SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Nothing like the scent of a gentle summer afternoon breeze...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nothing like the scent of a gentle summer afternoon breeze... Login/Join 
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted
In downtown Tacoma. If I had to guess, I would say an excellent vintage is in the works. The gentle scent of sun-baked body fluids is wafting over me. The ammonia & vinegar flavor of unhealthy urine sits full on and the palate with each inhale, mixed with the almost Parmesan tang of... something else. Syringe caps on the sidewalks, foil pipes in the street. When the wind is just right, the classic 'Aroma of Tacoma' lends some earthy notes.

Nothing like the smell of a summer breeze.

Posts: 17622 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just left my job in Tacoma in April, Bellevue smells much nicer.

Posts: 1188 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's funny since it reminded me- I haven't smelled human waste since I was last in West Seattle.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13490 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
It's difficult to describe exactly what Tacoma smells like.

First, you have the tinge of New York City subway (urine and pretzels).

Second,there is the hint of four-day open flesh wounds, thanks to the occasional vagrant needle head, I would guess.

Lastly, there is a vague wiff of puke. Not full on 15 shots of Tequila puke, mind you. More like a subtle, one beer to many, wiff of puke.

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
Tacoma

the flower of the northwest

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53786 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
haha. omg. yuck. and I get sort of irritated by all of the clouds of dank that I encounter on a daily basis. I see it could be worse.
I did read that in San Francisco there is an app you can download to show which blocks to avoid due to the needles and poo.

Posts: 5405 | Registered: April 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
And I thought Tacoma was nasty in the 60's and 70's because of the 'Tacoma aroma' from the pulp and paper mills. How times have changed. Just another reason we never stop in Seattle or Tacoma in our travels like we used to. Another great example what a liberal invasion can accomplish.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Manitou Springs, Colorado is hard on their heels.

Posts: 27162 | Location: SW of Hovey, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
add a visual from my visit to Seattle waterfront some decades past:

obvious street dweller, lurching from curb to hydrant & light post to garbage cans, reeking even this 50 yards away, a foul nearly fluorescent viscous liquid dripping from the ankles.... up the legs his ballooned out full and squishy rain bibs, seeping around the edges genuine slime prints trailing, indescribable wet slather-matted hair, just arriving on scene medic crew donning full protective suits & breathing gear....

let's not talk mere odors.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9874 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all that, fellas.

Reinforces my determination never, EVER to live in or near a city. Any city.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15489 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The air in downtown Tucson inside the air conditioned Public Library carries an unusual smell of urine and unwashed bodies, thanks to the homeless who hang out there on a hot day.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SkyOtter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
Reinforces my determination never, EVER to live in or near a city. Any city.

Totally with you on that.

------------------------------------------------------
There are two types of people in this world: Those who need closure,

Posts: 2561 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: June 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
I'm suffering through clean mountain air, with a bit of the sweet aroma from my Russian Olive trees that are in bloom. You can keep the City.

Over the past 30 years I've seen downtown San Francisco go the route a few of You have described. Needles, human waste, condoms, etc. They can keep it.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Tasty, but not nearly as bad as Bourbon Street. Razz

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17597 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by signewt:
add a visual from my visit to Seattle waterfront some decades past:

obvious street dweller, lurching from curb to hydrant & light post to garbage cans, reeking even this 50 yards away, a foul nearly fluorescent viscous liquid dripping from the ankles.... up the legs his ballooned out full and squishy rain bibs, seeping around the edges genuine slime prints trailing, indescribable wet slather-matted hair, just arriving on scene medic crew donning full protective suits & breathing gear....

let's not talk mere odors.

I see you met the Mayor

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53786 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
End of May I caught strong westerly winds blowing across wheat fields stretched from horizon to horizon. In SE Montana along US-212. That experience was the highlight of the last few years. The sweetest air I've ever breathed (I work inner city and center city projects, and "see it all" several times a week).

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Green Acres is the place to be! Farm living is the life for me Smile

Nothing tops the smell of honeysuckle in the spring air in the South...

Posts: 13861 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Loved the smell of the lilac trees in my aunt's yard in Arkansas.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27911 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orive 8
posted Hide Post
quote:
'Aroma of Tacoma'

Yes indeed, remember it well.... well, maybe that was a bad choice of words... Confused

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Posts: 1919 | Location: Collier Twp, PA | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I used to live forty-five minutes from the nearest Walmart, in between two farms that wer nothing but grazing milk cows and fields of alfalfa and corn for miles. I would go back to that situation in a heartbeat if money wasn't a barrier. Tacoma sucks.

Posts: 17622 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post