SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Repair or Replace large Bathroom mirror
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Repair or Replace large Bathroom mirror Login/Join 
posted
The large rectangular wall mounted mirrors in both bathrooms have blackened around the bottom edges. Does it make sense to cut that part off of the mirror, put a frame around entire mirror or just replace with a new bathroom mirror? They are both over 35 years old.
Thanks.

Posts: 17251 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Are they glued to the wall? If they are I’d call a couple glass shops and get bids to replace them.

Posts: 26922 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I have the same thing.
I was thinking of striping off some of the silvering and re-applying a silver mirror paint.
I have seen it done but not yet tried it myself.
It might work.
YMMV.

Posts: 22925 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Are they glued to the wall?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Attached with screws.

Posts: 17251 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A decent glass shop will re-silver that mirror for you.
Just remember that ammonia is used to strip silver
and lots of cleaning products contain ammonia.
Thats likely what caused the original damage.
hope this helps. Jack

Posts: 360 | Location: West Palm Beach | Registered: March 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Facts are stubborn things
Picture of armedprof
posted Hide Post
put a frame around them and improve the looks of the bathroom and hide the problem.

Do, Or do not. There is no try.

Posts: 1786 | Location: Just South of Charlotte, NC | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
There might be glue behind them as well. I’d still call and get bids to have them replaced. The cost may not be that bad. I had one replaced several years ago and was surprised by the reasonable cost. At least you’ll be able to make an informed decision.

Posts: 26922 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Yeah, we had ours replaced a few years ago. I would say it is five feet long by four wide. A local glass shop came out and they did a very nice job. That damn thing was a lot heavier than I would have guessed. I think the whole thing was around three bills.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5046 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fvyellowbird
posted Hide Post
We did the frame thing at our last house. Actually looked much nicer than the plain mirror.

Hell, is other people! J-P S

Posts: 1140 | Location: St Simons Island, Georgia USA! | Registered: October 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
I had a 4'x 8' mirror come loose from the wall in our master bath, the only thing that stopped it from crashing down was the tall faucets we had recently put in. I cracked it trying to set it back against the wall. I secured the other two mirrors in the house with little brackets on top to keep them from falling forward.

Anyway, we replaced it with two nice wood medicine cabinets and a small rectangular kitchen cabinet my wife found in the middle. It hangs on the wall with room underneath for stuff. Turned out really nice. Cleaning that glue off of the wall was kind of a pain though

Posts: 5338 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Removed ours, found two matching framed mirrors (double vanity) and hung them in place with new
lighting bars, changed the whole look.

I prefer a nice framed hanging mirror to the standard full size, otherwise if you must keep it I'd agree put up a frame around it, a nice wide frame that makes it look custom...

Posts: 23504 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post