SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Welder for learning/home stuff?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Welder for learning/home stuff? Login/Join 
Team Apathy
posted
I recently acquired a little utility trailer that’ll get used a few times a year and I find it is lacking in cargo strap anchor points. I was going to pick up some basic d-rings and screw them on, but then realized that I might be staring a good opportunity to buy a cheap welder and learn how to use it.

For background, I’ve done stick welding… in high school… which was over 20 years ago.

I was going to pick up a Lincoln Welder Pak 3200HD used for $200 but somebody beat me to it. In looking around, I don’t see any great options like that available.

How is the Titanium 125amp Flux for light home use? I know it can’t do the gas MIG like the LE could have, but I suspect it’ll be fine for my use, and is often on sale for $170.

Thoughts?

Posts: 6375 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Sigforum Link Good Info Here

Posts: 11860 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
Sigforum Link Good Info Here

Thanks for the link. Smile

Posts: 6375 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Depends on what you consider to be an acceptable welding job.
I'd say for cargo hold downs they at least need to be safe and reliable, looks are less important. I'd pick the bolted method as that's not enough time to learn anything except that learning on something important is a bad idea.

I guess I'm picky enough that cheap welders are not good enough and the time required to learn is more than a few hours.
Maybe check out a site like https://www.weldingtipsandtricks.com/ for lots of good info and videos.

Posts: 9537 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
If you are going for a 110v machine a couple of tips. Use the shortest, heaviest gauge extension cord you can find. Find at least a 20amp circuit to plug into. 30 would be the best. Its been my experience the input is the biggest bottle neck. If you plug into a regular 15amp plug you are going to have nothing but trouble. If you can find the time do a community college class. They'll get you started in the right direction.

Posts: 7543 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
I wonder if this is a better idea…

Runs either at 110 or 220 and can do flux core, mig, stick, and Tig. Currently $300.

https://yeswelder.com/products...in-1-welding-machine

is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
I bought a Titanium 170 MIG from Harbor Freight to do exactly the same thing to my trailer you want to do. I also used it to add expanded metal to the sides (about 200 little bitty welds) & it really did those nicely.

I'm not a welder (REALLY) and it worked out fine. I learned well enough while doing it & have since done a few other things.

I used it on 120v in my garage because I found that it kept kicking the GFCI when trying to use it out in the side yard. Current drop, I suppose.

I imagine it would be better to put a 240v circuit in the garage.

$500 right now... https://www.harborfreight.com/...zEAQYAiABEgJMLvD_BwE

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5488 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am a retired Ironworker. Welding is a tool of the trade and I did it daily for years. Unless you are going to use it frequently, in stead of buying a welder, you may be better off taking any welding you need to a shop and paying someone to weld for you. If I was still working and had a machine and some scrap steel, I could do what you want in a short time. But unless you are really serious about welding, I would either pay someone to weld it for me, or use bolts.

Posts: 621 | Location: northern VA. | Registered: August 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thumperfbc:
I wonder if this is a better idea…

Runs either at 110 or 220 and can do flux core, mig, stick, and Tig. Currently $300.

https://yeswelder.com/products...in-1-welding-machine

That one is very well reviewed & probably the best bet on the off-brands. Yeswelder is going to be around for a while.
I just got it's cousin, which has Mig/Tig/Stck + built-in plasma cutting. Haven't even moved it to the shop yet, but build quality is pretty good. It will be a month or 2 before I get it hooked up & can display my craptastic welding ability.

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought one of the Titanium 140s (mig, tig, stick, spool gun, flux core) when I decided to build a track sled this winter. They were highly recommended by other members of some of the track sled groups I follow. It did everything I needed with ease (mostly light gauge tubing) and am building a second track sled this summer.

Titanium 140

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
--Adam Savage, MythBusters

Posts: 1748 | Location: Red Wing, MN | Registered: January 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ironworker:
I am a retired Ironworker. Welding is a tool of the trade and I did it daily for years. Unless you are going to use it frequently, in stead of buying a welder, you may be better off taking any welding you need to a shop and paying someone to weld for you. If I was still working and had a machine and some scrap steel, I could do what you want in a short time. But unless you are really serious about welding, I would either pay someone to weld it for me, or use bolts.

I’m get what you are saying, but I also value learning new skills, especially new skills that help me and my family be more independent and self-sufficient.

This current project seems like a great opportunity to learn on… it is a tiny trailer that will carry light and small loads.