SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Cooking Easy to Peel Hard Boiled Eggs - What is the Secret?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cooking Easy to Peel Hard Boiled Eggs - What is the Secret? Login/Join 
Picture of barndg00
posted Hide Post
I have tried just about every way I could to get easy to peel eggs. I've tried vinegar, several different cooking methods (cold water start, rolling boil start, ice baths, slow cool down, etc), tried the hole in shell method. Nothing works 100% except the pressure cooker. Pressure cooker method doesn't care if eggs are fresh or old - they peel perfect every time.

1" water in pressure cooker
Place eggs on steamer basket (can stack two baskets for 2doz eggs)
Seal and heat with 5# weight.
Cook for 5 min when reaches pressure.
Turn off heat and let sit for 5 minutes.
Remove weight, open when pressure gets to zero.
Remove eggs to ice water bath, peel when cool.

You can do this in an Intant Pot also, just convert for the 5# pressure.

Posts: 2155 | Location: NC | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For the last 4 years, I have made 1-2 doz “boiled” eggs daily at work for co-workers. I use my DASH egg steamer. I usually buy my eggs a couple weeks in advance and let them age in the fridge. My routine at work is to get them out of the fridge the night before, steam them in the morning for about 10 minutes and dunk them into cold water. It’s a rarity to have the eggs hard to peel. I figure I’ve cooked over 10,000 eggs in that DASH egg cooker. We like ours soft boiled so the yolk is still a bit soft.

Posts: 12 | Location: Ashland, Ohio | Registered: March 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Instant pot is now on my to buy list.

Thanks!

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34132 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MeatMan:
I guess I must be the lucky one who gets old eggs from the grocery, as mine are always simple to peel and I don't do anything special. Bring the water to a rolling boil, put eggs in, drop heat to a strong simmer for 12 minutes. dunk in cold water immediately. Put in Fridge.
I can peel them with one hand.

This. If u put the eggs in the water before boiling u get hard to peel. U have to not put them in until boiling then take em out and put in an ice bath

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8228 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post