SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Christmas Trees and Trains???
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Christmas Trees and Trains??? Login/Join 
Picture of SOTAR
posted
Who has a train running under their tree this year? I grew up running Lionel O scale and still running them today!. My favorite is a Virginian FM Trainmaster which was purchased in 1955.

What are you running? Photos??

Posts: 1037 | Location: portland, OR | Registered: October 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post
I always wanted to do that but never did. Is O scale the larger size with the three rails?

Posts: 5587 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My father had a Lionel set that was very elaborate and took up half the basement. My brother took an interest. For some reason it did not interest me. {Not trying to be critical}. It was one of the few things that gave my father pleasure in life.

Posts: 17251 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
No but I can just smell the metallic scent from the motors. Trains, race cars on a track, all smelled like metal burning.

Posts: 17896 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
smell the metallic scent from the motors. Trains, race cars

Oooh, good memories! Smile

God bless America.

Posts: 13508 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ozone and evergreen, a good combination.

Throw in some melting plastic from having an ornament too close to the floodlamps we had as Christmas light bulbs when I was a kid.

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2071 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Man. I haven't set up my train in years. I have a large ceramic Christmas village that my mom did years ago, I helped her paint some of the buildings.

We use to set the village and train up under the Christmas tree for years....

Maybe next year I'll set them up.

As a kid, I loved to run the train, the smell, the sound.

ARman

Posts: 3153 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
The last time I had a tree, it had a Marklin 1 gauge going 'round. 1 gauge is big enough to go around the presents too.

One time I had an HO setup with the train and slot cars. The crossings made it a pain to set up, but the US-1 Trucking layout was as much fun as the presents.

Posts: 9160 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
The wife and I have a 25 year tradition of a Christmas train. It is not a realistic scale model of any standard gauge, but a cheap mostly plastic six C cell-powered four car set (engine, coal car, freight car, and caboose) designed for the purpose. The track is plastic too, and is only long enough to circle the tree skirt once. Runs forward and back, plays a Christmas song, and blows a whistle. The dog has gotten very good at derailing it multiple times a season.

Posts: 6490 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SOTAR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is O scale the larger size with the three rails?

Yes, it is 27" diameter circle is the smallest, all the way up to an 84" diameter circle.

I guess I need to get mine out and share some photos. For me Christmas and trains go hand in hand. For 7 years now I've gotten to even help(play) with a big mainline steam locomotive. This year COVID did't allow for that. Here is a prior year photo.

Here's a video of my normal Christmas train. Not my video buy the first 20 seconds tells a lot.

https://youtu.be/iJe-1HtuF_8

Posts: 1037 | Location: portland, OR | Registered: October 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Got an O scale Lionel Polar Express for my boys this year. The engine and coal car are substantial but the passenger cars are plastic. Will try to upgrade them in the coming years.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10492 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SOTAR:
quote:
Is O scale the larger size with the three rails?

Yes, it is 27" diameter circle is the smallest....

Here's a video of my normal Christmas train. Not my video buy the first 20 seconds tells a lot.

https://youtu.be/iJe-1HtuF_8

Hence 027 gauge.

Enjoy!!!!!

Posts: 11332 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of scot818
posted Hide Post
Just got this a few weeks ago on a trip to Disney. It's hard to see but there's characters moving up and down in the caboose and Minnie is ice skating on the last car. We like it.

Posts: 1442 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: May 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This brings back memories from childhood that I've forgotten about.
My grandmother used to set up a train around her tree and I used to sit there and watch it. I still have the train set but it has not seen daylight in decades.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
We have the non O scale Polar express around our tree. And this year we found a discontinued lego set and added an engine to it.

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Marklin 1 scale under ours this year. Fit between the packages.

Posts: 2132 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MtnPlinker
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1962 | Location: Front Range CO | Registered: April 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
1957. It happened to me and my brother. Santa put a Gilbert HO set under and around the tree.
Still have the train set up on the high shelf. Sure would like to have a good HO under the tree today....

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6318 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post