SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Going to Vegas for first time in almost 30 years- what has changed, what to do?
Page 1 2 3 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Going to Vegas for first time in almost 30 years- what has changed, what to do? Login/Join 
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted
Wife has decided she wants a Vegas get-away. Last time I was there she stayed home, 8 months pregnant, with our now 28 year old son.

Flight and hotel booked for 2nd week in April, nothing else planned. Suggestions?

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10917 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Report This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
If you're into driving, be sure to check out Exotics Racing. (http://www.exoticsracing.com/) I had a blast and returned a second day for more driving, but it's expensive. Least expensive is $250 for five laps, but you are with a trainer the entire time and get to take home video of the experience.

Otherwise, I just went for the shows and food. I didn't do any gambling. I don't know how the other Cirque du Soleil shows compare, but I went to Ka and really enjoyed myself. Penn & Teller was a great show, also. If you and your wife aren't afraid of heights be sure to check out the skydeck at the Stratosphere, but be warned: it gets really, really windy up there.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Report This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Everything.

And everything.

Smile

I primarily go for the poker, shows (cirque, blue man, museums and aquariums, etc), and food (Hash House a Go Go, Delmonico, Morton's, Prime, Andiamo, Roy's, Mesa Grill, there's tons of good food.)

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Good walking shoes, a camera, money helps too Wink.

Where will you be staying.

Noodle Asia was a favorite of mine for lunch when I was doing SHOT. I wouldn't call it a destination but it's a good stand by.

Lawry's has good Prime Rib.

One place I've always wanted to go to and heard good things about is Lotus of Siam, for Thai food.

There's a lot to see on the Strip if don't mind walking. If you can tell us what your preferences are we might be able to give you better advice (as in, in general, what do you and your wife like to do?).

I took a drive through Red Rock Canyon after SHOT once, and it was beautiful. IIRC Hoover Dam is also within day-trip distance, if you're tired of the glitter and lights.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Jump off the Stratosphere Cool

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Report This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
I was just there in December, Also going back in April.

If you are planning on going to the museums and shows, check out the ticket booths that are on the street of the strip, they are cheaper than buying them at the venue.

If you are thinking about going to the Hoover Dam, no guns or knives allowed there, you have to pass through metal detectors and remove your belt like if you were at a court house.

May I ask what hotel you booked at?

Posts: 7415 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Where ya staying?

Everything has changed.

What do you want to eat, see, etc? The Cirque shows are fairly similar so pick the music you like best. Food is probably more expensive than you're used to but there are bargains and worthy splurges. Downtown is dirtier, louder, and more obnoxious than the Strip but lower table limits if gambling is your thing.

Posts: 4273 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Report This Post
Picture of rsd1220
posted Hide Post
BS resort fees and BS parking fees

__Phase plasma rifle in the 40-watt range__

Posts: 1113 | Location: Pangea | Registered: June 30, 2003Report This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I might just be me, but I find Vegas completely underwhelming.

Too expensive, too smokey, too dirty, too cliche'.

Short. Fat. Bald.
Costanzaesque.

Picture of TexasScrub
posted Hide Post
Try not to trip over the 'homeless' beggers lining the sidewalks. Great golf though, and food, did I mention the food?

Posts: 1979 | Location: Victoria, TX | Registered: February 11, 2012Report This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Going to Vegas for first time in almost 30 years- what has changed, what to do?

Well, the Rat Pack members are all dead, and The Sands hotel no longer exists, so that's out.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Report This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
What's changed? A friend who has lived in Vegas his entire life sums it up like this.

"When the mob ran Vegas food, rooms and shows were cheap, they wanted your money through gambling. Now that corporations run Vegas they want to make a profit on everything. It's now all expensive."

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6474 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Report This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
Unless you are a high roller, food and lodging is incredibly expensive compared to the way it used to be.

Generally speaking, gone are days of the 99 cent buffets and huge discounts on your room.

There is iron in my words of death for all to see.
So there is iron in my words of life.

Posts: 31419 | Registered: February 20, 2000Report This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 95flhr:
What's changed? A friend who has lived in Vegas his entire life sums it up like this.

