SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Battle Of The Bulge (today's date)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Battle Of The Bulge (today's date) Login/Join 
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by c1steve:
And today, we are in our own battle of the bulge with the thieves and the progressives.

Please don't try and equate our current political climate to brave young men with frostbitten fingers literally fighting their lives. Good grief.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10498 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maxwayne:
The battle started 76 years ago today. It was one of the coldest Winters on record in Europe. My dad was there in the 3rd Armored Division.

I enlisted in 1955 in the 3AD, to go to Germany. Spent a total of more than 9 years there, out of 11 on active duty. Did a year in Iran, too.

The first tour was partly spent near Giessen, the transferred to Frankfurt. 2nc tour was completely in Frankfurt. I remember some of those cold winters.

Coincidently, a guy that worked with my dad was part of that battle of the bulge.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25644 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
"Nuts!"

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3462 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My brother was inducted into the 69th devision in late Nov 44. The Bulge started and his company only had 4 weeks training in basic, and they were told they get more training in Europe. You know what that means. His company didn’t fight in the bulge but did meet the Russians at the Elbe river.

Posts: 4472 | Registered: November 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The best book about the battle is "A Time For Trumpets" by Charles MacDonald.
A company commander and an official Army historian. Great read!

Posts: 970 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
My dad was there also, Field Artillery attached to the 10th Armored Division.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8139 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I would never take anything away from our modern soldiers and things they have experienced in the GWOT and lead up to it.

That said I just can’t wrap my mind around the kids who literally and willingly ran into a meat grinder on D-Day or the sheer misery of the Battle of the Buldge.

I just really don’t understand how somebody can be that tough, that brave etc. it always makes me feel like a child in comparison.

Those were some tough sons a bitches to be sure.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7697 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
My National Guard Division (28th ID) had a role in that battle and consequently I am always trying to add to my library good books on the subject. I cannot imagine the hardships those troops underwent in that battle only the Chosin few knew colder battle temperatures.

Posts: 3162 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I don't know man I
just got here myself
Picture of mrw
posted Hide Post
I very good book I recommend that is first hand account of the battle is Seven Roads to Hell

This book was written by the soldier soon after the battle.

mrw

Hand Made Custom Knives
www.sandownforge.com

Posts: 1737 | Location: Gulf Coast Florida | Registered: June 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
My cousin Mel was there. Never met a guy with a better outlook on life, and happier to be alive. I think it was connected. He never liked cold weather. Might be a connection.

He'd go hunting with my dad though, even in cold weather. He once told me it wasn't nearly as bad, and he knew the car heater worked well and wasn't far away. Besides, he had access to warm socks around here.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18389 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
The only BotB vet I knew was a German. He was 19 and wounded and captured there, eventually got sent to an interment camp in Norway. By the time he was released, the town he had come from had become part of Poland and so he settled where his nearest relative was, which was in the American occupation zone, but was eventually traded back to the Soviets. So he spent the rest of his life in East Germany.

Posts: 3558 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Schmelby:
The best book about the battle is "A Time For Trumpets" by Charles MacDonald.

Charles MacDonald also wrote a memoir called "Company Commander" that is excellent, and covers his own personal experience commanding an Infantry company during the Bulge.

Whereas "A Time for Trumpets" is an overall historical look at the battle as a whole.

Posts: 32557 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The loudest one in the room is the weakest one in the room
Picture of Rigby470
posted Hide Post
I met a man who fought at Normandy and the Battle of the Bulge. He almost lost his feet to frostbite in the battle. Great man!

========================

NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Home Firearm Safety Instructor
NRA Range Officer
NRA Life Member

Arkansas Concealed Carry Instructor #13-943

Posts: 1103 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank God those men were on our side. Unbelievable heroism.

Posts: 7568 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Grandpa, were you a hero in the War?

No, but I was in the company of heroes.
- Richard D “Dick” Winters

Posts: 13303 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
A little known massacre on or about December 17 worth knowing about...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...alion_(United_States)
Click: Did you mean: 333rd Field Artillery Battalion (United States)?

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My father was in in the Battle of the Bulge. Just an infantryman. He did not like to talk about it.

A great generation of war heroes passing away!

Posts: 797 | Location: NW North Carolina | Registered: November 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrw:
I very good book I recommend that is first hand account of the battle is Seven Roads to Hell

This book was written by the soldier soon after the battle.

Mr. Burgett was a friend of the owner of the gun shop I occasionally work at here in town. Unfortunately our paths did not cross before he passed.

Here is how Mr. Burgett was honored by the local Post Office and the community after his passing.https://www.whmi.com/news/article/howell-post-office-burgett

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8139 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post