SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Apple Watch? I just bought a stainless series 1. Anything or any tips I should know?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Apple Watch? I just bought a stainless series 1. Anything or any tips I should know? Login/Join 
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted
I wanted to ask the Sigforum brain trust. From all I’ve read, the series one should suit my needs just fine.

I feel like I got decent deal. It isn’t scheduled to arrive until Thursday but I’m hoping for sooner!

Thank you in advance.

Posts: 3448 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have no experience with the Series 1. I have a Series 3 and really like it. I was an Apple hater til my then-girlfriend (now wife) bought me an iPhone 5 for Christmas in 2011. Since then, I've just conceded that I was always going to have an iPhone. She got me the watch for my birthday last year; same deal. I'll probably never have a different kind of watch.

Check Amazon for a good rugged watchband if you need one. I am a cop and I wear a SupCase UB Pro band for the added protection. I never feel I have to be excessively careful with it at work.

https://www.amazon.com/SUPCASE...atible/dp/B077D118JY

May our caskets be made of hundred-year oak, and may we plant those trees tomorrow.

Posts: 814 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: January 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
My wife and I each have the series 2 and both of our children and their spouses have series 4. The 2s are waterproof compared to the series 1.

I guess we will upgrade to the 5s when they come out. The health benefits are paramount.

I have a coworker who took a fall this past winter on an icy sidewalk. He was heading back to his hotel while on a business trip. He hit his head and suffered a severe concussion. He was just across the street from his hotel and wasn’t wearing gloves. By the time he came to, he frostbit his fingers to the point he was in danger of losing them. Three months later he has recovered about 90%.

Fortunately he is okay but a series 4 would have called 911 for help as it detects Falls. My friend is about 45. What’s that worth?

We originally thought of these as gimmicks but we use many of the different apps daily —- plus they tell the time.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4242 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
Having a heart condition I went with the 4.
Great for keeping tabs of my EEG.

Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4581 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Be gentle removing the charger. Best to slide it off. The series 1 had glue that weakened allowing it to be pulled apart.

Posts: 17903 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
My wife bought me the Series 3 for my birthday last year. I like it but the battery charge on mine only lasts about 2 days so charge it once a day. I usually charge it during my computer time and once I get up, it goes back on my wrist.

The Apple watch actually allowed my wife and I to go back to sleeping in the same bed again. I wake very early; between 3:00am to 4:30am. My wife was working swing shift and wasn't getting home until 10pm. The silent alarm vibration was strong enough to wake me which meant I didn't have to sleep in a separate bedroom and have an audible alarm. I swipe up and hit the night button and the silent button and the alarm will go to vibrate. I set alarms to go off every 30 minutes in the morning until I'm up and out of bed.

I do like the step counter and the heart rate monitor. I didn't get the EKG model though. We are 100% Apple products. MacBooks, iPads, iPhones, Apple watches and Apple TV so my phone is already intertwined with my Apple watch so I can read texts and take calls on my watch. Your Apple Watch will connect to your Activity and Health app on your phone and you can track your heart rate and steps per day. It also tracks your time standing and in the workout zone.

If you're driving and you have Maps open on your phone, the directions show up on your watch and it vibrates when you're supposed to make a turn so you don't miss it.

There are a lot of other cool features that I don't use, but that's about it for me. Mine is waterproof to a point. Yours IS NOT!

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5416 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone. I feel as if I’m really going to want a series 3 in short order.

Oz, I wonder if Apple will fix it if the back comes off?

Posts: 3448 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
It really depends what you want it for, I have a handmedown 1 and its fine for what I want (text / phone / alarm notifications).

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I've been using a Series 1 (2016 model, aka: "Series 1, Gen. 2") Apple Watch for two years as of June. It's been working like a charm. I love this thing.

Other than lack of water resistance (I believe it's "light splash-resistant," but that's all), I have absolutely no reason to upgrade.

