SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Maersk Ship Loses 750 Containers Overboard in Pacific Ocean
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Maersk Ship Loses 750 Containers Overboard in Pacific Ocean Login/Join 
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mutiny:
We've moved overseas a few times, and usually the moves involve freight by ocean for furniture, cars, etc. I always worry about this being the fate of our stuff someday.

That happened to one of my operations officers who retired in Germany. All of his household goods, including some collectable guns that he’d acquired in a long career, went over the side of a ship in the container they were in on their way back to the US. It would be a way of eliminating clutter in one’s life, but I can only imagine how sick he felt.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
In other words, he lost his guns in a tragic boating accident.

Posts: 10949 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:But having said that, I'm not completely against certain aspects of the Act being revisited, the building of ships in foreign shipyards being one of them. That'll certainly force our domestic shipyards to get more competitive. Right now, it is government regulations and unions that are frankly destroying the US Shipping industry, not the Jones Act.

For those that are familiar with the Jones Act, I think revision and adjustment is needed rather than outright abolishment. It serves a purpose however, the unintended consequences is that US shipbuilding industry not only isn't modern but, its not even competitive. We're better at building barges, oil platforms and Alaskan fishing boats...all of which are more/less custom.

This was a recent discussion with the owner of gCaptain, main source of merchant marine news, some interesting perspective and talk regarding Jones Act
https://podcasts.apple.com/us/...3979?i=1000491927178

Posts: 14656 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sunset_Va:
Will these containers be floating around in the oceans, or sink ?

What a danger if they are floating.

It depends on what is in them. I don't think they aren't perfectly watertight, but they close up pretty tight. They could float.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
quote:
Originally posted by HuskySig:
I'm not going to shed a tear over the loss of junk Chinese products.
You've got to wonder if some of them contain humans being trafficked though.

Those are 30 to 45 days passages, so it isn't likely.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
Talking to the golf pro at my club, apparently PING’s first shipment of 2021 product was in some of those containers.

There goes my new driver.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10354 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigeinkcmo:
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
Those are 30 to 45 days passages, so it isn't likely.

Transit from most ports in China to the US West Coast is about two weeks on the water. Depending on the ports of call.

Passage is one thing, the problem right now is the ports are backed up and COVID regs are slowing all parts of off-loading down. Look on MaritimeTracker and Port of LA/Long Beach is backed up with 30+ ships anchored waiting to get tied-up.

Posts: 14656 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 45_Auto
posted Hide Post
Sooooo....that's why there is a primer shortage! Big Grin

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
A Veteran is someone who wrote a blank check Made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'Up to and including their life'.
That is Honor. Unfortunately there are way too many people in this Country who no longer understand that.

Posts: 2306 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: November 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jigray3:
Talking to the golf pro at my club, apparently PING’s first shipment of 2021 product was in some of those containers.

There goes my new driver.

Man, I REALLY hope none of the containers were full of all those new 'unobtanium' NVIDIA Graphics Cards we're all waiting for, and cannnot be found anywhere right now!

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8888 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
So, if your plan is to really decimate the US Shipping industry, then by all means, get rid of the Jones Act. Other countries that have rid themselves of their nation's Cabotage laws have experienced very negative consequences. Australia is a perfect example of this. Their merchant marine is now almost non-existent as a result which is quite catastrophic to a nation whose entire border is coastline.

The main gist of the Jones Act is that it prohibits foreign flagged vessels from engaging in coastwise trade within the United States, though the other elements mentioned are a big part of it too, but they also have legitimate purposes. But having said that, I'm not completely against certain aspects of the Act being revisited, the building of ships in foreign shipyards being one of them. That'll certainly force our domestic shipyards to get more competitive. Right now, it is government regulations and unions that are frankly destroying the US Shipping industry, not the Jones Act. Still, it is imperative as a nation to continue to maintain the skill and ability to build and repair our own ships. Imagine in a time of war or crisis being completely dependent on foreign nations to supply our shipping needs. That will happen most assuredly with the repeal of the Jones Act. National security is a very real issue to be considered. Assholes like John McCain who took every opportunity he could to try and repeal the Jones Act never seemed to grasp this concept.

If the Jones Act were repealed today, the US merchant marine would disappear almost overnight. Why is that a bad thing? Because every powerful nation needs a strong merchant marine. In a time of war, do you think the Navy will be able to supply and equip our military alone? Not a chance. And when it comes to ship handling, experience, and professionalism at sea, there really is no comparison between the professional mariner and the Navy sailor. That's not meant to be a knock on the Navy, they war very well, but when it comes to all around seamanship, the US Merchant Marine are second to none in the world.

I really could go on (don't even get me started on the Environmental and safety concerns associated with mostly foreign crews operating in US waters), but I finally got all the girls to bed and the house squared away, and I really need a moment to sit with my book and a bourbon before the missus returns for my own peace of mind and well-being. With that, goodnight.

I agree with you that most aspects of the jones act are good. I do feel that U.S. shipping companies should be able to build a new ship outside of the U.S. for the reasons you mentioned and cost.

The issue I have is the starting size of the Jones act is/was 65’ which should be moved up quite a bit to 200’ or so and that’s an issue in the yachting industry, even though the yachts aren’t transporting any goods. Most boat yards that work on NO commercial boats here in South FLORIDA, require subcontractors to have jones act insurance (whatever it’s properly called) and it’s about $1200 a month, in addition to carrying $1-2 million of liability, workmans comp, and some now are even requiring workers to be OSHA certified, all to weed out the independents. A buddy of mine has 5 employees and has to carry/pay for all that and all they do is wash and wax boats. My business doesn’t fall under that as I’m the listed Captain on all of the yachts I bring into the yards and need to work on (covered by the yachts insurance).

To the other poster, freighters don’t usually take that long. I loaded a yacht last Sunday in Fort Lauderdale 17th, ship departed 18th for st. Thomas and arrived Friday 22nd, offloaded 8 yachts and loaded 3 and left that night for colon Panama and I flew into Panama City, Panama today because it’s arriving and offloading the yacht in Colon tomorrow morning, 8 days including a stop in st. Thomas. From the MED to Florida it’s around 11 days. Colon is the armpit of Central America.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post