SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Shop Air Compressor Recommendations?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shop Air Compressor Recommendations? Login/Join 
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted
I need to replace the air compressor in the shop, as the current one is decades old and no longer reliable. Not worth having it refurbished, I think, so... what do we like that gets me as close as possible to the following specs:

2 hp
230V
20 gal
125 psi max
8.8 cfm @ 40 psi
7.4 cfm @ 90 psi

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16270 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
At 20 gal you're going to have to stop and wait a bunch if you use a HVLP spray gun. My 2 HP, 20 (edit: looked and it's 10) gallon vertical compressor I have to stop and wait a bunch when using a 1/2" impact wrench. Also, your CFM is a little low if you ever want to add a sandblaster.

How about this 3 HP 60 gallon vertical tank single stage? 3x the tank volume so less stopping and waiting, and it has 11.3 cfm at 90 psi so you can run a sandblaster.

Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23261 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I don't know as you're going to be able to get 7.4 cfm at 90 psi out of a 20 ga., 2 hp compressor.

What kind of price range are you considering?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am happy with my Husky from Home Depot. It is larger than you are asking for though. I have had it for maybe 5 years no problems. I should probably change the oil in it. I think I spent about $600 on it. I wish I had 20 cfm though.
It is a cast iron pump. If they have a smaller model matching your specs. I could see buying it.

I would go nicer brand though if you have the money.

3hp nameplate is 15 amps @ 220 volts
60 gal vertical
135 psi
listed at 10 cfm at 90psi

Posts: 512 | Location: Pearland, Tx | Registered: June 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
Keep the discussion going. Just to be clear, the specs I quoted are the actual specs from the current compressor, which is why I’m starting there.

I’m very flexible on price. Don’t want to spend needlessly, but I’ll spend what I need to for the right compressor.

I really like the looks of that one, tatortodd.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16270 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I've got a Husky 33 gallon upright that I bought specifically for blowing out my sprinklers (among other things of course). It has worked great for me and I'd definitely recommend the brand.

My only complaint is that it is very loud. This model, though, has been discontinued and the newer 30 gallon models are marketed as "quiet" so I doubt that this is an issue with them.

Posts: 20103 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Suppressed
posted Hide Post
Here is a nice one and you can pick it up at the store 20 minutes away.
https://www.tractorsupply.com/...ir-compressor-60-gal

Posts: 3230 | Location: MD | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
I caught this one on sale in the spring for $399
at tractor supply
Porter-Cable Stationary Belt Drive Air Compressor, 60 gal.
Product price $489.99

Darn nice one with good ratings

Posts: 22410 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the 60 gal Husky and my husband and I love it. We can spray, cut and grind to our heart’s content.

Sig P226 .40 S&W
Sig SP2022 9mm
RIA 1911 Gov't .45
...and more

Posts: 719 | Location: Maryland | Registered: April 30, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
I've got a 25 gal upright 'twin oil less' compressor max 175psi forgot the volume output, but it's Sears 15 year old 'level 7' capable of spray paint/sandblasting/etc.

120V, on wheels w/a type of cart handle to move about. I've used a few air tools with it, mainly for blowing things out/off/airing up tires/running framing gun. Decent job but wouldn't go ANY lower capacity for actual 'real chores'.

Liked it so much got a small pancake style for brad gun & blow drying various cleaned up bench work, opposite end from the big ones. Both are very handy.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9855 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have this one: https://www.tractorsupply.com/...pressor?cm_vc=-10005

This one is way overkill versus your specs, but you can run even high demand air tools without ever needing to stop and let the compressor catch up, plus it has a 100% rated duty cycle.

What was the price range you want to stay in? What kind of tools do you intend to run on this?

-------------
$

Posts: 7655 | Location: Mid-Michigan, USA | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have any of you with large compressors put them outside the shop/garage and built a little enclosure for it? It would be nice to get rid of the noise.

Posts: 8957 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
Have any of you with large compressors put them outside the shop/garage and built a little enclosure for it? It would be nice to get rid of the noise.

