SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Flood warning alert in the local area!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Flood warning alert in the local area! Login/Join 
half-genius,
half-wit
posted
There's about two feet at the end of the road, and rising.

https://flood-warning-informat...?location=+alconbury

The brook - UK-speak for creek - is up about ten feet and effectively covering most of the low-lying land in and between the twin villages that make up the Alconburys. Luckily for us we live in the 'poor' bit of the upper village, on the part that was built in the 70's on what was called, on the 1778 map, the High Fields. It would have to reach above 18 feet to get anywhere near us...

No need for complacency though, as we live in a dead-end street with the main road the only exit- and THAT is under two feet right now...so WE are cut off from leaving the house.

Mrs tac is just making a nice cup of tea..... Smile

Posts: 11432 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Prayer sent.

My parents’/now sister’s house has been flooded and I know what a bad deal that can be.

Posts: 27158 | Location: TOAD SUCK, AR | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
Stay dry, tacfoley! I am praying for your safety.

Posts: 8865 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Gentlemen, for your thoughts. Luckily I don't REALLY have to go out tomorrow, but Sunday is a bit of a must-do, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it might have gone down some by then...

Posts: 11432 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I hope your pantry is well stocked. Good luck Tac.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
As Extraordinary
as Everyone Else
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
Hopefully you have some nice libation of your choice to keep you and the Mrs. warm...
Stay safe!

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6462 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Were getting socked with rain as well. The nearby creek is the closest to our major east/west road as I have ever seen it.

Posts: 10040 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
Here in Florida the state DOT has a safety campaign called "turn around don't drown" when it come to flooded roads. You do not know how deep the water is so they do not want people driving through the water.
Be safe and don't take a chance if you do not have to.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2634 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
Hoping things work out well, sir.

Recall seeing a number of videos on youtube showing Landys playing in previously flooded areas in the UK.

Perhaps you have a friend or two with a Rover who might be able to drop by to help with your must do?

When things go awry, always a good idea to make a cup of tea Wink

Posts: 4918 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
our house is in a no flood zone as far as flood insurance is concerned...AUGUST 2016 a rain event dropped approx. 33inches of rain in a 2 day time frame...ended up with 41 inches of flood water in our house...lost 99percent of everything..got out with the clothes on our backs....it is one thing to watch these type of events on the evening news but to actually have to live gives a different outlook on things.....prayers sent...drill sgt.

Posts: 2078 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Prayers will be said for you by Mrs. Cooker.

Good luck brother.

quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
I'd fly to Turks and Caicos with live ammo falling out of my pockets before getting within spitting distance of NJ with a firearm.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4317 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for your concerns - it really is appreciated, and so very good to know that people so far away have got our six.

Thankishly, I see that much of the water has drained, although some of the local roads, where you really DO need a 4WD at times like this - or a boat - are still waterlogged. The local fields down at the creek level are still awash, remembering that the creek runs at least ten -twelve feet down from ground level in it's own watercourse. There is still a lot of water out there, folks, but not causing any real danger.

Our worst flooding living memory was back in 1998, when successive lack of bank clearing ensured that the water had nowhere to go but up, and that's what it did, some 18 feet in places...NOT funny.

Still, danger past now, and thank you all again for your support.

Best to you all from -

tac and Mrs tac

Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
tac my prayers go out to you and Mrs. tack and to your neighbors. Living in Louisiana we know about water and flooding. The 2016 flood here was something that no one here will forget.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
Wuxtree!! Wuxtree!

I drove out this morning having lifted my Benz station wagon about three inches due to its air-suspension set-up and had no problem. Looking across the little green there was about two feet of water up to the ford, which was, of course, up around around five feet and crossing most of the road up to the high bank where the posh houses are.

The other village has a far greater problem, with the brook/creek running virtually through one-third of it, in its own channel - but that was totally inundated all the way across, about five hundred feet of water, including the access roads on both sides.

No doubt it will be gone in a day or so, and nobody has been hurt.

posted Hide Post
Great news. What does Wuxtree mean?

Posts: 17478 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Connoisseur of
Fine Firearms
Picture of lbaker45
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
Great news. What does Wuxtree mean?

“Extra! Extra! Read all about it!”

Posts: 1930 | Location: Midwest | Registered: November 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks.

Posts: 17478 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tacfoley:
Thank you all for your concerns - it really is appreciated, and so very good to know that people so far away have got our six.
<snip>

Hope that you’re well provisioned tac. Maybe a few chip butties this evening?

Re: “have got our six”. That’s a British expression I hadn’t heard before.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9429 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
Tac. good to hear things are getting better.

Glad you, and yours, are OK!

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25656 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
quote:
Originally posted by tacfoley:
<snip>

Hope that you’re well provisioned tac. Maybe a few chip butties this evening?

Re: “have got our six”. That’s a British expression I hadn’t heard before.

It's an expression used by people who fight other people, on the ground or in the air, and implies that you have a buddy who is looking after your back.