SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Update: Induction out, looking for gas stove recommendations ...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Update: Induction out, looking for gas stove recommendations ... Login/Join 
Banned for
showing his ass
posted
We are needing to replace our gas stove and the wife wants to go with the electric oven with induction cook top.

I searched and found recommendations on the cookware for induction use (fortunately our cookware will work) but did not find anything on the best brands/models for induction stoves.

Appreciate any thoughts ...

Update : Appreciate all the thoughts, but now looking for recommendations for a gas range with a self-cleaning oven (if there is such a thing with gas).

This message has been edited. Last edited by: old dino,

Posts: 3190 | Location: PNW | Registered: November 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve been exceptionally happy with the Meile. Almost as adjustable as a good gas cooktop

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6218 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Are you wanting separate cooktop and ovens? If so, we’ve had a Thermador cooktop for 12 years and love it.

Posts: 2156 | Location: St. Louis | Registered: January 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
We have had a Thermador induction cooktop since 2011 I believe - has been fantastic with no issues. Same for our Thermador Refrigerator and double oven. Induction cooktops are fantastic, just make sure you have the magnetic cookware that works with them.

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Erick85:
Are you wanting separate cooktop and ovens? If so, we’ve had a Thermador cooktop for 12 years and love it.

Not separate ... want a freestanding range that has the induction cooktop.

quote:
Originally posted by FlyingScot:
We have had a Thermador induction cooktop since 2011 I believe - has been fantastic with no issues. Same for our Thermador Refrigerator and double oven. Induction cooktops are fantastic, just make sure you have the magnetic cookware that works with them.

Good to hear Thermador mentioned here (and Meile). We are also looking for a new refrigerator and dishwasher too.

Posts: 3190 | Location: PNW | Registered: November 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old dino:
quote:
Originally posted by Erick85:

Not separate ... want a freestanding range that has the induction cooktop.

quote:
Originally posted by FlyingScot:

Good to hear Thermador mentioned here (and Meile). We are also looking for a new refrigerator and dishwasher too.

What's your budget? Miele makes excellent appliances, both range and dishwasher (bosch too on the dishwasher). Refrigerator, I'd go with subzero. If on a budget whirlpool/maytag/kitchen aid for the refrigerator.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
Actually, do not have a budget ... just want to buy something worth spending the money on.

posted Hide Post
We bought a Wolf induction cook top back in 2017. So far its been the best stove that we've ever had. As long as you use pots and pans with a flat magnetic bottom you shouldn't have any issues.

“If the federal government is allowed to hold a monopoly on determining the extent of its own powers, we have no right to be surprised when it keeps discovering new ones.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 234 | Location: Katy, TX | Registered: March 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old dino:
We are needing to replace our gas stove and the wife wants to go with the electric oven with induction cook top.

I searched and found recommendations on the cookware for induction use (fortunately our cookware will work) but did not find anything on the best brands/models for induction stoves.

Appreciate any thoughts ...

Can't help you with any induction recommendations other than, a cooktop is the way to go. After having two of those heavy stainless gas ranges (stove/oven combo), I'm over them. Having a cooktop not only makes space management easier but, the clean-up is light-years easier. A stove-top and a double-oven is the way to go for the active household kitchen.

Posts: 14573 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
My wife also mention she would like a Wolf induction cook top ... and a separate wall oven. Since we are remodeling the kitchen and different cabinet layout this is doable. Though expensive, we are taking a serious look at Subzero fridge. Had too many problems with other fridges and don't want any more hassles.

posted Hide Post
Checkout Electrolux or their base brand Frigidaire

Posts: 192 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: March 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Though expensive, we are taking a serious look at Subzero fridge. Had too many problems with other fridges and don't want any more hassles.

Get ready for fun with the Sub Zero. My experiences have not been favorable. Blown compressors on two different units.

As for the induction cooktop, I truly hated it. Like, absolutely positively hated it. My wife even more so. I am convinced that they are for people who do not cook regularly.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rev. A. J. Forsyth:
quote:
Though expensive, we are taking a serious look at Subzero fridge. Had too many problems with other fridges and don't want any more hassles.

Get ready for fun with the Sub Zero. My experiences have not been favorable. Blown compressors on two different units.

As for the induction cooktop, I truly hated it. Like, absolutely positively hated it. My wife even more so. I am convinced that they are for people who do not cook regularly.

