SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    how does amazon know ? ( porch bandits)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

how does amazon know ? ( porch bandits) Login/Join 
posted
Am wondering how long it will be before normally honest people will report to Amazon ( or whom ever)that their package

was never received, so that hey can get another one , for free?

reporting that it must have been stolen , when they actually got the ordered item.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54502 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Suppressed
posted Hide Post
You are either honest or not. I don't think the porch pirate problem going on right now will affect a person's true morality. I have called Amazon a couple of times to tell them that a package that was reported as lost has arrived several days later. They just said keep it. Or maybe I am just being naive.

Posts: 3229 | Location: MD | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
I'm sure there's a few people who might lie to Amazon about getting packages stolen, but I also think that Amazon has some system in place where they wont keep sending things to your address if it gets stolen all the time. They make you get it from one of their lockers, or the post office. I think.

But the bottom line is, the vast, vast majority of people are honest and know that would be wrong, so they don't do it. That's pretty much why all of society works anyhow.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 16995 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Suppressed:
I have called Amazon a couple of times to tell them that a package that was reported as lost has arrived several days later. They just said keep it.

Happened to me too with a new KitchenAid stand mixer. I called offering to send the other one back and they said don't bother. It rather surprised me as they are several hundred dollars. I felt kind of guilty, but a friend got a really nice gift.

I'm sure there are many people who try to deliberately rip them off already, and I'm sure that it is already written into their bottom line. Clearly it ain't hurting them.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Almost as Fast as a Speeding Bullet
Picture of Otto Pilot
posted Hide Post
If you are normally honest and you do this...you are not normally honest. Fraud, theft, general douchebaggery...that person is guilty.

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon

Posts: 11502 | Location: Denver and/or The World | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
I'm sure that if it continues to happen to the same customer repeatedly, they will either start requiring a signature to prove receipt or maybe cancel their account as they can't guarantee delivery.

Posts: 3370 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
Amazon is banning customers with too many returns

Same applies to people who claim stuff is stolen. Abuse the system and they ban you from ever shopping with them again.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
I suspect that the people who insist cutting the hands off thieves is barbaric haven't been ripped off themselves. Mad

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10696 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My regular Mailman yesterday told me he and some other delivery persons have begun taking cellphone pictures of Amazon delivery packages when dropped off at customer doorstep.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Normally honest. Interesting. I think the proper term is having flexible morals.LOL

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:
My regular Mailman yesterday told me he and some other delivery persons have begun taking cellphone pictures of Amazon delivery packages when dropped off at customer doorstep.

they do this in my area

I'll get an alert on my phone when the product is delivered, usually with a picture of it on my porch

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
naughty and nice...

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I've bitched about it before, but they don't even try to help prevent theft. I have two great big flower pots on the top of my front steps. Plenty of space between them and the house to stick even a large package and you couldn't see it from the road. Instead, 90% of the time the put it right smack dab in the middle of the steps, either right at the edge of the step, or right in front of the door where you trip over it. Roll Eyes

(UPS and USPS)

Posts: 21053 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
They should buy up the rights to the stolen package glitter bomb, once you get over x returns and have been shut down, deliver one to those folks homes...

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
Got an Alexia device in your home?
If so, they’ll know! Big Grin

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
There are 10 kinds of
people in this world
Picture of 686Owner
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yeah but that doesn't mean it wasn't stolen

Posts: 4599 | Location: KY | Registered: April 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 686Owner:
quote:

Yeah but that doesn't mean it wasn't stolen

Yes, but if it was delivered the delivery service is off the hook and really Amazon is as well (though they usually replace the item anyway).

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
I've got sliding doors that open to a covered stoop. Great place for deliveries. They often take pictures here and I get an email showing the delivery. Usually my little white dog has her paws on the door wanting to play and is in the picture.

Posts: 4683 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C-Dubs
posted Hide Post
Got an Amazon delivery a little over an hour ago.
They left it on the front steps.

For my delivery instructions, I said to put deliveries on my enclosed front porch.

I got a delivery notice, and it had a picture of the package on the front steps.

Below the notice, it had a “Tell us what you think about this photo” link.
So I told them:

A) it’s blurry
    B) my delivery preferences are set for deliveries to be placed on my front porch. The door behind the package in the photo is the front door of my porch. Why is it on the steps?

We’ll see if I hear any sort of reply.

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

Posts: 2863 | Location: SE WI | Registered: October 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Better Than I Deserve!
Picture of LBTRS
posted Hide Post
Been shopping with Amazon since the early 90's when they only sold books and sent every customer a Christmas gift every year. I have never had something not arrive or go missing from my front porch.

You guys must live in a rough part of town. Smile

I'm sure many people already report things stolen when they are not. I watch Travel YouTube videos and it amazes me how many millennial have no trouble ordering products and using them for a trip and return the product when the trip is over. Heck, they brag about it in their videos.

Posts: 4986 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: September 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post