SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Battle Of The Bulge (today's date)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Battle Of The Bulge (today's date) Login/Join 
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted
The battle started 76 years ago today. It was one of the coldest Winters on record in Europe. My dad was there in the 3rd Armored Division.

Posts: 5627 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And today, we are in our own battle of the bulge with the thieves and the progressives.

-c1steve

Posts: 4063 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
Our soldiers were poorly equipped for the brutal winter conditions. A lot of them suffered frost bite and pneumonia from the ordeal.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
My uncle lied about his age to join the military. At family gatherings we all knew he served as a cook during WWII. At his funeral they pulled his military record, he was a paratrooper, had battle scars from a bayonet fight in the Battle of the Bulge.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
My wife's uncle was captured by the Germans during the battle and was a POW for the rest of the war.

Posts: 12475 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
My FIL was in a field hospital nearby when the Battle started.
They pulled every soldier that could stand out of the hospital to put on the line. He confirmed that it was the coldest he had ever been.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6332 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had an assistant scoutmaster who had been captured in the first days of the "Bulge". That night the Germans had taken their boots, thinking it would be unlikely to try and escape...but with that lapse, he and some others got away that night anyway.

Posts: 887 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: December 14, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
my SIL grandfather was infantry in the battle

Posts: 23585 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
My Uncle was in the Battle of the Bulge - he got shot in the ass. Not running away; he had been advancing and had hit the deck. The bullet came from ahead, over his shoulder with a slight downward trajectory and caught him there. It wasn't too bad of a wound.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16536 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My father was in the 106th Infantry. He was captured on December 19 and was a POW until almost the end of the war.

Posts: 177 | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
quote:
My Uncle was in the Battle of the Bulge - he got shot in the ass.

One of the funniest lines in the BoB series: He shot me in my ass, Marty!

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6852 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shaql:
quote:
My Uncle was in the Battle of the Bulge - he got shot in the ass.

One of the funniest lines in the BoB series: He shot me in my ass, Marty!

That was 'Popeye'. This was followed closely by one of the proudest lines in BoB where he apologized for getting shot: 'I'm sorry, I fucked up!'

Posts: 7269 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
My quote was from Perconte in Foy after the breakout from Bastonge during the last days of the battle of the bulge.

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6852 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
My father was 2nd Armored Cav, tanks, attached to Patton.
I wish I would have asked him more about the war. Now I can’t ask. I think it affected him deeply throughout his life. There was no PTSD therapy, just whiskey and keeping it inside.

Posts: 11149 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shaql:
My quote was from Perconte in Foy after the breakout from Bastonge during the last days of the battle of the bulge.
You are so right. My bad. Popeye got hit in the ass with a grenade blast. 'They blew my butt off!'

Posts: 7269 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I’m on the 10th and final episode of Band of Brothers, and I find myself still constantly wiping my eyes as I watch this series yet again (a few more times than Lonesome Dove).

“My wife will tell you, anytime it’s a cold winter night I’ll say, ‘Sure glad I’m not back in Bastogne’.”

Posts: 13303 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NRA Life Member
posted Hide Post
My uncle flew a P-47 at the Battle of the Bulge. He told that he bounced a 500 lb. under a Tiger Tank.

Posts: 2284 | Location: Houston, Texas, USA | Registered: November 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My FIL enlisted in July of 1944 and had just arrived in Paris when the German advance began. He had trained in gliders but had not yet seen combat. He was immediately sent to Bastogne as replacement in one of the 101st Airborne regiments where he was immediately chewed out because his M1 bandolier was filled with cigarette packs instead of ammo. He was with the 101st from Bastogne all the way to Berchtesgaden. He spoke of visiting Hitler's Eagles Nest. He spoke of things like how cold it was during that winter but I never heard him talk of actual combat.

Posts: 691 | Location: Ohio & UP of Michigan | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by c1steve:
And today, we are in our own battle of the bulge with the thieves and the progressives.

*whistle blows*

Inserting politics into a nonpolitical thread. 5 minutes in the penalty box.

Posts: 32557 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
Thank you, Patriots.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post