I was just reading about the Subzero compressor problems. At least one of the things I learned from our gas Bluestar (that had problems) is to research the heck out of an appliance first.

I do nearly all the cooking in our house ... and my wife the baking.

Frankly, I love cooking on gas. What is it that both you and your wife hated about cooking on the induction ?

Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Frankly, I love cooking on gas. What is it that both you and your wife hated about cooking on the induction ?

Neither one of us liked the care that the surface required. We cook a lot. Not just pasta and simple things, but sauces, reductions, braising, frying, you name it. We each have our own things that we like to cook, and we each had the same complaints.

Pain in the ass to clean, special cookware that rules out a lot of the pans we already had, and having to use an old school meat thermometer due to interference. Really tho, the cleaning was what did it for us. We had an Ilve, but I honestly would rather of had a 300 home depot electric element over it.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
If you live in an area where the electric power gets interrupted a gas stove that can be lit with a match is a nice thing to have. I don’t know whether there are still any stoves like that available anymore, though. 10 years ago there were.

My sister has to cook on her gas grill outside when the power is out at her house in Houston. That happens more than I’d like where she lives.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
Rev ... good point, and one that my wife just mentioned yesterday. She has learned that really need to take care of the induction cook top with both cleaning and preventing scratches as both can reduce the effectiveness of the cook top. And yes, we too do a lot of cooking here.

arfmel ... though we lose power once, maybe twice a winter for about a day, at least with our gas range now we could/have lit it manually and used it. Otherwise we too would be using the natural gas grill.

My wife now wants to stay with gas, and suggested we look into (as some have mentioned here) and standalone one-burner induction countertop unit when needed/wanted.

Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
If you want to spend a bunch of money on quality for a countertop single induction burner, look at the Breville Polyscience Control Freak. It's literally ten times the price of a cheap consumer unit, you can buy an entire basic induction cooktop for less, but it is a no-kidding commercial kitchen appliance and it is AWESOME. It lets you set cooking temperature at single degree intervals based on a pan temperature sensor built into the burner surface or an included plug-in temperature probe you can stick in what you're cooking. It has multiple ramp-up rate settings based on how sensitive what you're doing is to overshooting the desired temperature. It is AWESOME. On the high ramp-up settings, it heats up super fast, and the temperature stability is rock solid.

https://polyscienceculinary.co...ts/the-control-freak

I watch a bunch of the Bon Appetit YouTube cooking shows, and a bunch of the chefs there use them for temperature-sensitive cooking stuff because you can just set it and forget about it and not have to pay attention.

It's a huge splurge but I absolutely love mine and use it a lot, sometimes for funny things I didn't expect. A few weeks ago I ordered take-out hot pot to share with my kids (a Chinese thing where you take a bunch of different very thinly sliced raw meats and veggies and dip them in hot broth to cook them as you eat them). I didn't want it actually boiling, and didn't want my five year old leaning over the gas stove to cook her stuff. Induction burner to the rescue! I dumped the broth into a big saute pan, stuck it on the Breville on our kitchen island, set it to 205* and it sat there at a perfect simmer for an hour with zero intervention.

Another unexpected thing I use it for regularly is that it is awesome for French-style soft scrambled eggs. I can reliably cook them on a gas stove, but it takes constant attention and a lot of heat control. On the Breville it is almost trivial.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
maladat ... I agree that this is a very fine product, but I vapor locked and choked when I saw the price. Way outside our budget for a counter top one-burner. Eeks !

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
We tried an induction, as as Rev stated they are a PIA to clean, god forbid some of the water boils over from cooking pasta, it may require a straight blade razor to remove some things. It went right back and replaced it with a Wolf Gas cook top.

As was also stated, power out, all you need is a match (or a generator) and you can cook, boil water etc...

Posts: 23242 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No good deed
goes unpunished
Picture of cheesegrits
posted Hide Post
I would love to have that Breville!

We have this cheap Waring single induction burner that we really like. I bought it to see how we would like induction. We've had it 6 years and treat it like a rented mule. We've done everything from large, day-long cooks to quickie ramen noodles on it. It has worked wonderfully. No issues on keeping it clean--whatever we spill wipes right up.

When it comes time to replace our gas stove, we'll go with induction.

Posts: 2680 | Location: The Carolinas | Registered: June 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post