SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Forum docs and former patients...Cervical Fusion x 2
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Forum docs and former patients...Cervical Fusion x 2 Login/Join 
Picture of SIGguy229
posted
Good morning! I'm going under the knife on Thursday to fuse C5-C6, C6-C7. I'm curious to see who else has had this done, and what to expect for immediate and long term recovery.

The doc, who has several NFL players on his patient list, is very experienced in this surgery--I'm not worried about his ability to do the job.

It will involve an overnight stay in the hospital.

Posts: 1726 | Location: South.....Carolina | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
A two level cervical fusion will really screw up your golf swing, but I've seen bigger ones (think almost total lack of mobility - like wearing a c-collar without the collar).

If you really need it, two levels isn't bad. I hope it provides significant pain relief for you.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16312 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
E-mail me at my address in my profile. As many on this Forum remember, I had successful 4-level cervical fusion surgery two years ago next month. I'll fill you in on everything you want to ask.

Posts: 4558 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
6 years ago had C5-C6. Two level is a bit mor complex from what I understand. Let it heal! Be careful of muscle atrophy - do the therapy.

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DougE
posted Hide Post
I've had C5-C6 and C2-C3 done, but not in the same surgery.

The water in Washington won't clear up until we get the pigs out of the creek~Senator John Kennedy

Posts: 987 | Location: Richmond, KY | Registered: February 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Well, mine wasn't a cervical fusion...it was lumbar (L4-S1). I will say though that you need to absolutely follow the MD's orders. Take it easy, don't push recovery. Use the pain meds, don't try and be some type of tough guy. Sounds like you've found a good Doc.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 7067 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
I had c-5 & c-6 fused about 20 years ago. Slight loss of movement; total loss of pain. I'm sure the technology is much better these days.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had C5-C6, C6-T1, lowest two in the neck and first thoracic, done in 1984, so maybe numbers off as it was a long time ago. Back then the fusion was done with your own bone from the hip.
First fusion failed as one of the grafts did not take. Second time the ortho brought in his personal neurosurgeon as he had noticed several things the first time he wanted the neurosurgeon to look at.
Very narrow column through the bonezor the spinal cord!
Two thoughts remain, pain from bone removal in the hip was much! worse than anything else. Second time around healing was about half. Neurosurgeon said he could have opened the channel, but more scar tissue result recreating problem, loss of use of fingers and pain in the right arm.
Recently been having some similar issues. Neurologist said MRI's showed some issues that could be aided by more surgery if I was interested. New techniques made surgery easier but still risky.
I declined, as a recent medical screwup makes me extremely reluctant to do anything invasive of any kind. He understands and said he was just advising me of possibilities. And aging slows down physical things a bit!

Jim

Posts: 1353 | Location: Southern Black Hills | Registered: September 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by walkinghorse:
I had C5-C6, C6-T1, lowest two in the neck and first thoracic, done in 1984, so maybe numbers off as it was a long time ago. Back then the fusion was done with your own bone from the hip.
First fusion failed as one of the grafts did not take. Second time the ortho brought in his personal neurosurgeon as he had noticed several things the first time he wanted the neurosurgeon to look at.
Very narrow column through the bone for the spinal cord!
Two thoughts remain, pain from bone removal in the hip was much! worse than anything else. Second time around healing was about half. Neurosurgeon said he could have opened the channel, but more scar tissue result recreating problem, loss of use of fingers and pain in the right arm.
Recently been having some similar issues. Neurologist said MRI's showed some issues that could be aided by more surgery if I was interested. New techniques made surgery easier but still risky.
I declined, as a recent medical screwup makes me extremely reluctant to do anything invasive of any kind. He understands and said he was just advising me of possibilities. And aging slows down physical things a bit!

Jim

Posts: 1353 | Location: Southern Black Hills | Registered: September 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
Is it Dr. Geo?

I had C-6 C-7 done back in October by him.
It was fine. Went home that night. After about 10 days I was driving. Make sure you have Netflix and Amazon you will be confined to the house for a while.

Biggest issues for me were swallowing and headaches. Not too bad though.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
After a lot of research I went another direction. I was in my mid 30's and didn't want the potential limitations from fusion at c6-c7. I had a neuro surgeon do traditional laminotomy and discectomy then layed on my back for 30 days allowing it to heal. Results are still great 10 years later. Every case is different and you may not be a candidate for the approach I chose but do your research and get more than one opinion. If you have only consulted an orthopedic surgeon I would find a Neurologist that specializes in spine for a second opinion.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGguy229
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smithnsig:
Is it Dr. Geo?

I had C-6 C-7 done back in October by him.
It was fine. Went home that night. After about 10 days I was driving. Make sure you have Netflix and Amazon you will be confined to the house for a while.

Biggest issues for me were swallowing and headaches. Not too bad though.

Snoris and I are going to link up by phone--Thanks!!

smithnsig...I'm having it done by a neuro at Andrews...Doc Maher. How long before you could be on solid foods? How long did the headaches last?

Also...I'm using "donor" (aka cadaver) bone for the fusion.

TXJIM...thanks for the words--yes, I consulted other neuros; due to age, the condition of my back w/arthritis, and activity, fusion was the better option. I'd prefer to not have it, but when I've got more than one doc from more than one practice telling me the same thing, there's little for me to do.

Posts: 1726 | Location: South.....Carolina | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bullshooter
posted Hide Post
University Hospital did a C3,4,5,6 laminectomy and fusion in Oct 2014. Spent 5 weeks in Cleveland VA Hosp for therapy. Saw some improvements for about six or seven months, but then pain in lumbar region and sciatica. Now relegated to my electric scooter.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 644 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: February 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
Best of luck in your recovery, it seems you have done your due diligence and placed your care in capable hands. That is the best you can do in these situations.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just less than a year ago I had to have a C-2,C-7 fusion done. The bad- hard to swallow much more than liquid for a short time,then solid food started to get easier, it took 3 months or so for that to get much better, still have a bit of restiction, and I have to be very careful, some time the food or drink tries to go down the wrong way. The doc has to disturb a lot of muscle going in and the swelling and inflamation takes a while to get back to normal. Having to wear a cervical collar for 12 weeks, in the summer in Texas.

The good- I can now feel and use my left arm. Before surgery it was all most completely numb, and I had very little strenght in it. There is a very slight loss in the range of movement in the neck, easily compensated for.

Good luck on your surgery, follow the Doctors orders to the letter. You should be fine after, just have a little patience.

Where's the beer!

Posts: 475 | Location: Oro Valley, Arizona | Registered: August 09, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGguy229
posted Hide Post
Thanks to Snoris for talking through my questions and concerns.

I had my procedure yesterday--my doc, surgical team, and post-op team were all great. I stayed overnight last night and was discharged today. The only issue is urinating post-op. Ouch!

Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
If taking a leak after having the catheter pulled out is your only problem, your doing GREAT!

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 7067 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post