SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    2008 Honda Civic EX brakes are exceptionally easy to replace! Stickman's famous last words?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2008 Honda Civic EX brakes are exceptionally easy to replace! Stickman's famous last words? Login/Join 
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted
Well I'm off to test drive the Civic and make sure the brakes work. I watched a YouTube video on changing out brake pads and knocked it out easily enough. I'm not going to tackle the rear brakes until after I check the front on a brief test drive. Wish me luck!!! Big Grin

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21100 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Ok, the rear brakes were a little different but damn. What a easy car to replace brake pads on. I saved some monies too. Big Grin

Are motorcycle brake pads as easy to replace?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21100 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shorted to Atmosphere
Picture of Shifferbrains
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:

Are motorcycle brake pads as easy to replace?

I've worked on Kawasaki, Honda, Harley Davidson and BMW motorcycles, and yes they are easier to change.

Posts: 5197 | Location: Manteca, CA | Registered: May 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, some cars are incredibly easy to change now that the rotors aren't held on with a cotter pin and nut with bearings inside. On my expedition, once you get the caliper out of the way the rotors slide right off.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spectemur Agendo
Picture of brecaidra
posted Hide Post
Hondas are generally a cakewalk to replace brakes compared to some others.

SIGforum's triple minority

"It can't rain all the time." - Eric Draven

Posts: 16993 | Location: IA | Registered: May 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
I've done all 4 brakes and rotors on my sons 2010 Civic, rear are also easy.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4014 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Suppressed
posted Hide Post
The easiest brake pad replacement that I have done was on my 1986 Mercedes. Just knock the pins out that hold the pads, press the pistons back, then slide the pads out and replace them. There was no need to remove the caliper.

Posts: 3229 | Location: MD | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
Brake jobs have become exponentially easier over the years. First truck had drums on the rear, not hard just had to remember how they went back together. You always did one side at a time so you had a quick reference to look at.

Now, my '05 F-150 and wife's '08 Acura are a 45 minute job usually.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigM4:
Brake jobs have become exponentially easier over the years. First truck had drums on the rear, not hard just had to remember how they went back together. You always did one side at a time so you had a quick reference to look at.

Now, my '05 F-150 and wife's '08 Acura are a 45 minute job usually.

After owning 3 trucks with disc brakes all around, the last truck I bought in 2010 had drum brakes on the rear. I did them just like you posted, pulled the drums and looked at the other side to make sure they went back on the same.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4014 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by brecaidra:

That's because they go through brakes twice as fast as the others hehehehe Big Grin

My mom has had to do hers twice in the front and the rears once in 80k miles on her 2012 accord, not sure if it's her, or the brakes!

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
My wife has 84,000 miles on her Civic and this was the first time the brake pads have been changed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by brecaidra:

You do wash your hands before you make sammiches, don't you?

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43867 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I'm guessing 4 wheel disc brakes.
Definitely a breeze. Never done drums myself & now both of our cars have 4 wheel discs.

Agreed with above. Do 1 drum & use the other side as a reference to make sure it's put back together properly.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15285 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
If you stand behind your brake work, will you still stand in front of it?

Posts: 27927 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
My mini cooper has brembo brakes, you want to talk about easy... the caliper doesn't even need to come off haha. knock two little pins out, push the pistons back and slide the new pads in.

not my car, but shows you how it's done. I assume it's so you can replace them faster at the track.

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You do it your selfers are so cute.....

Still waters run deep, so careful I don't drown you.

Posts: 146 | Location: Grantville, Ga | Registered: June 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
Well I'm off to test drive the Civic and make sure the brakes work. I watched a YouTube video on changing out brake pads and knocked it out easily enough. I'm not going to tackle the rear brakes until after I check the front on a brief test drive. Wish me luck!!! Big Grin

Make sure you bed them in properly. Hopefully you turned the rotors or replaced them.

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2268 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Looking at life
thru a windshield
Picture of fischtown7
posted Hide Post
Yes motorcycles are easier, you do not have to take the wheel off.

Posts: 3572 | Location: FL, GA,HB, and all points beyond | Registered: February 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
DonDraper, ain't nobody got time fo dat.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~