SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Words that change meaning, that no longer mean anything
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Words that change meaning, that no longer mean anything Login/Join 
posted
There are a half a dozen words now that old people can't use because there are a half dozen factions that have three other definitions for them .

Some use them one way , others use them another way , others think that they are pejorative.

some can't define them at all .

its all so confusing,

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54682 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
I'll say what I damned well please, and deal with the consequences.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43915 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rover88
posted Hide Post
"When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean—neither more nor less." "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things." "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master—that's all."

Posts: 640 | Location: Johnstown, PA | Registered: February 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Between trying to learn and understand the brand new stuff
that comes at me at the speed of a fastball
and remembering the old stuff,

The last thing I need is for the old stuff to be changing .

Maybe it's age related ,

Posts: 54682 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
The word racist has no meaning any more.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Niggardly" seems to get folks fired up.

Posts: 367 | Location: Southwest Missouri  | Registered: April 08, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I don't change word meanings. I use words the way I learned them and expect people to understand them the same way. If they don't, it's THEIR problem, not mine. Am I inflexible? You bet, and I consider it a good thing. I am consistent.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Plugugly:
"Niggardly" seems to get folks fired up.
Cool it

Posts: 107690 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jtedescucci
posted Hide Post
Are you looking for specific words to be named? If so, then how about the word "guys"?? Means NOTHING anymore.... used to mean a person with an appendage swinging between HIS legs, but not anymore. Sorry, Gals - you are NOT "guys".......

"...we have put together I think the most extensive & inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics." - Joe Biden

Posts: 3043 | Location: AC/Clarksville | Registered: February 13, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
"Equality" no longer refers to opportunity. It refers to outcome.

Posts: 5906 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: September 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
“Optics”. I’ve been hearing this more and more listening to newspeak.

An example would be the startup of professional teams in the Covid 19 era. The reporter said something like, “In hindsight, and given the optics of the situation, we will move forward in a very cautious manor”.

It just sounds like mumble jumble office speak. But I’ve heard it more than once to be annoying.

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Hummer. I saw a slogan at one of the big box clothing stores (younkers?) for Father’s Day some recent years ago - “give dad a hummer” (opportunity to win a HumVee). I think someone must have been fired for that.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5336 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Supercalifragilisticexpealidocious (even though the sound of it is something quite atrocious).

If you say it loud enough, you'll always sound precocious.

Supercalifragilisticexpealidocious.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Every thing is "epic" Roll Eyes

posted Hide Post
Nobody misuses the word “literally” more than Sean Hannity.

-------------------------------
Inside every progressive is a totalitarian screaming to get out.
- David Horowitz

Posts: 5170 | Location: WI | Registered: July 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No good deed
goes unpunished
Picture of cheesegrits
posted Hide Post
The word "gay" is a great example. It's rare to see or hear it used to convey its original meaning.

Posts: 2680 | Location: The Carolinas | Registered: June 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cheesegrits:
The word "gay" is a great example. It's rare to see or hear it used to convey its original meaning.

Mrs tac's NAME is Gay.

Posts: 11334 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
The one that bugs me lately is "Dope". In my day Dope meant someone slow, or Drugs. Now, apparently, it means "great".

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
The term "hero" is quickly becoming diminished if not meaningless due to overuse.

Posts: 9535 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rover88:
"When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean—neither more nor less." "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things." "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master—that's all."

Language changes over time, whether it pleases us or not. Some changes bother me and some don't, but it would be foolish to pretend that they haven't happened.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post