SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Best additive(s) for long term diesel storage?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best additive(s) for long term diesel storage? Login/Join 
Live for today.
Tomorrow will
cost more
Picture of motor59
posted
I've got a small diesel tractor at a piece of land thats fairly remote to me - this may someday become my retirement place.
At the moment, I only get there once/twice per year, so I take the battery with be when I leave. I always top off the tank via Jerry cans before I go, but I'm a little concerned about the fuel getting funky or growing algae.
What's the recommendation of additives to keep long term stored diesel clean and potent?

suaviter in modo, fortiter in re

Posts: 3142 | Location: Exit 7 NJ | Registered: March 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Suppressed
posted Hide Post
I would add Biobor and fill it to the brim.
http://www.biobor.com/products/biobor-jf-diesel/

Posts: 3232 | Location: MD | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
I have had good luck with Stanadyne additives.
https://promo.parker.com/promo...additives/us/en/home

Living the Dream

Posts: 4016 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
PRI-G

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Your right to be concerned. I had an algae problem in a forklift. The algae gummed up the injection pump and forced me to disassemble and rebuild it along with pressure washing the inside of the tank.

Posts: 512 | Location: Pearland, Tx | Registered: June 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
From what I've been reading Seafoam is good.
Don't know if it is the absolute optimum or not but supposed to be good.

Posts: 22929 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
Microbial colonies, sometimes incorrectly referred to as algae, are actually bacteria or fungus. Algae needs light to live and grow, there is no sunlight in a closed fuel tank so algae cannot survive.

Make sure you fill your diesel tank after use. I have heard the debate back and forth about Algae growing in diesel fuel, it can grow in the water. Either way, it's best to fill up the tank and use an additive to prolong the life of the fuel.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4016 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Pri-D. Pri-G for gasoline

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I deal with long term storage of LOTS of diesel in LOTS of different fuel tanks that sits around sometimes for 6-24 months on yachts. In order to get Algae- you need heat (warm temperatures), moisture in the fuel, and air. All of which are present on yachts as the tanks are vented.

Biobor I would stay away from as it kills the algae, clumps it up and it all clogs the fuel filters. It's a good product if you use it from day 1 in a crystal clean tank/machine. If you use it and already have algae, it makes a giant mess.

Pri-D is a fairly good product.

The best product I've found is from Power Service. Their Bio Kleen is an excellent product at keeping algae away. It can be ordered through Napa or directly. Their Clear Tank additive will completely eat the algae from the tank sides and fuel, I've used it with excellent results. https://powerservice.com/psp_p...diesel-fuel-biocide/

The best thing you can do is put a Racor primary fuel/water separator filter on the machine. The turbine series like the 500 FG, with a see through bowl. You can run a 2 micron element that will filter out almost all of the algae before it gets to the engine filters and engine. I usually use a 10 micron, but on engines using up to 95 gph on the 1000 LPH filters, so lots of flow through the filters. The elements are cheap and incredibly easy to change, and come in 2,10 or 30 microns. You can change the elements in 1 minute, with no tools and don't need a diesel can either.

https://usdieselparts.com/i-13...G2%20%7C%20%24206.29

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another vote for PS Bio Kleen. its my favorite if you are not already fighting the issues.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11009 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arflattop
posted Hide Post
I’ve used Stanadyne since 2004. Three tractors with varying amounts of use, and I’ve never had a fuel related problem.

JPFO Life Member

Posts: 1216 | Location: Heartland of KY | Registered: January 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Stanadyne is good stuff from a supplier who likely knows the issues of modern diesels, but I don't see and have never seen locally a product that is intended for storage. I don't see one on their site either. What product are you suggesting?

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11009 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post