SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Are email read receipts rude, and general email etiquette?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Are email read receipts rude, and general email etiquette? Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted
I am by no means important in any sense of the word so generally emails I send really are of no important matter. So until yesterday I have never attached a read receipt.

We get a little “stipen” each year for equipment we may need. Of course this stipen comes as a credit to one specific vendor and at that vendor we have a specific contact person.
Have a little bit of gear I would like not a necessity, as those are usually supplied by the employer, but something that would be useful.

I sent the contact an email inquiring about a specific product. A week goes by with no response no big deal it is summer vacation is a possibility.
We 2 rolls by nothing, then a few more days.
So I send another email asking if they had a chance to check on the product. Not sure why but figure I would attach a read receipt. Was that rude??

Not even 5 minutes later I get notification of the read receipt.
No response, nothing.

Would you not at least reply. I am looking into it?

That would seriously take less than 5 seconds to at least acknowledge a second email after weeks of no response.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25425 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
I don’t think it is rude. I sparingly use read receipts for times I am either sending an important email or for a situation like yours where the person has failed to respond. Read receipts are not 100% reliable because a person can still receive the message and choose not to send the read receipt. The rude person is the one getting the email, which requires or expects a response and they don’t even respond.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The One True IcePick
Picture of eyrich
posted Hide Post
I don't think their rude, not a fan either.

Got tired of being prompted about them
I have my email client setup to automatically reject them.

Posts: 859 | Location: IL | Registered: September 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Why would it be rude?
Unless every email sent has one then that might be abuse of the system.
Other than that no big deal.

Posts: 22910 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eyrich:
I have my email client setup to automatically reject them.

My mail servers filter them out. Delivery receipts, too. They can be abused by bad actors.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
Not rude in your situation, and it sounds like it's time to go up the chain at that vendor if you have the ability.

Posts: 6350 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Maybe he’s just busy?

I get 90,000 emails each day and some have read receipts. As I briefly scan them first thing in the morning, I always reject the prompt to send the receipt. It might take me another day to actually thoughtfully read the email and prepare a response.

Yeah, I saw the email...I’ll get to you when I get done handling the other emails ahead of you.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
I get 90,000 emails each day a

You popular

Posts: 26910 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
quote:

You popular

It’s called “internal spam”

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:

What is that? That's a lot of emails a day.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
quote:

You popular

Every time I saw that start up at my old job I nipped it in the bud. Yes, even when management did it.

Had one group of managers, at one point, tell me to stop doing that. Ok, I stopped doing that. Several months, maybe a year, later, they found people weren't acting on emails. They asked employees why. "There's so much email crap I don't read it any more."

They countermanded the order to me to stop policing internal email usage Wink

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
I'd rather speak to the contact on the phone then rely on email for getting in touch. A read receipt doesn't mean they actually read the email but if they answer the phone when I call we both know we talked to each other.

Posts: 3383 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I work an off shift and often have to talk to multiple people spread across the state, some of whom dont check their emails or just skim and delete.

I send an email and if theres no response my next step is based on the importance of the email sent.

If its not a big deal or if it only is a problem for that person then whatever.

If its something big or effecting alot of people then I send a read receipt. I consider it no more rude than not replying to the first email. I've found for the people who skim sometimes the read receipt tells them to pay a bit more attention as well.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
It was likely a great tool when it first came out. At this point, it probably isn't used correctly. Then new settings come to auto send or auto ignore because of the auto request abuse.

Flip this to a different media. Caller ID was allowed one to see who called. Then blocking caller ID became an option for those seeking privacy. That got abused by those attempting to scam so caller ID unblocked became a service. The only one gaining from any of it was AT&T because they could sell the services monthly.

If people would just do the RIGHT thing, the world would suck less. Sadly the few jackoffs ruin it all for the majority. Pick a topic and plug it in, the result is the same....

Posts: 3573 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
Anytime I receive one I click "no" to acknowledge receipt.

As far as people not getting back to you, that sucks. I have vendors I interact with on a daily basis. Some are very responsive, some not so much. For the one's who don't answer me I send a second email in a few days to a week. If that doens't work I'll then call them.

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
I use them with a few specific people that always say they never got my email, work related and important, they would always claim we never sent them.

Now, zero complaints, zero missed messaged...

Amazing thing read receipt...

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
In the OP's case I'm OK with the return receips.

However, years ago I turned off the ability of my e-mail to return a read receipt after this dipshit sent a ginormous PowerPoint in an e-mail that said, "upon receipt of this e-mail you're considered trained" and used the return receipts as proof of "training."

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23263 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
I didn't know that the person would be aware of the read receipt. Haven't used one in at least 5 years.

Posts: 4010 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I hate them, have never used them nor replied to a receipt request. When I was working and creating the images for our Windows deskops, I configured Outlook to turn off all automatic return receipt options. They could still use the feature from the menu, but most don't even know what a menu is. If it's not an icon button on the toolbar, it just does not exist. Smile I also eliminated the "Reply to All" button from the toolbar.

Posts: 10786 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Only time we use them is if sending a proposal / price qoute via email with only email contact specified.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post