SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What WW II German aircraft was this?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What WW II German aircraft was this? Login/Join 
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted
A screen shot from a YouTube gun camera video (at 6:03) of a downed German aircraft being strafed on the ground by an American plane.
My impression is that it was an Me 262, but I’m no authority. Possibly something else? Comments?

LINK

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BlackTalonJHP
posted Hide Post
Looks like an Me262 to me

Posts: 1059 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 18, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
The tail is distinctive to the Me262.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happiness is
Vectored Thrust
Picture of mojojojo
posted Hide Post
Yes. Definitely a ME262

Icarus flew too close to the sun, but at least he flew.

Posts: 6730 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: April 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice aerial combat footage and strafing runs in the provided link.

Does anyone know at what distance the wing mounted machine guns were calibrated to converge?

Posts: 3476 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
Me-262. They had very weak nose gear legs, so a landing on a plowed field would snap that nose gear like dry spaghetti. . .

They were wicked fast (a good 100 mph faster than most allied fighters), but had lousy accelleration and slow throttle response. Therefore, they had long, slow landing approaches. The Germans put extra AA guns on the approaches to their runways to protect the -262s, and even had extra prop fighters assigned to protect them. Still, takeoffs and landings were very dangerous for the early jets. Allied fighters got most of the -262 kills when they were trying to land.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21845 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cookster:
Does anyone know at what distance the wing mounted machine guns were calibrated to converge?

Depends, some pilots preferred to have them converge at a set distance while some preferred a spread without converging. I’ve never seen anything to suggest that the Army Airforce had a standard on how these guns were setup from aircraft to aircraft.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
The tail is distinctive to the Me262.

Yup, Me-262

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14184 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
It was a Me-262. Now it is a collection of spare parts and twisted sheet metal.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
If you like WWII aircraft stuff please look up the YT channel 'Greg's Planes and Automobiles'.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cookster:

As stated, it varied. Some units standardized at 200 yards, IIRC. Many aces advocated getting so close you couldn't miss (like 50-100 yards). Some removed the tracer bullets so as to not give their target a warning. . .

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21845 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Before this fades into oblivion, thanks to those who helped confirm my impression about the aircraft.

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
For a really unusual aircraft check out the WW II German Blohm & Voss BV 141:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blohm_%26_Voss_BV_141

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8954 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
I've heard that the ME-262 was the first aircraft to break the sound barrier. Obviously, that is difficult to prove.

Posts: 6620 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ogie:
I've heard that the ME-262 was the first aircraft to break the sound barrier. Obviously, that is difficult to prove.

"Hans Guido Mutke claimed to have broken the sound barrier on 9 April 1945 in the Messerschmitt Me 262 jet aircraft. He states that his Air Speed Indicator pegged itself at 1,100 kilometres per hour (680 mph). Mutke reported not just transonic buffeting, but the resumption of normal control once a certain speed was exceeded, then a resumption of severe buffeting once the Me 262 slowed again. He also reported engine flame-out.

This claim is widely disputed, even by pilots in his unit. All of the effects he reported are known to occur on the Me 262 at much lower speeds, and the ASI reading is simply not reliable in the transonic. Further, a series of tests made by Karl Doetsch at the behest of Willy Messerschmitt found that the plane became uncontrollable above Mach 0.86, and at Mach 0.9 would nose over into a dive that could not be recovered from. Post-war tests by the RAF confirmed these results, with the slight modification that the maximum speed using new instruments was found to be Mach 0.84, rather than Mach 0.86."

Posts: 32508 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Captain Morgan
posted Hide Post
Check out this site for unusual German aircraft. Luft 46

From what I understand the ME262 needed cover during landings when they were most vulnerable.

Many great German aces flew them.

Let all Men know thee, but no man know thee thoroughly: Men freely ford that see the shallows.
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 3865 | Location: Sparta, NJ USA | Registered: August 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post