SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    A question about RealID in California
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A question about RealID in California Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
My CA drivers license is soon due for renewal. The DMV lists a lot of documents that I could bring to get a new drivers license with RealID. E.g., an electric utility bill with my home address as evidence of California residency. But I don’t have them because I’ve “gone paperless” for all such. My T-Mobile “bill” is a text message saying that $50 will be taken from my checking account, then another text message when that happens. And I don’t have a printer.

However, my current CA driver’s license has RealID, as indicated by the small golden bear with a white star.

So my question for other California folks that have recently renewed a driver’s license: Is my current driver’s license all I need to get RealID for the new one? The DMV web site doesn’t say.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8959 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Go on the web page for your power company, even if you are paperless you can print a pdf of your bill.

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
Once you have the Real ID, you don't have to renew it or establish eligibility.

Posts: 4079 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
Of course they also implant a chip in your arm.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flashlightboy:

Thank you! That’s what I was hoping to hear. You’re in California?

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8959 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
What do you normally bring with you when you buy a gun for proof of residency? I'd imagine it's similar.

Posts: 7422 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am not in California. But I do know that one of the things Virginia accepts is a postmarked piece of mail addressed to you. I mailed an envelope with a blank piece of paper in it so I could get it postmarked.

Dropped it off at my local post office. It took three days to get to me.

Posts: 6623 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
quote:

Thank you! That’s what I was hoping to hear. You’re in California?

Yes. I obtained mine last year.

Posts: 4079 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nismo:
What do you normally bring with you when you buy a gun for proof of residency? I'd imagine it's similar.

That won't do it.

You need one or two documents (I don't recall) that show residency AND either of the following to establish you are a US citizen - a current passport or a certified copy of your birth certificate. An expired passport won't work. I couldn't find my birth certificate so I ordered a couple from the state where I was born.

When you renew you license, see if there's a DMV that only does license and registration. They are very fast. From the time I walked in until I was done, including taking a new photo, was 25 mins.

Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:

You don't have to renew a Real ID D/L? Mine has an expiration date on it.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16357 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Invest Early, Invest Often
Picture of TomV
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
quote:

You just don't have to show all the documents again, it still has an expiration date.

Posts: 1348 | Location: Escaped California...Now In Sunny, Southern Utah | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Mine has an expiration date on it.
Renew. They just want to keep getting money from you.

Posts: 9042 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:

Go on the web page for your power company, even if you are paperless you can print a pdf of your bill.
OP, first paragraph, last sentence, "And I don’t have a printer."

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30679 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TomV:
quote:
quote:

You just don't have to show all the documents again, it still has an expiration date.

That's as I thought. You don't need the extra documentation, but you still need to renew it like any D/L.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16357 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TomV:
quote:
quote:

This.

After you have the Real ID, it's just a standard DL renewal.

quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
Of course they also implant a chip in your arm.

What do you think those covid shots were for? Frown

Posts: 22910 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I thought I had lost my soc sec card and ordered a new one. Since Found the original. So now I have 2, anyway the SSN card on the blue paper with my then CA address not detached from the perforation was deemed proof of residency. I also brought in my utility bill and passport and birth certificate to prove many times over I was a real tax paying captive of the state of CA.

Posts: 4770 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nismo:
Real ID driver's license and CCW permit. I'm not sure I'd want to show the CCW at the DMV.

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
However, my current CA driver’s license has RealID, as indicated by the small golden bear with a white star.

So my question for other California folks that have recently renewed a driver’s license: Is my current driver’s license all I need to get RealID for the new one? The DMV web site doesn’t say.

You're fine. You've already gotten it.
The Real ID fiasco was a bureaucratic compliance exercise. When I went to get it updated, I only had one utility bill with me but, I did have the notice letter form the state to update so, they said that was good enough as the second 'bill'.

Posts: 14657 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:

I thought the "official, government mandated symbol" for the RealID was a gold star? Does yours also have a gold star? The bear thing could be just a CA add-on.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10786 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post