SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    So I need a used smart phone for the verizon network. Have questions
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So I need a used smart phone for the verizon network. Have questions Login/Join 
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted
So I bought a new Galaxy note 5 at costco. It was fine. Cracked the screen pretty quick. Did not buy the extended warranty. It still works, but not sure what the future will hold for it. I had an S4 Samsung that worked fine. Finally busted it.

Since the Galaxy note 5 was bought about 4 months ago. Can I buy a used phone from someone on the SF
and take it to costco or verizon and have them activate it in place of the note5 with out any issues of cost's?

Any insight?

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19110 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
If you're not locked into a contract with Verizon, take a look at Total Wireless.

They are a MVNO (re-seller) and they operate on the Verizon network, so you'll get the same coverage at lower cost.

If your phone is compatible with the Verizon network, it can be activated on Total Wireless, providing, as with any used phone, that it is not locked into a contract or reported as stolen.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30542 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
$15 for a screen repair kit on Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung...hesive/dp/B01ES150C4

Posts: 23238 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
1. Yes, you can buy any used Verizon phone (that isn't stolen) and use it on the Verizon network.

2. You can buy any used phone from any network and use it on the Verizon network so long as the phone is Verizon compatible and the phone is unlocked.

3. You should just fix the screen on the phone. You should figure out if you broke just the glass ($15 in parts), or the glass/lcd/digitizer ($260.)

4. You could also sell the broken phone on ebay or craigslist. People will buy it, bring it to China, fix it for cheap, and then resell it there where the phones carry a premium.

Posts: 13046 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, my experience with buying things like that kit are well, not very good. That is a no go for me.

I will see if my SF buddies have a phone I can replace it with and see if verizon will just switch it on my acct.

That seems like the best option. Don't care to sell my phone to someone to send to China either.
That just does not seem like the prudent thing to do for a few $.

I may just looking into total wireless deal also.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19110 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
How much are you going to spend on the new phone?

Check to see what it would cost to have a repair shop fix the screen. I fixed mine twice with repair shops around a hundred and fifty bucks each time. Still cheaper than buying a new phone. And now my dumbass uses a case.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11442 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ChuckWall
posted Hide Post
There's always Swappa. They seem to have a good rep.

https://swappa.com/

MAGA

Posts: 5689 | Registered: February 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Seotaji
posted Hide Post
If you feel like repairing the phone, I've used icracked.com a few times and it's worked out well.

Plus they come to you.

https://www.icracked.com/

Posts: 6917 | Registered: February 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post