SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    My son & his friend get yelled out by a mother today at Scout camp when they caught her son stealing from the trading post
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My son & his friend get yelled out by a mother today at Scout camp when they caught her son stealing from the trading post Login/Join 
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
One of the Jr DFs stole an item when he was 5. We found him with it and after a few questions, he confessed. We took him back to the store and made him give it back with a confession and apology. It was hard to watch him suffer through that humiliation and fear. He never stole anything ever again.

My mother did the same when I swiped a pack of gum at 3/4/5 years of age. She directed the right thing to do, return it and show remorse. I have a vague memory of the event but most certainly was not traumatized.

Why not steal? A), G-d says not to do it. B), a thieving society is unsustainable. C), 'I do not steal because I do not like being stolen from'. D), I will be punished if caught. E), Karma.

Clearly the "mother" chose the inversion of D, 'it's not wrong if I do not get caught'. Tie off her tubes and remove the children to good homes.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5995 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I’m not clear on this. Woman’s kid tried to steal something. What is she yelling at your son about?

And then, why is an adult yelling at a kid? Have an issue, take it up with the adult supervising the kid.

The thief and the mom shouldn’t be allowed in this organization.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 13088 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Scout camp is a great place for the little thief. That way he can get used to living in a communal setting surrounded by men. That's how he's likely going to be spending long stretches of his life.

Posts: 17253 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
One of the Jr DFs stole an item when he was 5. We found him with it and after a few questions, he confessed. We took him back to the store and made him give it back with a confession and apology. It was hard to watch him suffer through that humiliation and fear. He never stole anything ever again.

Me exactly!!
I was about 5 years old, it was orange Tic tacs, from The Walgreens.
Mom heard them clanking around as I was opening them in the back seat and marched my little tail end back inside.
This fella never stole again.

But back to the OP good on your boy!!!!
What did he get as a reward for his actions?

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25674 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Was the kid's name Dindu Nuffin? From the large clan in America?

Posts: 1892 | Location: KY | Registered: April 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by comet24:
quote:
Originally posted by BB61:
Unfortunately, the director let it slide so all teaching moments were lost.

Sounds like the director needs to grow a set.

And a refresher on the 10th point: A Scout is Brave.

Posts: 2521 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
BB61 I would not let this go. That director is being worse than negligent.

Take it further up the chain of command.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
+1
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:
The camp Director should be notified and the kid, due to his stealing and the parents actions, should be reminded of the Scout Law, then asked to leave camp.

There is no place in a Boy Scout camp for a kid that steals, and who's parent yells at Scouts doing the right thing.

Posts: 13861 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
If garbage like this is the present and future of scouting then I will not bother sending my 2 Sons into scouts.

Posts: 3218 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:
quote:

Incorrect, there was a major teaching moments here.

1. The thief scout learned that if he is caught, mom will yell and scream and there are no consequences
2. Mom learned that if she yells at the accuser, her little thief gets away with no penalty
3. Your son learned that if he sees something wrong and speaks up, he'll get verbally assaulted by an adult
4. EVERYONE learned that the Camp Director has zero control over the camp, and is more concerned with keeping the peace than enforcing good values and discipline.

Granted, not a single one of those is a good lesson, but it was definitely a teachable (and I hate that term) moment.

Yep. Every single individual in that story, except BB61's son and his friend running the store, did exactly the wrong thing, and got away with it.

So far, that is. Camp directors have bosses, too. Wink

Posts: 15144 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
quote:

Me exactly!!
Mom heard them clanking around as I was opening them in the back seat and marched my little tail end back inside.

For me it was a matchbox car from a store called Two Guys. Dad took me back to the store, called the store manager and had me give it back to him. I vividly remember this as it was about a week before Easter.

My 2 boys 6 & 7 are in cub scouts. Last year I took them to the scout shop to get their shirt when the oldest went from a Lion to a Tiger. Oldest one swiped a Tiger pin while I wasn't looking. I found out after we got home. I had him write a letter apologizing for stealing. Then, I took them back to the store and had him give the letter to the store clerk and apologize in person. We also had a long talk about why stealing was wrong.

I think he's cured...for now. If he does it again when he gets a little older we'll go from there.

Posts: 5817 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OMCHamlin:
quote:

The way to answer that is for all families that feel as though this is wrong (to allow the little thief and his shrew mother to remain at camp), is to pull their decent kids out of camp. Sadly, no one will want to go to all that length, ...

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men should do nothing.” - Apocryphally attributed to Edumund Burke

I would almost lay money, and give you odds, you're right, OMCHamlin. More's the pity Frown

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of heisrizn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by comet24:
quote:

Sounds like the director needs to grow a set.

Does the director have a set?

Lots of recent changes to scouting.

Posts: 1549 | Location: Fayetteville, NC | Registered: April 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of heisrizn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1967Goat:
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
quote:

Me exactly!!

For me it was a matchbox car from a store called Two Guys. Dad took me back to the store, called the store manager and had me give it back to him. I vividly remember this as it was about a week before Easter.

My 2 boys 6 & 7 are in cub scouts. Last year I took them to the scout shop to get their shirt when the oldest went from a Lion to a Tiger. Oldest one swiped a Tiger pin while I wasn't looking. I found out after we got home. I had him write a letter apologizing for stealing. Then, I took them back to the store and had him give the letter to the store clerk and apologize in person. We also had a long talk about why stealing was wrong.

I think he's cured...for now. If he does it again when he gets a little older we'll go from there.

When I was eight I figured out at a grocery store that I could hack the quarter candy dispenser. When we left the store, I proudly told my mother, pockets full of candy, what I'd done.

She drove me back to the store, made me apologize to the manager for my actions and required I police the parking lot every time we went grocery shopping for months.

Posts: 1549 | Location: Fayetteville, NC | Registered: April 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
Had this happened to one of our boys, I would have gone to the council directly. A director like that needs to be removed.

We got so disillusioned with scouts that our guys were out by the time they hit middle school. Problems with some leaders, clique behavior, etc. the cubs were better.

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
My mother would have whipped my ass with a belt and then would have made me publicly apologize. Has little Jonnie been expelled yet?

More leftist bullshit from little Johnnie's snowflake mommy...

I know I'm getting old because this is similar to what would have happened to me. Except that it would have been my old man.

And, I would not have to worry about being expelled because, after whipping my ass with a belt and having me apologize, my old man would have pulled me from the camp and taken me home.

Posts: 6568 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
The kid and his mom weren’t back today (it’s a smaller camp) for day two of the camp.

Posts: 12577 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Well, maybe the director had a word with them, anyway, but simply chose to handle it quietly.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
We had a theft incident when I was active.
Kid was expelled from camp.
Troop kicked him out.
Pretty sure his parents disciplined him too. My, how times have changed.

When this kid gets shot in a robbery or burglary in five years, his momma's gonna scream on about how it "ain't his fault".

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dirty Boat Guy
Picture of parallel
posted Hide Post
Some of y'all need to consider putting away that broad brush. My boy is in the Scouts and there is NO doubt in my mind (or anyone else in this troop) that Son would have been called on the carpet and Mom would have been directed to pack up and leave if she tried that stunt.

A penny saved is a government oversight.

Posts: 6708 | Location: New Orleans Area | Registered: January 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post