I have a loud 60 gal single stage at my shop. It was a simple thing to put it outside. I poured a little concrete pad, extended the roof to cover it, and put siding walls of T-111 around it. Two holes through the wall, one for the black steel air pipe, and another for thin wall conduit. I put a 1/4 turn shut off valve just inside, along with an electrical disconnect switch. I also installed a gauge so I could see the compressor side pressure. I now just hear a little hum from the compressor. It’s rather loud outside, though.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8219 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
In my juinor year in HS (1991) I bought a 30gal Craftsman with my paper route money. 240v, single stage, 12SCFM (yes, sustained), oiled crankcase. Never failed me and runs every thing I need. I change the oil once a year and it's still going strong. I paid $400 at the time.

I'll second the motion of setting it up in its own enclosure to attenuate noise. Ugg I've grown to hate the sound of the compressor cycling.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
My family has had good luck with Rolair Compressors.

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11145 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Does your present unit do everything you need to do with a compressor? If it does, there is no reason to buy a bigger motor or tank. If you run out of air then go bigger. Bigger units are heavier, more expensive and take up more room. I need more CFM and reserve so I have the 60 gallon unit but it is heavy and required a couple of young bucks to take it to our basement.

Posts: 1500 | Location: S/W Illinois | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
I've got a Husky 33 gallon upright that I bought specifically for blowing out my sprinklers (among other things of course). It has worked great for me and I'd definitely recommend the brand.

My only complaint is that it is very loud. This model, though, has been discontinued and the newer 30 gallon models are marketed as "quiet" so I doubt that this is an issue with them.

I have that same unit but I bought it at Lowes. I've had it about a year now and it works perfectly. Yeah, it is kind of loud but then so was the Craftsman that it replaced.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5040 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gimp with
The Limp
Picture of RBeach
posted Hide Post
My vote is for Quincy air compressors. I have a 2 stage 60 gallon 5HP rate at 15.4 CFM @ 90 PSI. It is 230V single phase. It does everything I need it to do. I run air sanders, grinders, shears, nibbler, sandblaster, etc.

It has a 1 year warranty, but if you buy the maintenance kit (basically it is an oil/filter kit), it extends it to 3 years. The extended warranty includes onsite service if it is ever needed.

Also make sure you get a good filter/dryer. Most people forget this very important part of their compressor. The air begin created by the motor is hot, and creates moisture in your tank, which in turn ends up in your air tools. I use one I got from TP Tools that takes a paper filter. To help with cooling my air, I ran a hydraulic line from compressor to the wall. It connected to 3/4' black iron around the corner and to my final point, with 2 leg drop offs along the way for moisture removal.

I bought mine from here for around $1300: https://www.aircompressorsdire...Compressor/p855.html

It comes by freight carrier. It is a beast to man-handle alone. I had broke my wrist the day before it arrived, and me and one other person were fighting to get that in my shop!!!

RBeach

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Mill, SC | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I haven't looked for a while, but, when I was considering a new compressor a couple years ago, I was leaning toward California Air Tools.

Looks like this would fit: California Air Tools 20040C

2 hp - 4HP
230V - Check
20 gal - Check
125 psi max - Check
8.8 cfm @ 40 psi - 12.80 CFM @ 40 PSI
7.4 cfm @ 90 psi - 10.60 CFM @ 90 PSI

Watch the video. Sounds amazingly quiet.

$1,149.96 at Amazon. HD lists it for $1,111.37. Northern Tool: $1,199.99.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 45 Cal:
I caught this one on sale in the spring for $399
at tractor supply
Porter-Cable Stationary Belt Drive Air Compressor, 60 gal.
Product price $489.99

Darn nice one with good ratings

I have that 60 Porter-Cable too (except mine's red) - bought in 2003 from Fleet Farm. It's been good to me. Early on I used it for lots of air powered tools. I don't have as much free time so the last few years it's mainly used for blowing out sprinkler systems (mine and my neighbor's) and airing up tires.

Posts: 1802 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post