SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Great, U.S. Army concerned about climate change
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Great, U.S. Army concerned about climate change Login/Join 
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted
Not sure what these leaders are thinking but I’m sure when world leaders read junk like this they think that America would be easy to defeat.

Army and climate change

The U.S. Army unveiled a new strategy Tuesday for dealing with global disruptions caused by climate change, which it says "endangers national and economic security."

"The time to address climate change is now. The effects of climate change have taken a toll on supply chains, damaged our infrastructure, and increased risks to Army Soldiers and families due to natural disasters and extreme weather," Secretary of the Army Christine E. Wormuth wrote in the introduction to the report.
"The Army must adapt across our entire enterprise and purposefully pursue greenhouse gas mitigation strategies to reduce climate risks. If we do not take action now, across our installations, acquisition and logistics, and training, our options to mitigate these risks will become more constrained with each passing year."

Specifically, the report makes the case that the likelihood of armed conflict will grow around the world as temperatures continue to rise and the competition for resources increases.

"The risk will rise even more where climate effects compound social instability, reduce access to basic necessities, undermine fragile governments and economies, damage vital infrastructure and lower agricultural production," the report states.
Areas of the world cited in the report include Middle Eastern countries like Syria, where drought is seen as having played a role in that country's brutal civil war, and the Arctic, where melting ice caps are poised to set off a scramble for resources.

Part of the Army plan includes making all military installations more self-sufficient in terms of energy and water needs, but it also calls for a sweeping transformation to sources of clean energy, switching to an all-electric fleet of noncombat vehicles by 2035 and for the development of electric combat vehicles by 2050.

A list of "immediate objectives" contained in the report lists priorities such as providing "100% carbon-pollution-free electricity for Army installations’ needs by 2030," and achieving a "50% reduction in [greenhouse gas] emissions from all Army buildings by 2032."

A 2019 report by Lancaster University found that the U.S. military is one of the world's biggest polluters. If it were a country, the report concluded, it would rank as the 47th in terms of greenhouse gas emissions.

Some Republicans in Congress who bristle at the idea that the federal government should spend money addressing climate change objected to the report.
"First, the Biden administration used troops as critical race theory lab rats. Now President Biden wants to turn the Army into a climate change task force," Sen. Tom Cotton of Arkansas, the top Republican on the Senate Armed Services Committee, told CQ Roll Call. "Time and money spent indulging Democrats' political goals is time and money lost in the fight against America's enemies — and our enemies know it."

But Rep. Adam Smith of Washington, the Democratic chair of the House Armed Services Committee, praised the report as "an important step."

The Army's new report comes on the heels of the October release of the Department of Defense Climate Risk Analysis. In the foreword to that report, Secretary of Defense Lloyd Austin called climate change an "existential threat."

"Climate change touches most of what this Department does, and this threat will continue to have worsening implications for U.S. national security," he wrote.

Posts: 4116 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, read the Sec’y of the Army’s list of priorities a couple days ago and “climate change” was no. 3. Surprised it wasn’t no. 1, followed by rooting out “white rage” and supporting transgenderism.

-------------------------------
Inside every progressive is a totalitarian screaming to get out.
- David Horowitz

Posts: 5165 | Location: WI | Registered: July 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
It’s bullshit pushed by hypocrites who hate America and provide cover for much worse polluters.

Look closely at EVERY SINGLE person championing this cause and then consider what THEY have done personally to be an example.

Climate change proponents by and large take a noble cause and use it for political gain and to inflict shame.

It’s fine to transition to more efficient vehicles but if the future isn’t electric you’ve just fucked yourself. Which might be the intent.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21117 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
A list of "immediate objectives" contained in the report lists priorities such as providing "100% carbon-pollution-free electricity for Army installations’ needs by 2030," and achieving a "50% reduction in [greenhouse gas] emissions from all Army buildings by 2032."

