SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Court rules Oregon couple must surgically stop dogs from barking
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Court rules Oregon couple must surgically stop dogs from barking Login/Join 
Better Than I Deserve!
Picture of LBTRS
posted Hide Post
I have no sympathy in this situation as this is 100% the fault of the dog owners. I'm dealing with it now and our life is hell because of shitty neighbors who allow their Great Dane to bark non-stop all day long.

We're woken up at 4:30am every day and the barking is still going on at midnight. It is right under our second story master bedroom window. I'm a dog lover but at this point I'm ready to do many nasty things to the damn dog to get the non-stop barking to stop.

We've been dealing with it for nearly five years and understand how draining it can be.

I wish there was a better solution but I'm glad the court is providing relief to the poor neighbors.

Posts: 4986 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: September 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Almost as Fast as a Speeding Bullet
Picture of Otto Pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
We had neighbors years ago with a dog that barked incessantly. You get used to it. How often does the train go by? So often you won't even notice kind of thing.

No, not really. Not at all.

I have found that OTHER dog owners may go bark-deaf to the neighbor dogs, but those of us without dogs who are around the house all day, trying to sleep during the day, and just generally trying to enjoy peace and quiet, never go deaf to it. And the best part, all that is usually when the owner is at work and puts the lonely un-exercised dog out in the backyard to raise hell. They never hear it though.

I got a neighbor's dog banished from the neighborhood after a year of incessant barking.

P.S. We purposefully avoided buying a house near train tracks as well.

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon

Posts: 11502 | Location: Denver and/or The World | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Almost as Fast as a Speeding Bullet
Picture of Otto Pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimb888:
What kind of neighbors from hell are these jackasses? 20 years and all they had to do, even once they got sued, was slap a bark collar on the dogs.
Bark collars require direct contact with the skin, and I have seen them used wrong a number of times. Tibetan Mastiffs look like freakin' lions, so the probes might not have even been touching skin.

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon

Posts: 11502 | Location: Denver and/or The World | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
"The dog owners have 30 days to pursue a solution that will eliminate the continual noise from their dogs. Animal Control will continue to monitor the situation across the 30 day timetable. If at the end of that 30 day period the dog owners have failed to come into compliance with the court's direction, their animals will be forfeited and removed by animal control."

Wow, who would have ever guessed. A non-insane answer to a solvable problem. Roll Eyes

I agree with this.

A very simple solution instead of a headache.
And might I add to the removal of the dogs, a court ordered restriction on the assholes from owning dogs at their current residence.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16704 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I love my dogs.

But I loathe incessantly barking dogs, screaming kids, and any other random chaotic noise sources, like lawnmowers and leaf blowers, too, or for that matter - TV commercials and solicitors knocking at my door. I don't want to hear ANY of that shit at my house. Half the reason I have my own spot is as a sanctuary away from such noisy and chaotic bullshit.

No, you don't get used to it. So what did I do, I chose my place to live based on such wants and needs. I don't expect anyone else to solve it for me, I solved the problem myself. If I had chosen a house in a neighborhood full of other houses nearby, with train tracks, or a freeway next door, I wouldn't have much room to complain... such is life around others.

That said, I'm astounded the court and anyone else think they're empowered to require something like this surgery. THAT seems INSANE, and something 40 Million miles outside of what I want any government having power over. Truly insane, to me, to even consider.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't make the dogs suffer because the owners are assholes.

Posts: 7020 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Just for the record I am not saying an owner who doesn't train their animal not to bark isn't an asshole. I can't stand those types because they are usually the off the leash types as well etc.

My dog was trained from a puppy and was a VERY good, behaved dog. Not a barker except for the trash men. I still never walked her off leash.

I was just saying in my case it was just background noise. We had another neighbor several houses away that was doing some kind of construction for six or eight years, every day.....yet never had anything to show for it. My money is on missile silo underground.

I guess it all just became white noise to me.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7683 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have an individual close by(I wouldn't call them neighborly) that in my opinion is running a puppy mill. It would not be an over statement that there is barking occurrences 24/7. The woman of that house complained to me about my shooting activities. I replied "I'm surprised you could hear the report of the firearm over the dogs barking." End of discussion.

Posts: 997 | Registered: October 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
Is there something we're not getting told here? Tibetan mastiffs live for 12-15 years. So these have grown from puppies to mature/old dogs and have created this sort of problem the whole time? Oh, and they did it on 3.4 acres of land. That's not a huge tract, but it's more space between houses than where I live on an 85x100 lot in town. A neighbor's dog could be really annoying in my neighborhood, but with a 3.4 acre plot, I'd think there should be enough distance to mitigate some of the annoyance. I'd agree, too, a shock collar probably doesn't much faze a hairy critter like a Tibetan mastiff.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
Too late smart
posted Hide Post
My idea of hell is being surrounded 24/7 by nonstop barking, howling dogs. Got one behometh behind us now, barking constantly. I feel an ulcer coming on. Bottom line, the owners don't give a shit.

NRA Life Member
Member Isaac Walton League

I wouldn't let anyone do to me what I've done to myself

Posts: 1489 | Location: NoVa | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jbcummings:
Is there something we're not getting told here? Tibetan mastiffs live for 12-15 years. So these have grown from puppies to mature/old dogs and have created this sort of problem the whole time? Oh, and they did it on 3.4 acres of land. That's not a huge tract, but it's more space between houses than where I live on an 85x100 lot in town. A neighbor's dog could be really annoying in my neighborhood, but with a 3.4 acre plot, I'd think there should be enough distance to mitigate some of the annoyance. I'd agree, too, a shock collar probably doesn't much faze a hairy critter like a Tibetan mastiff.

No, not likely enough distance. There's a house on my road, probably close to 300 yards away on the other side of a thick wooded area. They have a dog that I can usually hear on my property.

Posts: 13743 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
6 big dogs' barking could easily drive someone nearby bonkers. Sounds like the owners got what they deserved. The years of legal wrangling must have cost the them a pretty penny, plus of course the $238,000 fine.

The dogs are just being dogs - not their fault they are in the wrong place.

If the owners care at all about the dogs (at least some of whom are probably pretty old now, in dog-years, as this started in 2002) they could see if some shelter will take them as-is and see if the judge would amend the order to permit that instead of the surgery.

Posts: 15031 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have our backyard neighbors that raise dogs to sell and leave them outside all of the time. All we hear is dogs barking incessantly,especially at night. If we didn't have fans, I would put a stop to it by having code enforcement day and night over there and am still contemplating doing it. If you have dogs, we have 2, I don't keep them outside all night and let them disturb our neighbors. There comes a time when you can only put up with so much and neighbors fail to be neighborly, so that is why code enforcement is needed. Like others here, I blame the people, (or animals), letting their dogs do what they want to do.

Posts: 6888 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post