SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Molcajete Fire Roasted Salsa
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Molcajete Fire Roasted Salsa Login/Join 
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted
So I got this molcajete a few weeks ago. I cured and seasoned it over a couple days. So today I decided to make fire roasted salsa and chicken enchiladas for dinner. Had the daughter, son in law and grandson over for dinner. No pics of enchiladas but they were delicious. For my first time using a molcajete the salsa was awesome. Roma tomatoes few cloves of garlic, jalapenos, serranos, tomatillos, onions and I even threw in some red bell pepper. I roasted everything over the fire then ground it up in the molcajete.

Yes there really is a difference between this and a blender. Grinding the ingredients in that lava rock really gets all the oil and juices out of the ingredients. Fabulous flavor! I'm looking forward to getting a lot more use out of this.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8505 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
It looks like goat vomit but I'm guessing your concoction tastes great.

Posts: 107261 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
It looks like goat vomit but I'm guessing your concoction tastes great.

Big Grin My picture taking leaves much to be desired it didn't look quite that bad. But yes the flavor was phenomenal.

Posts: 8505 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
LOL, Para! You are too funny.

Can you explain the seasoning process? I had no idea that this needed to be done.

Posts: 1506 | Location: Lehigh County,PA-USA | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Eye of the beholder and all that....looks absolutely delicious to me.

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
Been using a molcajete for years ... and love it !

Took me a long time (watching movies) using rice to grind the molcajete down to where I was happy, and then the seasoning process.

Posts: 3190 | Location: PNW | Registered: November 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love mine as well. What a difference in homemade guacamole!

Posts: 817 | Location: FL | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I've lived in Texas on and off for the past 25 years, and I don't recall ever hearing of molcajete until yesterday. Weird that it came up 2 days in a row.

Did you get the molcajete idea from a ArnieTex YouTube video? I watched his Carne Guisada video yesterday and that's where I heard it.

BTW, the salsa looks delicious.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23101 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old dino:
Been using a molcajete for years ... and love it !

Took me a long time (watching movies) using rice to grind the molcajete down to where I was happy, and then the seasoning process.

I did the rice/salt grinding about a half dozen times and then crushed garlic, cumin, black pepper corns and salt into a paste and spread it all around the inside of the molcajete and let it sit for a few hours and then rinse and repeat that process three more times. I rinsed mine out last night and ground more salt into it this morning. It smells fantastic it really held the smoky aroma from the salsa. Going to be doing something similar to this soon.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
I've lived in Texas on and off for the past 25 years, and I don't recall ever hearing of molcajete until yesterday. Weird that it came up 2 days in a row.

Did you get the molcajete idea from a ArnieTex YouTube video? I watched his Carne Guisada video yesterday and that's where I heard it.

I had heard of mortar and pestles before and have owned one for years but never heard of this molcajete thing. I'm attracted to rustic style cooking. Cast iron, clay pots etc. I searched Etsy for "rustic cooking" and came across them. Watched a couple You Tube vids and bought one. I think it's going to be one of those why didn't I do this a long time ago things!

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Mole-ka-HET-a

Ya gotta put some spit in that accented syllable

Posts: 107261 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:

There's a Mexican restaurant called Pancho And Lefty's in Kona Hawaii that's been serving it for a long time.

https://panchoandleftyskona.com/

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post