SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Becoming a sissy as I get older
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Becoming a sissy as I get older Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted
I was scouting new kayaking locations. One lake had me drive along a paved road yet without guardrails and next to an edge - go over and die.

When I was younger, those kinds of things were no problem, especially in the cars I used to drive back them (ie - 300zx).

Now, I get chills in my balls and they tense up. Part of it, I think, is that I don't really trust the truck yet (reminder - I've always had cars that were low to the ground with aftermarket suspensions - my first truck and it sits rather high).

But I think that's only part of it. I think I'm actually scared of going over the edge. I've never really been afraid of heights (I'm more scared of heights where I'm sure I'd get badly injured but survive rather than heights in which I know I wouldn't survive a fall).

Hope this isn't the start of a trend.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 13115 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Comes from experience. The young can't imagine what they haven't seen.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29909 | Location: Norris Lake, TN | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Not scared of going over the edge and die is stupid.

Scared of going over the edge and die is normal.

Q

Posts: 27613 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
I broke my back being young, dumb and pretty careless on Mt. Hood when in my 20’s. Now at 47 with two fusions and constant pain, I wish I had been a little more “scared.” Wink

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 7077 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Sometimes, the difference between bravery and stupidity is whether you lived to tell the tale.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Interesting subject. Similar but in the same ballpark here.

I used to be a Volunteer Firefighter and then later Paid On-Call in my twenties through my late 30's, haven't done that since 1990.

Roofs and ladders were no big deal back then. Today, no thanks. I've lost all desire to go up more than six feet painting a wall let alone atop the roof.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8405 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Don't we have quarterly threads about people falling to their death taking selfies on high ledges and cliffs and such? They're usually young.

Congrats! You made it past that phase! Fear of death when it can happen only inches away doesn't make one a sissy, it makes one aware.

Posts: 17674 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
(reminder - I've always had cars that were low to the ground with aftermarket suspensions - my first truck and it sits rather high).

Different heighth, different feel (ever so slightly more of a swaying sensation, would be my WAG).

Posts: 27303 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
It's called experience and wisdom.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I like the way you guys view this. Smile.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 13115 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I did quite a bit when I was younger that I wont' do now.

Learning is not a mistake nor does it make one a "sissy." It means that you're intelligent enough to evolve.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Hard for me to relate--I've always been a "sissy" (never did much that was dangerous).

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27911 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I recently had a very similar experience on the trike. I found a turn-out and went home. I REALLY did not want to end up over the edge on my back with a heavy trike on top of me, but maybe I'm just a puss.

Posts: 17261 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Interesting about how you feel about your truck.

When I am in my truck I feel safer than when in any other vehicle I own. My truck has always got me out of any bad situation and has never failed to get me home safe.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Never liked heights when I was young. I actually can tolerate it a bit more now. Maybe because I can't see so well as to realize what exactly it is that i'd be hitting when terminal velocity goes to zero. Wink No waves of vertigo sweeping up and making me dizzy and unbalanced. But I've never been fully comfortable with it. It was worse when I was younger and working in my past life.

I harbor similar feelings about them tall, tall trucks and SUVs. First time I drove one I realized pretty quickly that they aren't nearly as tossable as a Vette or 911. Getting one up unintentionally on two wheels is not a warm and fuzzy moment.

I still hate ladders, especially with remembrances of climbing those straight vertical access ladders with no safety cage to surround one's self as I climb up on the way to roof hatches with no step off staging platform at the top. Nothing like getting to the top 30 feet above the concrete floor below and discovering a stuck lock release lever. Plus it's usually kind of dark up that high, where said ladder is situated in some utility or warehouse room well above the level of the minimal lights pointing down at the floor and not up to the underside of the roof where I be. What's a headlamp? Can I buy a hardhat with one? Damn.

Yeah those situations certainly didn't help with keeping the fear of falling at bay.

Then there was the times ON the roof or floor at an as-yet-to-be-completed high-rise tower. Nothing like being called out to the edge of the 27th floor with no walls but a single yellow rope 'barrier' to keep a person from going 'splat' all that way down. Then being asked to peer over the edge at some 'situation' with the edge of the slab because such and such subcontractor isn't happy with what he has to fasten his window system to. Or peering down the unfinished elevator shaft at the 32nd floor at some problem the elevator subcontractor brings up, and being unable to see the bottom due to the complete darkness all that way down below.

Yeah I readily admit that I don't miss those kinds of field visits. A high-rise steelworker I would've never made, that's for certain.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
Hard for me to relate--I've always been a "sissy" (never did much that was dangerous).

flashguy

Ha;don't beleave him This man has got hand cannons that will scare the hell out of you if he lets you shoot them.

Posts: 22421 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post

Q

Posts: 27613 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
death wish hiking trail...

^^^^^
Nope nope nope.

Posts: 4157 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Texas Proud
Picture of texassierra
posted Hide Post
I had the same issue last September in Yellowstone. Driving some of those roads with no barriers and raining had me puckered up. The idiots driving rented motorhomes didn't help any. I had one come around a blind corner halfway into my lane. Fortunately, my lane was on the wall side but unfortunately my right mirror took a hit from one of the fiberglass snow stakes as I moved over.

NRA Life Patron

Posts: 1916 | Location: DFW | Registered: March 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
I can relate. I grew up with motorcycles, I stopped riding when I was 21 or so, no other reason than starting a family $$$. I used to ride up the PCH with nothing but silkies and shoes, not a care in the world.

When I was 41 I bought a bike, scared the crap out of me to ride again. The first thought that went through my mind was Holy Crap! There's nothing between me and the road.

Maturing, self preservation.

Posts: 5560 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post