"When the mob ran Vegas food, rooms and shows were cheap, they wanted your money through gambling. Now that corporations run Vegas they want to make a profit on everything. It's now all expensive."

This. I've been here over forty years & that about sums it up. When I first came here everything & everyone felt familiar. Now it seems like a giant money-suck theme park for adults to act out while away from normal life. I can't bear to go near the strip & haven't for years.

Don't get me wrong there's still plenty to do besides gamble, but it all costs much more since the last time you were here. The strip hotels are even charging for parking now.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5473 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Report This Post
Picture of PeterGV
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lbj:
Generally speaking, gone are days of the 99 cent buffets and huge discounts on your room.
Gad! I've seen the changes (like, on TV) but I wasn't aware that the fundamental basis for the place had changed.

Damn. I haven't been in 30 years+ years... looks like I'll wait another 30 to see if it changes back Smile

Posts: 1318 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: April 24, 2012Report This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
I might just be me, but I find Vegas completely underwhelming.

Too expensive, too smokey, too dirty, too cliche'.

Glad I'm not the only one.

If you have never been definitely go and do the tourist stuff. Where comfortable shoes you will do alot of walking. Glad I've done it but not top of my list to go back. Although I would go and spent my time in Red Rock just outside of Vegas. Some fun climbing out there.

If you haven't seen a Cirque du Soleil show you should. I didn't see one in Vegas but have seen one of their other shows. Very well done.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
The main thing that sums up the change to me is this:

Back when it was run by the mob, you felt like you belonged; you were in on something. A member of the club. Not that you really were, but it had that feel. You'd put on nice clothes & go out for a civilized evening. Plus there were clear lines & nobody crossed them without repercussions. The corporate mentality of today makes it feels like any other place you pay to be.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5473 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Report This Post
Picture of bmeek
posted Hide Post
If you like Italian, Il Mulino is amazing. Not cheap though. Have a great time in Las Vegas!

Posts: 261 | Location: MD | Registered: January 18, 2011Report This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Least expensive breakfast buffet I found was at Bally's, but to be honest, I didn't stray too far in search of breakfast while I was staying at the Paris hotel. Planet Hollywood's buffet was pretty damned good, though. I tried the buffets at Aria and Bellagio just to say I did them, but they're way too expensive and the food quality wasn't as amazing as I was expecting them to be.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Report This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
I don't gamble, it triggers an addictive competitiveness in me. My wife likes slots, but is able to limit herself to a set amount.

I really didn't want to go, but some friends of ours are going and invited us along and she wore me down. I even suggested she just go with them as a little getaway and I would stay home. Sort of payback for when I go off on weekend motorcycle trips and she stays home. She wasn't down for that. End of March is our 30th anniversary, so she is thinking this will be a good way to celebrate.

Plan on doing one of the Cirque de Sol.. shows, don't know which one yet. We are staying at the Linq. Will not have a car, so just centering on the strip. I'd enjoy Penn and Teller, not sure if the rest of the group would though.

I'll probably enjoy the food more than anything, thanks for the suggestions. I do pretty much all the cooking so it will be nice to be served for a change.

I'll definitely take camera gear, if nothing else taking pictures of fools and hot women is free entertainment.

Last time I was there, went to a place that rented machine guns, "The Gun Store", looks like they are still there but prices are pretty high. Probably won't go as it could never top the original experience (long story!).

Arriving on a Tue afternoon and leaving Thu morning, so not going to have too much time to fill. As too money, air/hotel package was only $400 for the two of us, relatively cheap so if I figure a grand for throwaway money it still comes out cheaper than a camera or lens (of which I have spent a lot on the past couple months...). I guess this is one of those times in a marriage where it is time for me to "give" instead of "take" Wink

Knowing my wife, I fully expect to get married (again) while we are there, she is already dropping hints (which I am ignoring...). In addition to our original wedding we got married on a whim whilst in Tiajuana so if that happens she will be my 2nd, 3rd, AND 4th wife...

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10917 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Report This Post