SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Has Anyone Ever Purposefully Planted Clover In Their Lawn?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Has Anyone Ever Purposefully Planted Clover In Their Lawn? Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted
I’ve been reading about this, it sounds like there’s a movement of people that are planting Clover in their lawns purposefully instead of adding chemicals since the clover adds nitrogen naturally to the soil and coexists pretty well with the grass to crowd out weeds.

Apparently before 1950 or so clover seed was considered standard in most grass seed mixes and it was something people wanted in their lawn and did not look at as a weed. Then the lawn fertilization/treatment industry was born post WWII and clover became an undesirable “weed”.

I was thinking about maybe sowing in some Dutch clover seed and seeing what happens, I really don’t have the time or energy to be doing the whole lawn fertilizing thing to be honest, I actually just hired a service to cut my grass that’s how little free time I have with three young children.

What are your thoughts on this? Has anyone tried this?

Posts: 33884 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
Yes, starting three years ago I have planted clover (micro and Dutch) in our lawns at both my house in western Washington and my daughter's house in eastern Washington.

We have been chemically free in yards for nearly 40 years (because of children and pets paying in the yard) ... with the exception of using baking soda on the yard and roof to get rid of the moss.

I learned that clover seeds need to have actually contact with the soil to germinate. If just sprinkled over existing grass the seeds are very small and will not get down to the soil level. Helps a lot to thatch the lawn first.

Best decision we ever made.

Posts: 3190 | Location: PNW | Registered: November 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
I planted Mom and Dad's house with a combo of grass and clover, almost a half acre of it.

Worked out very well.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just Hanging Around
posted Hide Post
I don't know about the different types of clover, but the stuff we have in Kansas will spread and completely take over a yard.

I have an easement, at the back of my property, and I have thought many times about putting some clover back there for the bees. The only thing holding me back is that I don't know if I could keep it back there.

Posts: 3244 | Location: NE Kansas | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
No, but i have it and love it. Helps out the bees and looks good.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5353 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
I've said for years that I'd like to see all my grass die, so I could plant clover. It's maintenance free, stays low to the ground, rarely needs mowed, and it helps the bees.

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Yea, it was SOP around here back when my Dad was building houses back as far as I can remember. White clover.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4131 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
We planted clover on our ranch. I forget why it’s a good thing. Plants and I don’t get along. But Mrs DF says clover is awesome so I broadcast planted 50 lbs of it last fall.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29734 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
quote:
Has Anyone Ever Purposefully Planted Clover In Their Lawn?

My Dad did back in the late 1970s on a large area on his property around a shop he built. Years later it eventually turned to mostly grass. I'm guessing the grass from his lawn around the house was more dominant and took it over.

Posts: 2681 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
I didn't purposely plant it, but I have clover in my yard. I like it.
I like to watch the bees going from flower to flower, and it's good for them because I don't put any chemicals on my lawn (and that's because I'm convinced the weed killers caused my previous dog's lymphoma which killed him).

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16536 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Where did you guys buy your clover seeds? Local farm store? Online?

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38723 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Local feed store usually carries it. Helps if you live in a rural or farming area.

Posts: 17281 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 6guns:
Where did you guys buy your clover seeds? Local farm store? Online?
Around here the local farm stores usually have it.

Posts: 2681 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
https://www.southernstates.com...alog/search?q=clover

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10435 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I got 5 acres of it in my back yard.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34140 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I have purposefully purposely planted 15 acres of clover, but not in a lawn. Does that count? Deer love clover.

Posts: 11017 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WaterburyBob:
I didn't purposely plant it, but I have clover in my yard. I like it.
I like to watch the bees going from flower to flower, and it's good for them because I don't put any chemicals on my lawn....

Same here.In certain sections it's practically all clover. Some years ago my friend told me how good clover is and that it transfers nitrogen from air to the ground. All legumes such as locust trees, beans, etc. do this.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7120 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
Be careful to get purely clover seeds. I have a friend that bought seeds with 'sticker' weed in it-the one that looks like a little sea mines.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5967 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of K0ZZZ
posted Hide Post
I did a few years ago when I tilled up everything and planted a mix of clover and grass. I love it, and wish I would have done pure clover in the front. In the back, where there is more traffic with the dog playing, clover didn't really keep up to well, then again, most of the grass hasn't either.

... Chad

http://shotworkspro.com - Much better than scrap paper! Use 'Take5' to get 5 bucks off.

Posts: 770 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I have a well established zoysia grass lawn that started with a few plugs in the early 80's and has taken over my whole lawn, including parts that NEVER had grass. Also half my neighbors lawn. lol

If I didn't, I would plow up the whole damn lawn, get rid of all the grass and plant straight clover. I plan on doing that with my back yard that currently has no grass. (sand and stone from a former pool area)

Posts: 21123 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post