SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Adjustable beds vs medical beds
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Adjustable beds vs medical beds Login/Join 
posted
My Aunt is thinking about getting an adjustable bed from IKEA or a furniture store. I remember that in the later stages of hospice care, a friend's parent was in a medical bed that was adjustable. Come to think of it, every hospital bed was adjustable.

SO.. here's the question(S), are the adjustable beds at a bedding store/IKEA the same quality as you get in a medical supply store? I would think the medical stuff is more durable. Cost differential?? The mattress sizes seem to be slightly different, what the 411 on that?!?!?

Posts: 693 | Location: PA | Registered: August 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Medical beds all have two side rails. The more expensive ones have a motor that allows you to raise both ends of the bed.
Go visit someone in the hospital and you will see the difference. Hospital beds are expensive. Sometimes you can pick one up at an estate sale.

Posts: 17236 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I’m not sure but don’t medical beds also assure safe use near o2?

I’m looking for something with linak brand motors. Any other brands to recommend?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The wife and I bought an adjustable bed a while ago. It really helped her back. They're pricey but for us it was worth it. My advice is to go to a few stores and try out as many as you can. There are a lot of different frame / mattress combinations. Once we found the combination we liked we started shopping for price. Taking that route saved us about $500.

Posts: 7551 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
A hospital bed is surely more heavy duty, but most come in the somewhat skinny form factor and will always look like a hospital bed. They are quite a bit higher to allow nurses to attend to the patients with out bending over.

The regular adjustable beds come in different sizes and when "made up" they pretty much look like regular beds. I don't think most will allow for up and down adjustments as hospital beds do.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I've had an adjustable bed since moving to Houston. Helps both my neck and back.

I spent 30ish hours in the hospital last November, and my conclusions:
  • hospital beds are narrower
  • hospital beds base height is higher
  • hospital beds have much more adjustment. At one point, I had the foot bottomed out and the top raised all the way up so I was basically watching TV semi-standing at a 45 degree angle. Doc came in, shook his head, and chuckled.
  • My mattress is much more comfortable. One of the reasons I was at the 45 degree angle was the hospital beds shitty mattress was bugging me.
  • My adjustable bed frame has predefined positions (e.g. zero gravity) and programmable positions so I can hit one button and not have to fiddle around getting into a comfortable position. My hospital bed didn't have this.

My adjustable frame came from Costco. I had already narrowed down to that model and Costco was less money and longer warranty.

My mattress came from somebody who is now out of business (the bed in a box business is a tough game). What I like about it is it's a latex base and then a separate 3" latex top layer. I have one side of the topper softer for side sleeping and one side firmer for back sleeping/sitting up. The two layer combo made it more customizable than most bed in a box.

Not sure if it's changed (i.e. do your own research), but at the time buying a bed in a box from Amazon was a horrible idea. Amazon's warranty return period was 30 days, but many bed in the box manufacturers have a 90 or 100 day return period. At the time, buying direct from manufacturer was a much better idea to make sure you liked what you bought.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23254 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    I bought one of the adjustable bed frames. They are nice. They work just like you would expect. Great for reading or tv. I like to sleep with my head slightly elevated sometimes.

Shop around. The prices are all over the place for basically the same product. I’m shopping for my moms tempur pedic mattress and they sell the exact same brand adjustable frame as I got from one of the mattress stores.

Posts: 7473 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    goodheart
    Picture of sjtill
    posted Hide Post
    Older people can sometimes get a bed rented for them through Medicare. My mom did when she was in hospice, and I think when recovering from hip/ knee surgery.

Posts: 18067 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Bookers Bourbon
    and a good cigar
    Picture of Johnny 3eagles
    posted Hide Post
    We put an adjustable Queen sized bed in our Guest room. Only complaint, you gotta buy an adapter to use a headboard. We didn't.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
    Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
    You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    His Royal Hiney
    Picture of Rey HRH
    posted Hide Post
    What is your aunt trying to accomplish? If it’s for back support, the mattress is more of a factor than a bed. If it’s for watching tv, an adjustable bed is more functional. If it’s for medical care, they have home hospital beds that are less expensive than hospital beds made for hospitals.

I say what you want to use it for determines what you buy.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19662 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    They make a night and day difference for me. My adjustable bed, used to be the wife's but she got a new one that only raises the head/upper part of the bed, as she didn't elevate her legs at all. The actual hospital beds have more metal parts and are stronger overall but heavy to bring in. The type of mattress you get also makes a big difference.

Posts: 6888 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    silence is acceptance
    Picture of birddog1
    posted Hide Post
    My wife and I recently bought a king adjustable bed (head and/or feet able to raise). It was the best purchase we made in a long time. We sleep with the head raised slightly. We bought Denver Mattress after trying just about every brand and type we could find. We had no intention of buying an adjustable bed but when we tried it we were sold.

Posts: 2338 | Location: Massillon, OH | Registered: January 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post