: 6622 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
Sorry guys...I seriously did not think for a second that the phrase 'Take the L' was in any way obscure. I've heard it used for years - when someone is losing an argument someone usually chimes in with 'Take the L and move on'. I'm nowhere near an urban environment. Maybe it's a regional thing.

I'll edit the title.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
Sorry guys...I seriously did not think for a second that the phrase 'Take the L' was in any way obscure. I've heard it used for years - when someone is losing an argument someone usually chimes in with 'Take the L and move on'. I'm nowhere near an urban environment. Maybe it's a regional thing.

I'll edit the title.
I’m in the Midwest and have heard it for at least 5 years so it can’t be that obscure.

I’m sure Hogg thought everything was going to work out because he wanted it too. Then he found out what real work, sacrifice and huge financial risks are all about and what he had left shriveled up and disappeared so he bailed.

I guess capitalism isn’t quite as easy as he thought.

Posts: 3923 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1s1k:
I’m in the Midwest and have heard it for at least 5 years so it can’t be that obscure.

I dunno. I, also, live in the midwest and I've never heard it before.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of spunk639
posted Hide Post
The L

The L I know runs on New Utrecht Ave, to 86th Street to Coney Island. Great chase scene in the French Connection.

Posts: 2778 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ugly Bag of
Mostly Water
Picture of ridgerat
posted Hide Post
To "some" it up?

Kid's a moron.

Endowment Life Member, NRA • Member, Gun Owners of America & Member, Arizona Citizens Defense League

Posts: 2840 | Location: Marana, AZ | Registered: March 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ridgerat:
To "some" it up?

Kid's a moron.

With an "L" for LOON!

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16222 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ridgerat:

To "some" it up?

Kid's a moron.
Harvard?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30677 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sorry guys...I seriously did not think for a second that the phrase 'Take the L' was in any way obscure.

This is what I thought of.

The Motels - "Take the L"

Posts: 27964 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post