Two words: Apple Pay. On the Apple Watch it's a Beautiful Thing Smile

More...

Notifications. I'm using apps for both our alarm and surveillance systems. I get notifications on my watch for both.

Navigation. The Watch will buzz your wrist and show the turn direction on impending turns.

Count-down timer. I use it all the time. I use the alarm--all the time.

I use the exercise apps when working out--just to track my time and progress.

Did I mention I just love my Apple Watch? Big Grin

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't need anything else in my life that requires recharging.
Did you hear that, Tesla?

Posts: 2560 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
If you’d have asked me a few months ago I’d have said I’d never own a smart watch. But about 3 weeks ago I bought a series 4 iWatch and already figure that I’ll own a smart watch for the rest of my life. It’s really handy.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15259 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BennerP220:
Thanks everyone. I feel as if I’m really going to want a series 3 in short order.

Oz, I wonder if Apple will fix it if the back comes off?

An Apple Store may. It can be hit or miss given the age now. I know backs and screens coming off were being fixed/replaced up until at least 2018.

Posts: 17903 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
quote:
I wonder if Apple will fix it if the back comes off?
An Apple Store may. It can be hit or miss given the age now. I know backs and screens coming off were being fixed/replaced up until at least 2018.
I had a first generation ("Series 0") that I bought from a member here. After about six months, the display screen started to lift off. I though it was bad adhesive, but a little googling revealed that the battery was swelling up and forcing the front of the watch to come loose.

Apple paid for shipping both ways, replaced the watch instead of repairing it, no cost. I noticed that the replacement was a later model, Series 2.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30743 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
Did you take it an Apple store or just call Apple?

quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
quote:
I wonder if Apple will fix it if the back comes off?
I had a first generation ("Series 0") that I bought from a member here. After about six months, the display screen started to lift off. I though it was bad adhesive, but a little googling revealed that the battery was swelling up and forcing the front of the watch to come loose.

Apple paid for shipping both ways, replaced the watch instead of repairing it, no cost. I noticed that the replacement was a later model, Series 2.

posted Hide Post
I had a series 1 and currently have a series 2 black stainless. This site has a lot of helpful info.

https://forums.macrumors.com/t...os-4-3-beta.1877547/

NRA Endowment Member
USAF 1958-1970
Master Instructor 1969-1970
Georgia Gun Owners Member

Posts: 237 | Location: Atlanta, GA, USA | Registered: February 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:

Did you take it an Apple store or just call Apple?
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail

I'm hearing impaired, so I don't make too many calls.

The support page on the Apple website offers a chat facility. I used that. Easier for me to type than to try to hear on the telephone.

I just told the Apple rep that I had a battery swelling problem on a watch; he asked for my address, and sent a pre-paid shipping box. I put the watch in it, sent it off to the Apple Mother Ship, and a couple days later I received an email telling me that the battery was indeed defective and they would be sending me a replacement watch.

Easy-peasy, from the comfort of my own home, rather than make an appointment at The Apple Store, drive over there, look for a parking place, go into the store on time, wait around for at least 20 minutes because they are always behind schedule . . . You get the picture.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30743 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of skonie
posted Hide Post
I ordered a couple for the wife and myself. I have no experience with the watch but have been an iPhone user since they debuted in 2007. Looking forward to it. Big downside is I won’t be able to wear the watch at work.

Posts: 1513 | Location: NV | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
Thank you Oz and Vtail. I appreciate all the responses from everyone.

I stopped drinking a few months ago and am trying to take my health and exercise seriously.

I know me and will get this series one and want a newer or new one. I have had an iphone
For several years now. I’m looking forward to this new chapter.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BennerP220,

Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
I received my series one today and I am very impressed! It is in excellent condition and everything seems to work flawlessly.

Like others have said, how’d I ever live without this contraption!?

Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
I spoke too soon. Having trouble charging it. Keeps going dead then restarting.