I know a way they can cut greenhouse emissions in buildings. Tear them all fucking down, throw up GP mediums and make them dig latrene pits and burn shit maybe then most of the god damned snowflakes that are now in my Army will get the fuck out. I know there are still plenty of warriors that serve, we just need to excise the commissars and woke pussys like the cancer they are.

maybe too much vitriol so early in the morning....apologies but occasionally the cold rage turns warm. Cool

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NapoleonSolo
posted Hide Post
The inmates are now running the nut house. I guess since my years in the Army, they have forgotten what their mission is. Be sure to tell the Chicom generals that climate change is so important as these f'ers surrender. Where is Patton when we need him.

“Our actions may be impeded...
But there can be no impeding our intentions or our dispositions. Because we can accommodate and adapt. The mind adapts and converts to its own purposes the obstacle to our acting.

The impeding to action advances action.

What stands in the way becomes the way.”

― Marcus Aurelius

Posts: 240 | Location: Indianapolis, Indiana | Registered: November 24, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
Climate change is a religion.

“Religion is the opiate of the masses” Karl Marx

Karl Marx understood the power of dogma and the control at which it allows. The people who are hooked on the climate change opiate believe unconditionally and have accepted their paradigm. Now, if you take the time to study paradigms and how they change, you’ll arrive at work done by Thomas Kuhn. Those holding on to the existing paradigm will not change their beliefs when new paradigms emerge, often in spite of overwhelming evidence to the contrary. The old paradigms age out and die while the new generations take hold of the new paradigms. The marxists in this country have done a masterful job of addicting the masses from behind the curtain in Oz.

Posts: 2961 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
Every appointee, or cabinet member in this administration is either totally incompetent, an absolute flaming freak, or the most anti-American POS that ever crawled from under a rock.

It's like the Dems are playing a nation destroying game of "Hey, hold my beer!" It's beyond belief!

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Better get working on those electric Blackhawks and solar powered M1A2 Tanks. Roll Eyes

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
It is not unusual for the US military to have contingency planning for very unlikely things.

As I recall there were contingency plans made in the 1930s for various war scenarios, even including war against Great Britain.

So I am not surprised that there is thinking being done about conflict in unusual locations and for odd reasons. It is good for the military planners to stretch their thinking, and when unusual/unlikely things happen it is good to have done some strategizing about options beforehand.

And, if they can reduce the energy/water needs of the forces in the field that will reduce some of the logistic burden needed to support them.

So, those aspects I think are reasonable - contingency planning and working to reduce the logistics burden.

The rest of it....yuk.

Posts: 15033 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BMR:
Yes, read the Sec’y of the Army’s list of priorities a couple days ago and “climate change” was no. 3. Surprised it wasn’t no. 1, followed by rooting out “white rage” and supporting transgenderism.

We have to remember who put all those stars on those shoulders!

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25644 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
The military is already well versed in handling conflict in differing environments. Artic, jungle, desert, temperate.

Climate change as a tactical consideration is simply operating in one or more of those environments. A well rounded combat soldier will likely have experienced them all in a 20 year career. In fact, many do as their are training courses at select locations on US soil, no problem.

Their position paper is mostly lip service to the administration who required it be written. There are much bigger problems in the military right now, the mandated vaxx has raised SERIOUS concerns with health conditions skyrocketing hundreds of percent, yet it's being covered up as recent seminars demonstrated.

WE HAVE POISONED OUR MOST CRITICAL ASSET. And it was deliberate.

Posts: 613 | Registered: December 14, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Climate change happens every year. They call it the four seasons. In fact it usually changes 30-40 degrees from day to night. They adapt to the conditions.
The Army is supposed to be about breaking things. We haven't won a war since they (politicians) decided to put them in a straight jacket and use them for other purposes.

Watch for them to embed social workers next, since it seems to be working so well for police.

Posts: 9524 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I ran across the headlines regarding the Army and this issue when I was searching for a topic regarding Civil Affairs/Psychological Operations.

