SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    A/C compressor to condenser HP line (replacement)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A/C compressor to condenser HP line (replacement) Login/Join 
posted
I’ve asked a lot of questions lately on my truck and gotten good advice. Looking for more...

2005 GMC Duramax-the a/c line from the compressor to the condenser cracked when I changed out the thermostats recently. I guess it happens on a 15yr old vehicle. I know the part number to order. My questions are...1) Does it just come off with a/c or fuel line disconnect tools and 2) If it does and I replace it, does the system need vacuumed out and recharged or will it be good to go after the line change?

I’ve enjoyed learning about my truck, saving money on labor and appreciate the help in advance.

Thanks,

CT

Posts: 246 | Location: Damn it's hot! | Registered: September 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1. I don't know how GM does the line, best to just pay a good A/C shop to change the line as they are going to have to do #2. To change the hose should be very little labor.

2. Absolutely, you will need to vacuum the line and recharge the system.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
You’ll need to evacuate the entire system and make sure you don’t have any leaks. Once you’ve done that then add the appropriate amount of refrigerant.

Posts: 4127 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
a/c or fuel line disconnect tools

You don't need those for GM vehicles. (Thankfully.) The line has a flange on each end and is held by a bolt on the compressor end and a stud/nut on the condenser end. Sealing is by means of a little gasket, which should come with your new line. Seeing as the line has cracked, you've probably lost your refrigerant already, so you can skip the evacuation before taking it off, but it will still need to be vacuumed and recharged with a properly measured amount.

Posts: 27978 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
This will require someone with a/c equipment as it’s a sealed system with refrigerant under pressure.
There is probably a video out there so you can see what’s involved but not something to be done with basic hand tools.

Posts: 9535 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the replies. They’re appreciated.

CT

Posts: 246 | Location: Damn it's hot! | Registered: September 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shorted to Atmosphere
Picture of Shifferbrains
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
quote:
a/c or fuel line disconnect tools

You don't need those for GM vehicles. (Thankfully.) The line has a flange on each end and is held by a bolt on the compressor end and a stud/nut on the condenser end. Sealing is by means of a little gasket, which should come with your new line. Seeing as the line has cracked, you've probably lost your refrigerant already, so you can skip the evacuation before taking it off, but it will still need to be vacuumed and recharged with a properly measured amount.

This...

Might be a good idea to have the orifice tube replaced also since the system will be opened.

Posts: 5200 | Location: Manteca, CA | Registered: May 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post