New
Find
Notify
Tools

WD-40 Login/Join 
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted
Today I came up with a painful ankle, and then remembered about WD-40 as a remedy. This topic came up years ago when somebody discovered that it worked as a pain killer for minor injuries like painful ankles, elbows, etc.

So, I sprayed my ankle with some WD-40 and the pain disappeared. Anyone else remember it for its medical application?

The company said years ago that they could/would not address that question as to do so would expose them to regulations regarding medical issues. Yes, it still works.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25644 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
While waiting for the punchline about your travels with a girl, her dog and a scarecrow Big Grin, I looked this up.

I think I fell into your trap. Big Grin logging out and makng myself a drink. Thanks Elk.

It's all about clean living. Just do the right thing, and karma will help with the rest.

Posts: 1114 | Location: The Republic of Texas | Registered: April 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Elk Hunter:
The company said years ago that they could/would not address that question as to do so would expose them to regulations regarding medical issues.

Except they do address it, right there on their website.

From https://www.wd40.com/myths-legends-fun-facts/

quote:
Myth: WD-40 Multi-Use Product cures arthritis.

Fact: This popular headline, appearing at least once a year in the tabloids, is completely FALSE.

WD-40 Company does not recommend the use of WD-40 Multi-Use Product for medical purposes, and knows no reason why WD-40 Multi-Use Product would be effective for arthritis pain relief. WD-40 Multi-Use Product contains petroleum distillates and should be handled with the same precautions for any product containing this type of material.

If it works for you, then congratulations... You've just encountered the placebo effect. Big Grin

Posts: 32557 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Never heard of it, but suspect well see more claims similar to this as April 1st approaches. Vasoline has been utilized for cuts and scraps, starting back when roughnecks working the oilfields used the non-refined version successfully.

Posts: 1925 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Put some Windex on it.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29732 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
If you gargle with Hoppes #9 your breath will smell like, well, Hoppes #9.

Posts: 17922 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
If you gargle with Hoppes #9 your breath will smell like, well, Hoppes #9.

For some people, that would be an improvement.

Posts: 32557 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Alternative for stitches, Super Glue.

Posts: 10056 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:

Eh. I used to do this as I worked a job with lots of razor blades and super glue. It works until the CA breaks up and you’ve got a cut that isn’t healing because the glue prevented the wounded skin from beginning to bind. Yes, it stops the bleeding, but cuts don’t heal well after using it. If you really hate yourself, spray some accelerator on it.

Posts: 17215 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

If I remember correctly the original intention of superglue was for stitches or something similar. God Bless !!! Smile

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3071 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
Put some Windex on it.

NO, Windex is for people running around naked.

Says right on the label, Prevents Streaking.

Posts: 11864 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of spunk639
posted Hide Post
Agent WD40, Dick Steel.

Posts: 2780 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
A certain Cajunlawyer purported the usage of WD40 to mask the smell of strippers. Effective? I can't say. Still have to explain the stray glitter.

Posts: 7483 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pbslinger:
A certain Cajunlawyer purported the usage of WD40 to mask the smell of strippers. Effective? I can't say. Still have to explain the stray glitter.

Hoppes#9 will work better IMO.

Posts: 7425 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by VBVAGUY:
quote:

If I remember correctly the original intention of superglue was for stitches or something similar. God Bless !!! Smile

It was employed in spray form to stop bleeding as a temporary field fix in Vietnam.

Posts: 6957 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mechanics put motor oil on burns from hot engine parts. Not really a good idea.

Pressurized fluids cool when de-pressurized, and the solvents can evaporate fast, creating a cooling effect. Minor numbing from the cooling might be the reason for the WD-40 effect. But then something like contact cleaner should be similar.

Posts: 4727 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by VBVAGUY:
quote:

It does work. I saw it when my stepdad had a bad cut on his hand, and we were some 90 miles from the nearest medical facility.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25644 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
A large percentage of the population is allergic to the solvent in "regular" superglue that could cause adverse reactions.

Medical grade superglue is formulated with a safer solvent.

If you keep it in your kit for medical use buy the right kind.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4131 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Put some 'tussin on it.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Drawin' salve.

Posts: 20131 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post