SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    airport rental car, any difference?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

airport rental car, any difference? Login/Join 
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted
so a family member needs to rent a full size "Premium" car for four adults. Maybe like a Maxima or Camry. Is their any one that is better than someone else. Alamo, budget, National, Avis, enterprise, dollar, thrifty, etc. All basically the same?

Are their hidden cost's other than the $40 a day?

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19776 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure but Hertz and Avis jumped on the anti NRA train.
https://www.washingtonpost.com...m_term=.d8c5608c3720

Posts: 7490 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Texas Proud
Picture of texassierra
posted Hide Post
I always rent with Dollar but that's in Vegas. Rates change daily if not multiple times a day. I rebook and cancel when a better rate is available. If the renter has full coverage on thier personal vehicle they shouldn't need to get insurance through the rental agency. Many credit cards provide additional coverage if used to rent the vehicle. Some agencies charge more to add drivers.

NRA Life Patron

Posts: 1916 | Location: DFW | Registered: March 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
there are often extra charges when rented from airport based locations. And be sure to understand how and when they charge for fuel... there are different ways the do it.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
They're all basically the same, just price shop it like anything else. Stay away from some of the no-name rental car places (Basically anything other than what you listed).

If your family member has an Amex card have them sign up for the premium rental car coverage

https://feeservices.americanex...nce-coverage/home.do

When you rent a car with your Amex, it's a flat $25 fee for the insurance on the rental car for the entire time you rent it up to 42 days.

Posts: 6400 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
I generally rent from National. But that's because I'm an Emerald Club member, and that allows me to pick the vehicle of my choosing.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Suppressed
posted Hide Post
Which airport? Maybe Silvercar is an option.

https://www.silvercar.com/

Posts: 3248 | Location: MD | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Last December I rented a vehicle from Hertz. By picking it up from a location about a mile from the airport I did not get nailed with the airport and city fees. The rental was half the price of what it would have been at the airport. Most rental agencies will pick you up. Not all places have the ridiculous fee we have here in El Paso. I have always had good luck with Dollar and Hertz.

Posts: 1757 | Location: El Paso, Texas | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
try to rent off-airport and you can probably cut your rental cost 15 - 20%

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53852 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SJS
posted Hide Post
I like National because you can pick your own car.

SJS

Posts: 682 | Location: NC | Registered: January 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
Check that your auto insurance covers while renting- and decline the rental agency rip off rates "for your protection/just in case"

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4657 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Take good pictures with your cell phone (assuming you have one) of all four sides of the vehicle to show any damage present when you pick the car up and drop it off.

Posts: 27185 | Location: SW of Hovey, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
My recent experience renting cars from Enterprise has been horrible. I will never do business with them again because of their high pressure sales tactics. Just about any of the other companies are good to deal with. You can compare prices on rentalcars.com.

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10544 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I do the National Emerald Club, works well for me, but my company usually pays for it.

Posts: 1188 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
For business, I'm a National Emerald Aisle member (some years Executive level) with Avis as a back-up. Emerald aisle is nice since you can pick your own vehicle and bypass the counter. However, Emerald aisle doesn't exist at smaller airports (e.g. Burbank) so you have to go to the desk and haggle on your preassigned car. I don't like SUVs on business travel as your luggage is visible (they never have the cargo cover) and prefer to get a car so my luggage is out of sight.

For personal travel, I use whichever whomever has the cheapest sports car or convertible. There are some regional rental car companies that I hadn't previously heard of but I've had good experience (e.g. Advantage in West Coast and Thrifty in Hawaii). I'm Hertz Gold due to a credit card and it's nice to see your name on the board and walk directly to car bypassing the counter.

I'd have a shitload more National points if they'd merge their 3 company's programs (National, Alamo, and Enterprise) since I use Alamo and Enterprise fairly often on personal travel and National for business travel.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23692 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Hertz is my preference.

Rates vary greatly upon the location, dates, and type of car.

Sometimes there may be a conference nearby and it'll drive the rates up.

Know if your personal insurance will cover the rental car or have a plan to avoid the sodomy of rental company provided insurance.

For personal use I go through Kayak, they often have better prices that direct with the companies.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
I have had good experiences with Sixt. They are a European rental car company that has moved over to the US. I've rented their cars on several occasion both in the US and Europe.

Had a bad experience with the Hertz at Nashville airport several years ago. As I was picking up my reservation, the guy said, "How about a nice Toyota Corolla?" And I said, "I don't care, as long as it gets me down the road." I thought he was giving me the car class I had reserved, but come to find out later I was charged with an upgrade. Tried to fight it with Hertz Corporate, but was denied.

So I don't use Hertz.

Posts: 11207 | Location: The Magnolia State | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys some good thoughts. How about through Costco or AAA?

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19776 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
I've used them all at one time or another but National is my favorite. I like Avis and the others that have signs with your name on them and the space allowing you to skip check out at the booth, but prefer being able to pick my own car from National.

All of the above is my experiences with the companies above is as a member of their club and with some status so how they work for an everyday renter I don't know. Also I know that National does not always let you choose your own car off the lot. Some smaller airports don't have an outdoor check out facility so you have to get your keys from the desk in the airport. Of course you could ask for a specific one if you know what you want to see if they have it, or walk out and see a car you wanted and walk back in and they would likely change you to that one.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15277 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:

so a family member needs to rent a full size "Premium" car for four adults...

What airport are they flying into? Some of us may be able to provide more specific advice.

Posts: 16020 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post