It is rather disheartening that you other countries such as Russia, Ukraine, etc.. are training/ramping up for a possible conflict but we are worried about the four seasons...

It is no wonder we have fallen in the eyes of many as the World's strongest army. We may have the worlds strongest military but it is our strategies that suck... Especially the long game..

I keep telling myself get through the next two years and I am done... ..

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The idea that our military itself needs to be part of the green movement is bullshit. But I do agree with the point that instability and social unrest happening in other parts of the world, whether or not it is attributable to "climate change" is a potential risk to our security that needs to be considered.

Posts: 2486 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Relax people, DoD has other priorities.

/sarcasm mode off/

https://www.defense.gov/News/N...ties-in-us-military/

Diversity, Equity, Inclusion Are Necessities in U.S. Military

FEB. 9, 2022 | BY JIM GARAMONE, DOD NEWS

Diversity, equity and inclusion in the military are necessities for the United States, Bishop Garrison, the senior advisor to the secretary of defense for human capital and diversity, equity and inclusion said.

Garrison spoke to the Center for a New American Security today about the progress being made by the department and what still needs to happen.

Some 41 percent of the military identify as members of minority groups, and that number will grow larger, Garrison said. The military must be able to attract, train and retain them for the services to retain competitive edges, he said.

Fewer Americans between the ages of 18 to 24 — the prime ages for recruits — qualify for military service. "So, we have to find out ways of getting to a broader talent pool and broader interest groups in order to bring those highly qualified, talented individuals in," he said.

He noted that the percentage of minorities drops as they rise up the ranks. "Their numbers tend to begin to decline in terms of service; they tend to get out, and there could be a variety of reasons as to why that actually is," he said. "We need to take a very data-driven approach to get a better understanding as to what's actually happening here. What is the problem? And how can we address it?"

Garrison said the need for diversity, equity and inclusion to be a consideration or a part of all decisions in the military.

"I would hope that as many leaders and members of the total force as possible see [diversity, equity and inclusion] efforts as a force multiplier," he said. He wants them to see the program as a way to make the U.S. military more successful in achieving critical missions and in making forces more lethal.

Bringing in more talented infantry personnel or military intelligence analysts is the goal for any program, he said. When the military gets recruits from diverse backgrounds, there will be more innovative thought, more innovative solutions to incredibly complex and complicated problems that are facing the national security apparatus today, he said. "I want people to see [diversity, equity and inclusion] as another tool in the toolkit and another way of solving these problems.

"It's not just something that has to be done because of some type of cultural ideology or culture wars that are going on — that's not the case at all. It is, again, not diversity for diversity's sake," Garrison said.

Posts: 15909 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Electrified Combat Vehicles. Right. Show me a battery powered Abrams, please. Roll Eyes

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16101 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's only 1,500 HP. Should be hard to get a battery to generate that. Big Grin

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
Making bases self-sufficient in water and fuel/finding ways to reduce energy usage/system complexity/simplify the supply chain makes sense...

Get the battery tech right, and it may make a great deal more sense to put mini reactors on bases, and run everything on electric, than transport diesel.

Posts: 5741 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
When I read this rubbish, my 1st thought was this guy is from the bay area. I was not wrong.

David Knowles
Senior Editor
An editor at Yahoo News, David has worked as a reporter and editor for Bloomberg Politics, the New York Daily News, The Daily and AOL, and his writing has appeared in the New York Times, the Wall Street Journal, Newsday, and the Hollywood Reporter. An active musician, he also served as a Senior Editor at Acoustic Guitar magazine, and was Editor of the quarterly publication, Ukulele. He has published two novels, The Secrets of the Camera Obscura (Chronicle Books) and The Third Eye (Nan A. Talese/Doubleday), and lives in the San Francisco Bay Area.

Posts: 2679 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe that angry kid, Greta Thornberg could be a lead spokesperson for the new initiative.

Posts: 17250 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post