SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How to Tell if Your Financial Adviser Is Doing a Good Job
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How to Tell if Your Financial Adviser Is Doing a Good Job Login/Join 
posted
It’s the difficult question that anybody who uses a financial adviser wants to know: Is my adviser measuring up? Or more bluntly: Am I getting my money’s worth?

The answer is tricky, entailing both objective and subjective evaluations. But it’s also worth addressing, rather than simply letting the status quo continue out of inertia.

“It’s important to make sure that you’re really comfortable with the person you are working with—their communication style as well as the overall results that you’re getting,” says Amy Arnott, a portfolio strategist at Morningstar Research Services LLC, a unit of Morningstar Inc.

Here are five questions consumers can use to evaluate their financial adviser’s performance.

A pre-markets primer packed with news, trends and ideas. Plus, up-to-the-minute market data.

1. What am I paying for?
One objective assessment is to see how an adviser’s fees stack up against industry averages. If an adviser’s fees are widely out of range, it is worth digging deeper, especially if the higher fees don’t seem in line with the services he or she is providing.

As a rule of thumb, investors who pay fees based on assets under management might expect to pay 0.59% to 1.18% a year in fees, according to a 2021 analysis by AdvisoryHQ, a global news media and publishing company.

SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS
When you’ve worked with a financial adviser, what measures of success or failure have been most helpful to you? Join the conversation below.

Some advisers may charge fixed fees for financial planning, which can range from $7,500 to $55,000, depending on assets. Others charge hourly fees, typically between $120 and $300 an hour, according to AdvisoryHQ.

While investors might be able to figure out what they are paying in fees by looking at their monthly or quarterly statements, or by logging in to their account online, it can be confusing. There could be multiple types of fees and fee structures, and these can vary from one firm to another. The investor should feel comfortable asking an adviser to help flesh this out, and advisers should be willing to share fee information candidly.

2. How does my investment performance stack up?
Compare your portfolio performance with appropriate market benchmarks, Ms. Arnott says. While investments don’t always line up perfectly with the S&P 500 or the Russell 2000 small-stock index, for example, it is worth raising the question if your returns are significantly lower than an applicable benchmark. It is also a red flag if the adviser is not willing to provide comparative performance information, Ms. Arnott says.

Remember, too, that performance will fluctuate, especially in a volatile year like 2022. Regardless, the adviser should be communicating with clients to let them know whether they remain on track to meet their goals, she says.

Another concern would be if the adviser is making dramatic changes to the portfolio’s asset mix amid a market downturn. Asset allocations that are appropriate for a client’s time horizon and risk tolerance should not change because the market is down, Ms. Arnott says.

3. Does my adviser communicate to my liking?
Everyone’s expectations are different, but an ideal advisory relationship is collaborative, says Pam Krueger, founder of Wealthramp.com, a free referral service for vetted fiduciary advisers. Investors should ask themselves whether they are getting information on a regular enough basis to give them comfort and confidence in their plan, she says.

Roughly 42% of advisers said they connect with clients quarterly, according to an April survey by SmartAsset, a provider of consumer-focused financial information and advice. About 32% of advisers cited monthly check-ins, and 11% said they communicate weekly.

Clients should hold advisers accountable for communication preferences established early in the relationship. Likewise, advisers should respond promptly to queries—ideally within a day or two—and communicate in the way clients prefer, whether that’s email, phone or another way, says Susannah Snider, managing editor of financial education at SmartAsset.

Advisers should use plain English, so hard concepts can be more easily understood. And if working with a couple, does the adviser address both partners equally? “Both members of the couple should be comfortable with the adviser and up-to-speed on their finances since eventually one of them will pass away and the other person will be left to handle things,” Ms. Arnott says.

4. Does my adviser keep up-do-date on industry trends?
It’s a bad sign if your adviser is not familiar with the latest industry trends, including income strategies, tax-law changes and new investment types, or isn’t willing to do more research on your behalf. “Whatever it is that you care about, you want to know that your adviser knows more about it than you do,” Ms. Krueger says.

She offers the example of a woman who wanted to learn about cryptocurrency, not necessarily to invest, but to understand it better. Instead of using the opportunity as a teachable moment, her adviser of five years brushed her off, telling her he didn’t do that type of investing. She decided to switch advisers because hers came across as being “asleep at the switch,” Ms. Krueger says.

5. Does my adviser tell it to me straight?
A good adviser won’t just tell you what you want to hear. For instance, an adviser needs to be able to tell a client candidly to postpone retirement if there is a strong likelihood he’ll run out of money in his lifetime, Ms. Krueger says. The adviser should also walk clients through the math and assumptions used to reach these conclusions. “It’s not fun to share negative news with a client, but the stakes are too high, especially at retirement. An adviser needs to be able to tell you that you need to postpone retirement in order not to run out of money in your lifetime,” she says.

Ms. Winokur Munk is a writer in West Orange, N.J. She can be reached at reports@wsj.com.

Posts: 17236 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
Start with, are they a "fiduciary" using the legal definition?

Are they getting commissions from the products they sell? Do they receive ongoing fees or “trailers” from products sold or recommended?

Have they ever been disciplined by a regulatory agency?

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10926 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good points. Not surprisingly disciplinary actions are somewhat hard to find. If you are dealing with a full service brokerage you can probably rest easy as they do not want a crook in their office even if they generate lots of fees. There is a certain due diligence involved.

Posts: 17236 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
One place you can check for some information about your financial advisor is https://brokercheck.finra.org/

From their "about" page.
https://www.finra.org/about

quote:
FINRA—the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority—is a government-authorized not-for-profit organization that oversees U.S. broker-dealers.

Posts: 4128 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I think it's pretty easy -- is he making money for me, or am I losing?

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:

Are they getting commissions from the products they sell? Do they receive ongoing fees or “trailers” from products sold or recommended?

I agree with this. I’d start here

Posts: 4110 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:

This.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11281 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
Your financial advisor is doing a good job when you aren't. Generally speaking. There are exceptions I suspect for feduciaries.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8682 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
Compare his performance against, any S&P500 index fund. if the YoY of that fund is beating him he's not working for you.

Posts: 8146 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
<snip>
Ms. Winokur Munk is a writer in West Orange, N.J. She can be reached at reports@wsj.com.

Her first name is a bit cumbersome. I wonder if her nickname is “Chip”. Smile

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8954 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^
It is actually Felonious

Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
<snip>

Her first name is a bit cumbersome. I wonder if her nickname is “Chip”. Smile

A few weeks ago I ran into two women I knew from photography school back in the early 80s. At the time, both were recent graduates of an alcohol rehab, and they were clinging to each other as a partial defense against drinking again. I mention this because both are still sober (like 40 years) and what surprised me is both are now Buddhist nuns (like 35 years). So there may be another wino cure monk out there.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31441 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post

Big Grin

Posts: 32509 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post