SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Concussion relief
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Concussion relief Login/Join 
posted
My wife fell, and incurred a concussion. She's had a massive headache for just over a week now. Been to the E.R. 3x, and twice to the trauma center (Grady in Atlanta), one of those times involving. helicopter ride.

My question....any experience in mitigating this type of headache. She also suffers from intense commode hugging migraine headaches, FWIW.
Thanks

Posts: 591 | Registered: December 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are centers throughout the States for concussion if you can travel. Look for the ones that treat NFL players and NASCAR drivers. Good luck

Posts: 17243 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I am really sorry to here that Chuck. Will say a prayer for her.
Not sure how old she is or if she has had headache related issues before hand. Sounds like she may have hit pretty hard.
A couple of weeks on a pretty serious concussion is not out of the ordinary. If nothing else has been found or unusual time is her friend. It may take a while to make a full recovery

Sounds like she is getting some specialty care. What are they telling you guys.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19196 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
I dealt with TBI-related migraines for some 35 years. I finally eliminated them using a relatively new technique called Low Level Light Therapy (also Low Level Laser Therapy). Took about 2 years, but I no longer get migraines.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16363 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
There are centers throughout the States for concussion if you can travel. Look for the ones that treat NFL players and NASCAR drivers. Good luck

Check these guys out: They are in Atlanta and know their stuff.

https://www.shepherd.org/patie...ex-concussion-clinic

Posts: 17243 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
I’m going to assume they have ruled out a subdural hematoma?

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8113 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://uihc.org/services/neur...ion-and-brain-health

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54655 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I work on concussion patients every week. Most are MVA, but some are slip and fall. Low Level Light Therapy works great, as mentioned by kkina. This is also called cold laser therapy.

The lasers I use are fairly expensive, about $5,000 new. There are probably less expensive models out there that work and are safe. Ideally buy or rent one for home care, then sell or return it when the problem is resolved.

There are some excellent articles on treating TBI with lasers. Search under: Low-Level Laser Therapy in Neurorehabilitation.

-c1steve

Posts: 4056 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shovelhead:
I’m going to assume they have ruled out a subdural hematoma?

Negative. Diagnosis is "Subdural, sub-arachnoid hematoma" (spelling might not be exact)

Posts: 591 | Registered: December 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
^^^ Wow, that is a huge detail. If accurate, that's an interesting combination of brain bleeds. She might have had a subarachnoid hemorrhage first (from a spontaneously burst blood vessel), making her fall, which resulted in the subdural hematoma. Again, that is, if your description is accurate. A fall by itself will result in a subdural hematoma, if there is a bleed, but quite rarely result in a subarachnoid hemorrhage.

Next question is, the subdural bleed must be small enough that they decided not to do surgery?

Q

Posts: 26420 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Three trips to the ER to include a helo-ride...this is pretty serious. Besides internet forum diagnosis, what's has her doctor said and what is their treatment recommendations been?

Posts: 14657 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
I feel for her. This sounds like misery. I’d be very interested in what c1steve suggested, but I’d have her back to the doc for follow up scans to see if anything has resolved or at least started to..

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5328 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post