SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Big chunk of Hwy 1 near Big Sur falls in to the Pacific
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Big chunk of Hwy 1 near Big Sur falls in to the Pacific Login/Join 
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
The drone footage is really impressive...

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16310 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Black eye for Apple—their new OS is called “Big Sur”.

Posts: 18042 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
I’ve ridden that stretch a few times, too fast and knee near the ground, from Carmel. One time it was lightly raining. 2 wheels many blind corners. Elevation changes. Puckered up butt hole in dry.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12620 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Welcome to California. Where the mudslides put out the wildfires.

That drone footage is impressive. They will need to build a bridge there or tunnel. After how many times did devils slide in Pacifica wash out did they finally just bore a tunnel ?

Posts: 4753 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SPWAMike0317
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
First, a couple years for a couple million bucks, at least, of environmental studies.

Then solicitation of bids, preferably by lesbian transexual gay ninja....well never mind that one.

Oh, almost forgot, whackyfornia will have to bring in counselors for the grief suffered by the travelers, tree huggers, turtle guardians and other such concerned people.

And don't forget, a ton of compliance officers, remediation officials, permit people, and tons of documentation to be done.

Not necessarily in that order.

Finally the repairs must be completed with equipment that does not use fossil fuel.

Let me help you out. Which way did you come in?

Posts: 717 | Location: North of Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: January 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow. I was there a few years ago and drove it. I remember wondering if it was safe between this happening and rock slides.

Posts: 5742 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
After seeing the drone footage, I realize now they'll never be able to repair the damage. With more rain coming, it's just going to increase the size of that washout.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
I've driven it a couple of times. Last time was 2010 and they were rebuilding some of the road. I was glad I had my Pilot and not Corvette for the rough parts.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3397 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
First, a couple years for a couple million bucks, at least, of environmental studies.

Then solicitation of bids, preferably by lesbian transexual gay ninja....well never mind that one.

Oh, almost forgot, whackyfornia will have to bring in counselors for the grief suffered by the travelers, tree huggers, turtle guardians and other such concerned people.

And don't forget, a ton of compliance officers, remediation officials, permit people, and tons of documentation to be done.

Not necessarily in that order.

You forgot the lawsuits filed by the Sierra Club to stop construction.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11762 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
That looks like a Matthew 7:26 with a Matthew 7:27 result.

Posts: 10908 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by UTsig:
I've driven it a couple of times. Last time was 2010 and they were rebuilding some of the road. I was glad I had my Pilot and not Corvette for the rough parts.

I was on the Gold Wing dodging rocks in the slide area as construction was clearing the road.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
I’ve ridden that stretch a few times, too fast and knee near the ground, from Carmel. One time it was lightly raining. 2 wheels many blind corners. Elevation changes. Puckered up butt hole in dry.

I can imagine. I did it in an MR2 and that was more than enough.

Had a chance to ride along in a Lotus Europa once, but declined...discretion being the better part of valor

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14180 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ElToro:
Welcome to California. Where the mudslides put out the wildfires.

That drone footage is impressive. They will need to build a bridge there or tunnel. After how many times did devils slide in Pacifica wash out did they finally just bore a tunnel ?
I was also thinking a bridge would be necessary--that is way too big a hole to attempt filling.

I may have driven that route back in the 1960s, in my 1960 Falcon. (It's been 60 years and my memory is fuzzy.) I know I've done part of highway 1. It was scary.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by amals:
I've driven that stretch of Hwy 1. Fortunately, at the time, it was still there. Big Grin Eek

Yeah, same here. We have driven that stretch several times over the years. I came from "mountain country" up in Idaho and was used to driving on such roads. I never felt all that comfortable driving that highway in kalifornistan.

And this is not the first time they had landslides there.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25642 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
AZ property values just went up a little

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Miss Teschmacher!!!

Posts: 21097 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
I may have driven that route back in the 1960s, in my 1960 Falcon. (It's been 60 years and my memory is fuzzy.) I know I've done part of highway 1. It was scary.

You haven't lived until someone offers you a ride down Hwy 1 and fails to mention all the variables.

They had previously been in a motorcycle accident and loss their right arm just above the elbow. What they failed to mention was that their car was a CRX and that it was equipped with a manual transmission. The first time she reached across to shift with her left hand while we were approaching a curve really got my attention Eek

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14180 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I drove the highway from Sandy Eggo to Marin and back several times. Awesome drive back in the 80’s

Posts: 53165 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
We used to have a vacation home at Sea Ranch, about 3 1/2 hours drive from San Francisco, 2 1/2 from Sacramento. Road closures were predictably unpredictable. Fortunately there was a bypass road away from the ocean, Myers Grade, which was the way to get there for a couple of years.

Caltrans does excellent and rather heroic work in putting in pilings, shoring up the base, doing whatever is needed to get the road open again. I've seen big cats working where I would be afraid to walk.

Wildfires, floods, landslides, debris flow...even without earthquakes California has more than its share of drama of the physical geography type.

Posts: 18042 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
Ran across something like this in South Korea back in 1991; not as bad. The uphill lane was still intact (the one we were driving in).

Posts: 9032 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post