SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Tips for maintaining garage and workshop tools.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tips for maintaining garage and workshop tools. Login/Join 
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted
I am finally advancing from buying the cheapest garage and workshop tools available to now accumulating/replacing my odds and ends with stuff of higher quality.

What products do we like to clean, protect and lubricate our tools? I've got all manner of greases and lube for guns and knives, but have mostly been using WD40 on a rag for things like sockets, wrenches, saw blades and stuff. What do you all like out there?

I'm thinking Superlube Synthetic Grease for things that need grease, Superlube Light Machine Oil for things that need oil, Renaissance Wax for contact surfaces on benchtop power tools, and 303 Protectant for power cords and plastic body housings. Happy to be steered towards something better.

Happy to hear your other tips to keeping my little garage workshop tidy and efficient.

Oh, lastly, what are we all using to clean and lube hedge trimmer blades? Mine looked to be pretty gunked up with sap and whatnot, and WD40 doesn't seem to be doing anything to remove it.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
For my hand tools (wrenches, sockets, etc), nothing needed.

For saws, shovels, and other items I am using jack oil. It's cheap and light weight. Just a light rub down after removing any surface rust and it's GTG.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shiftyvtec
posted Hide Post
Those are all great choices in my opinion, but probably unnecessary.

I have a heavy duty spray bottle I fill with WD40 for the express purpose of wiping my hand tools down. I wouldn't use WD40 on plastics or rubber, just for metal.

Yes, I am aware there are better alternatives to WD40, and I agree, it's for wiping off tools while simultaneously leaving a somewhat protective film.

Posts: 1568 | Location: Near Austin, TX | Registered: December 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Do not use silicone on hand tools (emphasis on the part the hand grips).

But PAM cooking spray or silicone is great for "scissoring" blades and under mower decks.

(Just do not google scissoring and PAM.
Do. Not. Do. That!)

Zerust Axxanol G (Spray can) is good stuff, and VCI paper for tool liner under the tools/mat and lay a sheet over top of tools.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43867 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
Do not use silicone on hand tools (emphasis on the part the hand grips).

But PAM cooking spray or silicone is great for "scissoring" blades and under mower decks.

(Just do not google scissoring and PAM.
Do. Not. Do. That!)

Zerust Axxanol G (Spray can) is good stuff, and VCI paper for tool liner under the tools/mat and lay a sheet over top of tools.

Damn, Zerust is like some hardcore industrial stuff. I like. Lol.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I keep WD40, Silicone Spray, PB Blaster, White Lithium Grease, 3 in 1 oil, Ballistol, paste wax, and and a grease gun on my workbench. Also I keep a wire brush, sandpaper, emery cloth and disinfecting spray at the workbench.

Late every Fall I wire brush shovels, hoes, rakes, etc, sharpen and spray with Rustoleum, wipe the wood with Boiled Linseed Oil, and put away for the winter.

My FELCO #8 hand pruner gets disassembled, cleaned, disinfected and sharpened all the time, same as my other tree and shrub trimming tools such as loppers and saws.

I have a ridiculous amount and variety of tools and I enjoy using and taking care of them.

Posts: 11837 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
Corrosion-X for wiping down anything you don't want to rust. Great stuff.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16509 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Boeshield for things I really want to take care of (electric hedge trimmers, miter saw) and WD 40 to minimize rust on things that aren’t super important (axes, shovels).

Posts: 994 | Location: Tampa | Registered: July 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tub-o-towels has proven very effective at wiping down power tools and nasty hand tools.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2363 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I just wipe the tools off after use and keep them inside the garage. Using them tends to get them oily.

Posts: 17881 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Fluid Film is another good product for steel surfaces to prevent rust. I use it on cast iron machine tables, as well as my steel workbench top, and anything I have de-rusted. It is mostly lanolin, and similar to woolwax but more fluid.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10784 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Tools usually get oily in use so just wipe them off.
If some get wet or something like brake fluid gets on them, wipe them off and wipe them with some sort of oil product.
Corrosion-X is good but a quick spray with penetration oil is ok too.

Posts: 9495 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
crazy heart
Picture of mod29
posted Hide Post
WD40 has kept my hand tools in perfect order for decades.

Posts: 1781 | Location: WA | Registered: January 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
If you live in a damp/humid area, or have large enough temperature swings for condensation to be an issue, keep some camphor granules in each drawer/cabinet/box you keep tools in.

It won't prevent condensation, but it will retard/prevent rust formation.

I use plastic film canisters with holes punched in them and about half a teaspoon of camphor in each.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15210 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
Boeshield T-9. A little goes a long way. I use it on my stationary tool tables, and on saw blades and router bits. Remoil also does a pretty good job.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
I use automotive paste wax on my table saw and band saw tables.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15210 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
I just wipe the tools off after use and keep them inside the garage. Using them tends to get them oily.

Same here...

Posts: 10052 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
An air compressor to blow the dust out, a large shop vac to suck it up& some WD 40 for items that go unused for extended periods of time.
I do have a dehumidifier I run in the stick month but only when we’re away traveling.

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6932 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Never done anything special.
I blow off any saw dust or if some thing gets super dirty I wipe it off but don’t do anything else to the tools themselves. I do use a couple drops of oil for the air tools before use.
But I run a dehumidifier in my shop to keep the humidity down been working just fine for a couple decades now.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25408 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I keep a small bottle of EEZOX on my work bench ~ the same one I use on my guns when I need to keep something from rusting.
Works fantastic on my guns and also on a lot of tools.

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post